Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Suggest-A-Movie question..

kharacterx

Thanks for the info. But what if TCM doesn't own it? Because I'm assuming they don't. I don't think they ever aired the movie. I been looking for it on TCM forever. The movie is called 'East of Eden'. It stars James Dean, Julie Harris and Raymond Masey. It's directed by Elia Kazan. You would think a movie directed by Elia Kazan and starring the people I mentioned would be aired on TCM.

Anymore information would be great, thanks.

Although Turner does not own post 1950 Warner Brothers titles, the ususally have access to them, as their parent company is Time Warner. However, I've never seen East of Eden on TCM before. Ocassionally TCM plays films out of their library. Those films are ususlly Universal (Pillow Talk, It's A Date) or Columbia (Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, It Happened One Night), or MGM/UA (any United Artists or Samuel Goldwyn picture you see on TCM). On very rare occasions they might play a Paramount title (The Heiress was on recently), and on even rarer occasions, a 20th Century Fox title (usually a Tyrone Power picture).

As you can see, I'm a James Dean fan. I literally looked all over for East of Eden at video stores. No one seems to have it. Seems like the movie is really rare. Maybe TCM would like to air it but just can't find a decent copy to air, or can't find a copy at all!

They show post 1950 Warner's like Giant by getting permission, and probably paying a leasing fee, to the rights holder, which is Warner Bros.

As to why they don't air it, maybe they can't get permission. As to not finding a copy to air, I would doubt that as the video was released on Warner Home Video, so I would assume that Warner's still has at least a copy. Quality has never been a true issue. A couple of films that are shown occasionally have blemishes on them.

EAST OF EDEN is still elusive. I can remember when our university film society was trying to book it in the early '80s. We thought we were getting a widescreen print -- we had the anamorphic lenses set up on the projectors -- but it turned out to be a pan-and-scan academy aperture version. On top of that, the color was so badly out of register that James Dean's face was actually a pale green!

We announced all this to audiences at each showing, and offered refunds to the dissatisfied, but to our surprise and great relief, nobody asked for one. Over the years, we heard the same thing from other college film societies -- that when promised a widescreen print of EAST OF EDEN, they got the pan-and-scan print.

It was only a few years ago that I heard of a real widescreen print of the film making the rounds of the revival houses, but nothing since then.