Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kimpunkrock

Cary Grant

I am a huge Cary Grant fan. I really love the 2 WordOfMouth (this is what they are called) pieces about Cary that TCM plays from time to time in between the movies. One is done by Tony Curtis and the other is done by Michael Caine.

Some of my fav Cary movies are:

The Eagle and the Hawk 1933

Notorious 1946

North by Northwest

Only Angels Have Wings 1939

Father Goose 1964

Destination Tokyo 1943

Wings in the Dark 1935

Holiday 1938

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House 1948

The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer 1947

I was a Male War Bride 1949

Arsenic and Old Lace 1944

He is one of my all time favorite actors. I relate to him a lot. A lot of things happen in my life that remind me of things that happen to the characters he plays.

Lets discuss Cary Grant instead of cookies or some modern film that everyone likes but me.

-

kim

Ps. Right now I am watching The Grass is Always Greener. I love how Robert Mitchum and Grant are finally in a picture together. This is a sexy adult comedy. I am enjoying it.

Cary Grant is, if you'll forgive the pun, often taken for granted. I think film critic and author David Thomson speaks of him as film's greatest all around actor.

There is something about the way he plays comedy, he has that biting wit that could turn his charming face into a scathing scowl at any moment. That underlying menace that Hitchcock used so well.

Having said that, he is the most charming of Hollywood actors , and he had a great gift for physical comedy. It's said that he disliked his performance in "Arsenic and Old Lace", and he does a lot of mugging in that film. Isn't that part of the joke though? That he, the only sane one in the family, is acting like a nut while the rest of the family appears completely comfortable in their own wacked out skins.

I thought the film was too over the top when I first saw it but on subsequent viewings I find it a laugh riot. The little things like telling Peter Lorre to "quit underplaying I can't hear you" those lines are priceless.

I'm suprised you didn't mention his films with Irene Dunne. In "The Awful Truth" and "My Favorite Wife" I think she comes closest to matching him mearsure for mearsure in comedic ability.

Message was edited by: molo14

Do you remember when the buzz was going around that Hugh Grant was the next Cary Grant? I'm sorry, but there is only ONE Cary Grant and Hugh isn't him. However, I have enjoyed a few of Hugh Grant's films, but NO WAY is he CARY GRANT! :x to Cary!

Grant's my favorite actor.

I can't add what's already been stated here. Unfortunately, most of Cary's contemporaries aren't given the credit they should be for being fine actors. Grant, Bogart, Cooper, Wayne, and others of the pre-Brando era are primarily considered to be movie stars who are solely known for being either the tough guy or the dashing leading man. They could use their on-screen personas for a variety of roles and genres throughout their careers.

I'm going to try and watch Only Angels Have Wings again next week on TCM. It's a masterpiece, and one of Cary's best roles.

BTW, I need to see The Grass is Greener again. It's been a while since it's been on TCM. Jean Simmons, as I remember, stole the show from Grant, Kerr, and Mitchum.

A few favorites:

Notorious

Only Angels Have Wings

His Girl Friday

North By Northwest

Bringing Up Baby

Charade

Arsenic and Old Lace

Father Goose

The Awful Truth

Mr. Lucky

Message was edited by: sweetsmellofsuccess

It's been reiterated a million times, but I never tire of the exchange between Grant and a reporter who said, "Everyone would like to be Cary Grant," to which Grant replied, "So would I."

I love most of your film choices there, Kim. I'd add:

Topper (1937)

His Girl Friday (1940)

The Philadelphia Story (1940)

The Talk of the Town (1942)

Mr. Lucky (1943)

None But the Lonely Heart (1944)

Monkey Business (1952)

To Catch a Thief (1955)

Operation Petticoat (1959)

Charade (1963)

I haven't seen The Eagle and the Hawk or Wings in the Dark. How are they?

A very underrated actor who most people considered just a personality.

He was usually only known for his comedic skills which were amazing in themselves. Look at the scenes in His Girl Friday (1940), where he and Russell run though lines at 80 miles and hour, yet they are perfectly in sync and taking every hairpin turn together. Bringing up Baby (1939) shows a totally different personality type and great physical comedy.

Comedy is timing. It's not so much what you say as how you say it. Unfortunately, the Academy doesn't really hand out Oscars for comedy roles which is a shame, because it shows how little some people know about acting. If they were to see the lines on paper before seeing the film, perhaps they would have a greater appreciation for what these gifted people do with their roles.

When Grant did step into drama, he was as good as anyone in the business. Films Like Notorious (1946) and Crisis (1950) showed quite a different side of Grant. One he should have probably explored more. Clifford Odettes' None but the Lonely Heart (1944) pushed the envelope of his skills and is a great performance. In Name Only (1939) is another fine example.

It frustrates me to no end when I'm told (once by a TCM poster) "Cary Grant just played the same role over and over." These people are fooled by his ability to create a great part or line and make it work within his style.

My personal favorite of his moments on film, is in Only Angels Have Wings (1939) when Jean Arthur realizes he is crying over the death of the Kid. It's a beautiful shot--and it's Cary Grant.

Ah well, to each his own. As I said, I really like the dramatic work he did and wish TCM would play those films more often.

Oh I love Cary Grant!!! He is one of my absolute favorite actors.

My top 5 fave films by Mr. Grant:

1. Notorious

2. The Philadelphia Story

3. The Awful Truth

4. Charade

5. Arsenic & Old Lace

I?m amazed that I?m actually familiar with the majority of the films mentioned, because I?m so disorganized in my viewing habits and have such a bad memory for titles. Faves include North by Northwest, Only Angels Have Wings, Father Goose, To Catch A Thief, The Bishop?s Wife, and Charade. Father Goose I could seemingly watch indefinitely, judging from how I responded when AMC re-ran it constantly last year. It?s easier to think of those I don?t care for, such as My Favorite Wife, Topper, Arsenic and Old Lace, and Suspicion. I?ve tried to watch Arsenic and Old Lace three or four times but can never get more than twenty minutes into it due to how farcical it is. And though Topper offends because of it?s shallow supernatural premise, The Bishop?s Wife seems transcendent. Go figure. He was an amazing talent, as that bio TCM features every once in a while makes clear.

I love to watch Cary Grant. He is one of my favorites too!! A true gentleman. I am surprised to see quite a few movies mentioned here that I haven't seen! I definitely will put them on my netflix. It's hard for me to pick one favorite movie of his but some of my tops are:

His Girl Friday

An Affair to Remember

The Philadelphia Story

To Catch a Thief

Bringing Up Baby

I have Penny Serenade next on my list to watch.

I positively ADORE HIM!

my top 6 favorites are Notorious, Indiscreet, An Affair to Remember, His Girl Friday, Bringing Up Baby & Holiday.

I love this thread. Now I hate to say this but I am surprised at myself for not having known much of his work until this month. I don't like the term matinee idol which has been so associated with him.

But he is my biggest delight this month in watching 31 days of Oscar. I have to say I love every single take on this man.

When I saw My Favorite Wife for the first time, I was glued. I'm not saying it was his best. But I was captivated. And he and Doris Day. Wow.

One reader here metioned Hugh Grant and I remember that comparison early on. It sizzled.

But I would say if anyone today is of this fashion it would be George Clooney who finally has convinced me he can act. Talent, looks, mature, silly, fun, humanitarian and does what most great actors do the best, make their co-star look pricesless.

That is Grant. And Clooney has the makings but will never match up to Grant in totality. I just think George is what we have today if a comparison is to be made.

Thanks for doing this Kim.

Robert

CCbaxter---

A few of the films on your list I have never seen:

The Talk of the Town (1942)

Mr. Lucky (1943)

None But the Lonely Heart (1944)

Monkey Business (1952)

To Catch a Thief (1955)

I tried watching To Catch A Thief when it was on TV but I fell asleep.

The Eagle and The Hawk is an amazing WW1 story about flyers in England. It also stars Fredric March. This movie has one of the best endings of all the WWI flyer pictures I have ever seen. If I was ever a guest programmer, this is one title I would play. It is from 1933 and is not out on DVD. TCM does play it from time to time, that is where I first saw it. I also own the video and a year or so ago it cost me almost 20 dollars for the VHS copy off of Amazon. Cary Grant is amazing in this picture. So young and brash. This movie also had Carole Lombard.

(The Eagle and the Hawk)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023973/

Wings in the Dark is available on DVD in the Cary Grant Screen Legends Collection. This is also a flying picture that co-stars Myrna Loy in their first screen pairing. This time Cary is an aeronautical researcher and Myrna a daring female stunt pilot. They collaborate on an experiment for blind flying, which paved the way for commercial aviation. Wings in the Dark is from 1935. The DVD set that contains this film contains 5 of Cary's films from the 1930's. I paid a very good price for this set used on amazon. I highly recommend it.

(Wings in the Dark)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027221/

The other films in this set are:

(all are from the 1930's)

Kiss and Make Up

Thirty Day Princess

Big Brown Eyes

Wedding Present

Wings in the Dark

Every Cary Grant fan should pic up this set. Especially if u love films from the 30's like me.

-

kim

Kim as I said below I really have not followed him until this month. Give me the top three that you would say are must see's. And I will. You have not mentioned, if I am correct, My Favorite Wife, his timing was brilliant. Anything you'd recommend along that line.

To Bio-

Ok I would recommend seeing these 3 films:

The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

I was A Male War Bride.

All three of these films are extremely funny. Definitely good to watch, esp. if you need to laugh.

All of them are available on DVD!!!

Enjoy-

kim

Thanks for the info, Kim. I haven't seen any of the films in the box set. Hopefully someday I can say I've seen all his films.

Actually, my favorites are "People Will Talk", "Kiss them for Me" and "Mr. Blandings builds his Dream House"

Agree with "Holiday" and "Affair to Remember"!! Have to add--"Arsenic and Old Lace", "Penny Serenade", "Suspicion", "North by Northwest", and "My Favorite Wife".

Message was edited by: lidash

For anyone who's a fan of Bringing Up Baby, do treat yourself to the 2 disk DVD. Peter Bogdanovich provides a very entertaining and informative commentary track.

Bogdanovich's "What's Up Doc" is a very funny tribute to screwball comedies. I think it's most closely associated with "Bringing Up Baby" but the courtroom scene is definitely borrowed from "My Favorite Wife" particularly the judge. Granville Bates was hilarious as the judge in MFW. The scenes with him, Grant, Dunne, Randolph Scott, and Gail Patrick are just classic.

Cary's first feature appearance THIS IS THE NIGHT (1932) is also quite good. The cast includes Charlie Ruggles, Thelma Todd, and Lily Damita.

Cary Grant is one of my favorite actors. He made everything seem so effortless. I especially like him playing against type in FATHER GOOSE and TALK OF THE TOWN.

I don't think I could choose a favorite film of his--some that I've watched over and over are:

THE BISHOP'S WIFE (who better to play an angel than Cary!)

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY

BRINGING UP BABY

NORTH BY NORTHWEST

Has anyone seen CRISIS? I have it recorded from TCM, but haven't watched it.

Sandy K

Cary Grant did make it all look easy, I liked him in North by northwest ,and every movie I've seen him in, My 7 year old liked Father Goose ( I Think its the title she Likes,,,LOL) But she wanted me to recored it for her,, I did enjoy him playing a reluctant hero, and realizing theres more to life then his bottle,..

Crisis is a very good political drama. Cary Grant and Jose Ferrer deliver first-rate performances.

It was Richard Brooks' directorial debut, and he does a solid job.

I wish Crisis would appear more often on TCM. It's overlooked in Grant's filmography.