Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GWTW Named All Time Favorite in Poll

MissGoddess

Wow, Frankie, really Gone with the Wind as #2 book?

I'm a baby boomer, mid-century modern myself, and would not pick chose #1 or #2 as my faves.

Wonder what that says about me?

I think you are a woman who continues to seek out modern entertainment and enlightenment. Your tastes continue to migrate whereas others have settled down. By the way, I really like that about you. I think you are very open-minded. Your doors remain open.

How about favorite book:

those with a post graduate education are tied as both Lord of the Rings and

To Kill a Mockingbird come in number two for them. >>

To Kill a Mockingbird . Must be that post grad degree I never went for but the movie is ingrained in my DNA and I read the book when I was eleven and have loved it ever since.

Whenever I see the words "To Kill a Mockingbird," I now think of you. I know how much you love the book and film.

#2 favorite book ( a tie):

The Civil War by Shelby Foote (way more historically accurate and much better read than *GWTW*) Though when I was young, I loved the book very much. But as I got older I still like the book, love the movie but would not rate either one as my #2 favorite. And I have Southern roots, go figure.

The Parade's Gone By by Kevin Brownlow.

So I guess that begs the question with me, which came first my love of history or my love of movies?

My love of movies. I think.

Documentarians tend to be historical creatures. They are researchers at heart.

"Gone with the Wind" is a book many young girls look to read, especially those in the South. It's clearly an awe-inspiring book and film for young women.

Personally, I agree with Dorothy Parker, that *Vanity Fair* by Thackeray is the most entertaining book ever written. She read the book religiously once a year (how she found time to read the 800 page, 67 chapter book and write her own remarkable prose and poetry, I'll never know). It has everything.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Speak your blasphemy, Scarlett. Speak it! Put that red dress of yours on and wear plenty of rouge.

Miss Jackie knows my fondness for Mr. T's Vanity Fair---she, me and Sweet Tea discussed it (among other "trashy" British society novels). In case she doesn't know, it is my favorite novel---yes, even more so than GWTW, which was in fact influenced by Thackeray's "heroine".

Howdy, Traitoress -- Miss Jackie knows my fondness for Mr. T's Vanity Fair---she, me and Sweet Tea discussed it (among other "trashy" British society novels). In case she doesn't know, it is my favorite novel---yes, even more so than GWTW, which was in fact influenced by Thackeray's "heroine".

Thankfully, I missed that trashy discussion.

Hi, Nat -- Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.....FRANK!

I feel cheated. Little Miss Gone with the Wind is nothing but a fraud! I'm crestfallen. The

next thing she's gonna say is that she's given up cupcakes.

Oh, for goodness sake! I am not a fraud! It's the movie I love the most, more

than the book!

Your most recent post on this hideous thread of yours was about Gone with the

Wind, the BOOK, being named the second most popular BOOK by clueless

Americans. For once, I agree with you, Americans have horrendous taste. :P

Then, to my great dismay and horror, I find out that you don't consider it your

second favorite book. You, a Southern belle of the most annoying degree, actually

prefer British society BS. I'm shaken. My world is crashing down. To think I believed

you actually loved Gone with the Wind with all your heart, yet you were only using

it. You never loved Rhett. You love... Sir Pomp and Priss Whoever. DisGRACEful.

You behave or we will seat you next to Mrs. Railton-Bell, who will talk your ear

off about British society.

I'd rather sit next to Mrs. Whosits because she probably won't rip my heart out like

a certain phony Scarlett.

> Oh, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease, spare me!

>

> I would NEVER betray darling Rhett, my own true love.

>

> You just admitted that you love another man! You love Sir Ashley, not Rhett. Why

> must you women use men like this? No loyalty whatsoever. None.

Ha haaa!! Me love ASHLEY WILKES??? I never really loved him!

It's your move. :P

ClarkVivplaychinesecheckers.jpg

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I'm very curious about that picture. Do you suppose Gable often read while driving?

lol! The expression on his face makes me think his next move was to toss it out the window.

lol! The expression on his face makes me think his next move was to toss it out the window.

That's the same expression and thought I have whenever I'm chatting with you.

Ha haaa!! Me love ASHLEY WILKES??? I never really loved him!

You certainly gave a good imitation of it, up till this morning. No, Scarlett, I tried everything. If you'd only met me half way, even when I came back from the snooty British society crap that you women somehow find romantic.

I see Scarlett is wearing her bridal gown in that picture.

One of these days I hope to find and post the funniest picture taken on the set of GWTW. It's from Melanie's birthing scene and it shows her in bed with a compress on her head, looking like she's at death's door, with Scarlett sitting beside her and between them they are reading Margaret Mitchell's book. They look as though reading the novel was more killing than birthing that baby.

I'll keep searching for it.

You certainly gave a good imitation of it, up till this morning. No, Scarlett, I tried everything. If you'd only met me half way, even when I came back from the snooty British society crap that you women somehow find romantic.

I'm so sorry! But you were so nasty about it! :P

I see Scarlett is wearing her bridal gown in that picture.

I'm in mourning because I'd heard the delightful news you'd been HANGED.

Or, at least....

TheTestofCourage.jpg

I'm so sorry! But you were so nasty about it! :P

And then when you were sick, it was all my fault... I hoped against hope that you'd call for me, but you didn't. Instead, you called out for Sir Ashley Pomp and BS. I hope you two enjoy a wonderful life together. You're meant for each other.

I'm in mourning because I'd heard the delightful news you'd been HANGED. Or, at least....

That'll be the day.

> I'm so sorry! But you were so nasty about it! :P

>

> And then when you were sick, it was all my fault... I hoped against hope that you'd call for me, but you didn't.

No you didn't! You were out with that Belle!

Hi, Miss Lady of the Night -- No you didn't! You were out with that Belle!

I was not! I was at a political meeting. Ask anyone.

Howdy, SWEET T -- okay honey boy, what is going on? SWEET april has just S. O. S. ed me because you are being so mean! heehee!

You really need to stop playing with your imaginary doll "April."

such treachery flows from the mouth of a person whom picks on rhett butler and mr paul! how cruel!. wow im pretty good at larry oiliver talk.

Ask Treacherous Larry if he knows where Rebecca is. Her and Bunny Lake seem to have gone missing. I'm thinking Smithy murdered them both.

Ask Treacherous Larry if he knows where Rebecca is. Her and Bunny Lake seem to have gone missing. I'm thinking Smithy murdered them both

All this bad mouthing of Englishmen...I'm starting to think you are Anglophobic Mr Grimes... :P