Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GWTW Named All Time Favorite in Poll

MissGoddess

No, dear, not brainwashed; just suckers for a good romantic story.

Jane Austen is the master of subtle romance.Perhaps there are those who find her work too predictable, but that is one of the things I like about her work; you know what you're going to get.

You've heard of comfort foods? Well I like comfort movies ( that doesn't mean I don't like comfort food,though ! )

Hi, CB! It's always a pleasure.

No, dear, not brainwashed; just suckers for a good romantic story.

Same thing.

Jane Austen is the master of subtle romance.Perhaps there are those who find

her work too predictable, but that is one of the things I like about her work; you

know what you're going to get.

So what are you getting, a bunch of British snobs in silly costumes at a ball? :D

You've heard of comfort foods? Well I like comfort movies ( that doesn't mean I don't like comfort food,though ! )

I didn't know snobbery was a comfort to you. I thought you were more relaxed than that. I understand some of the other gals around here being snippy and prissy, but not you.

Boy, you sure know how to make a woman feel missed.

You have to understand that the British have their way of being.There are plenty of American movies with the same plot of boy meets girl, girl is poor,boy is rich ....or vice versa.The story is universal.

Give me a minute to think of them.

I read that you mentioned "Love Story", isn't the plot the same thing? Don't tell me it's not.Take away the manners,beautiful scenery,clothes and the subtlety and you've got your story.

Come on Frankie, ya can't deny it ! Gotcha !

Oh, no? What about this:

we need someone to drown in the chocolate!

slip of the keys? will you believe that? heehee!

You only want the gloves so that you don't get chocolate on your princessy hands.

well that's part of it, but i love gloves and wouldnt do anything to make them dirty!

I don't know where your pretend doll went to school, but I know the Goddess was head of her class at Finishing School.

knowing april, she probably went to a respectable school! so there!

loverly screen cap, but that wont cut it. you can just make my day! heehee!

this is so much fun!

Hola, CB! -- Boy, you sure know how to make a woman feel missed.

Among other things.

You have to understand that the British have their way of being.There are plenty of American movies with the same plot of boy meets girl, girl is poor,boy is rich ....or vice versa.The story is universal.

Universally bad.

Give me a minute to think of them.

I read that you mentioned "Love Story", isn't the plot the same thing? Don't tell me it's not.Take away the manners,beautiful scenery,clothes and the subtlety and you've got your story.

Please, take them away.

Come on Frankie, ya can't deny it ! Gotcha !

:D

Howdy, Princess Priss -- Oh, no? What about this:

we need someone to drown in the chocolate!

slip of the keys? will you believe that? heehee!

Uh-huh. What I'm learning is that Jane Austen teaches girls to be spoiled, demanding, and violent.

You only want the gloves so that you don't get chocolate on your princessy hands.

well that's part of it, but i love gloves and wouldnt do anything to make them dirty!

Your nose is growing.

I don't know where your pretend doll went to school, but I know the Goddess was head of her class at Finishing School.

knowing april, she probably went to a respectable school! so there!

Knowing Miss Goddess it WAS a respectable school.

dont listen to him cinemabuff! you will drown in the cheese fondue he has hidden from all of us.

we have all been trying desperately to get frankiefurter to watch Pride and Prejudice, but he wont listen. he is being OBSTINATE. heehee!

no dont take them away! thats part of the whole experience! you have to have those. they are vital in Pride and Prejudice....althought i would still be in love with the movie even if it didnt have all those wonderful things. i guess that makes me weird huh? heehee!

The pretend doll at the head of her class has a confession to make. My favorite novel isn't Vanity Fair, it's Jane Eyre and it occurs to me that it made for the one English novel movie right up FrankGrimes' alley:

JE42.jpg?t=1208217538

JE41.jpg?t=1208217579

JE43.jpg?t=1208217618

JE44.jpg?t=1208217646

The heroine (not Jane) is one after your own heart:

JE45.jpg?t=1208217680

we have all been trying desperately to get frankiefurter to watch Pride and Prejudice, but he wont listen. he is being OBSTINATE. heehee!

I'm not obstinate. Traditional gentleman are never obstinate. You and the snippy blonde are the epitome of obstinance.

no dont take them away! thats part of the whole experience! you have to have those. they are vital in Pride and Prejudice....althought i would still be in love with the movie even if it didnt have all those wonderful things. i guess that makes me weird huh? heehee!

No guessing, you are a certified weirdo, just like your Smithy. Anyone who thinks pomp and priss is wonderful needs to be institutionalized.

The pretend doll at the head of her class has a confession to make. My favorite novel isn't Vanity Fair, it's Jane Eyre and it occurs to me that it made for the one English novel movie right up FrankGrimes' alley:

Can we believe anything you say anymore? Now "Vanity Fair" isn't #2 for you, it's "Jane Eyre"? That means "Gone with the Wind" is #4 or perhaps lower. I'm afraid darling, sweet Scarlett is not going to recover from this one. Rhett already left town, but Scarlett still believed in you for whatever foolish reason. No longer.

Begrudgingly, I must admit that I do like the lines, "she sank her teeth in me like a tigress. She said she'd drain my blood." That's a feeling many men know too well.

Hello there BSGreer!

I'm not trying to get Frankie to watch the movie, just respect and appreciate it, but maybe it's beyond his ability to at least see where it's coming from.Maybe he's secretly jealous of all of those handsome,refined British men making women swoon.

You misunderstood me when I said take away the scenery.etc.I was comparing "Love Story" to Pride" and I was actually referring to "Story's" lack thereof of all the finery that "Pride" has.

I'm not trying to get Frankie to watch the movie,

Thank you! At least you have a heart, unlike BitterscotchGREERDO.

just respect and appreciate it,

I respect and appreciate it enough not to watch it and trash it even more later.

but maybe it's beyond his ability to at least see where it's coming from.

No maybes about it.

Maybe he's secretly jealous of all of those handsome,refined British men making women swoon.

Y'all (is that proper) can have all the prim-and-priss snobs you wish to have.

Begrudgingly, I must admit that I do like the lines, "she sank her teeth in me like a tigress. She said she'd drain my blood." That's a feeling many men know too well.

That IS a good line for a woman-I mean, excepting that she was crazy and everything. Jane Eyre is actually one of my favorite books-surely it's not considered too prissy (not one of my favorite words, and not at all how I see myself)?? Mister Rochester is a good leading man.

Does this mean we can't be friends? Now I'm sad.

Hi, Annie Laurie Starr -- That IS a good line for a woman-I mean, excepting that she was crazy and everything.

Crazy and everything are my kind of dames, especially if they are tigresses. :)

Jane Eyre is actually one of my favorite books-surely it's not considered too prissy (not one of my favorite words, and not at all how I see myself)?? Mister Rochester is a good leading man.

I'm starting to sense some priss with you, Trashy. Mr. Darcy? Really?

Does this mean we can't be friends? Now I'm sad.

You are in good with me because of your appreciation of Touch of Evil and The Night of the Hunter. It's just too bad the other ladies around here couldn't exhibit similar great taste. Instead, I have to put with Vanity Fair, Jane Austen, Gone with the Wind, Greer Garson, Gary Cooper, John Ford, and who knows what else.

Whew!

In regards to Mr. Darcy-I swear it's only shallow and physical!!! :) Mr. Rochester, on the other hand is deliciously, darkly tormented and not at all proper. I like him very much.

Crazy is good, but Bertha Rochester was psycho crazy-she wouldn't waste time with gin, cigarettes and a good double cross, she'd just stab your eyeballs out. That's bad crazy.

april, i love those screencaps are gorgeous! Jane Eyre is definitely in my top 5 favorite books, the movie isnt half bad either. heehee! no i love the movie, but it doesnt live up to the book quite like i wanted it to.nevertheless the acting is superb.

you actually posted one of my favorite lines in that movie, and i never could understand why i loved them so much, "she sank her teeth into me like a tigress.she said she'd drain my blood." i guess it was because of the depth in which it was said by him. it was really dramatic and so heavy that it just hung in the air as it rolled off his lips. wow.

its time for a new list dahlink. i think we should list our favorite books ranking from best to worst.

1. Pride and Prejudice

2. Anne of Green Gables

3. Jane Eyre

4. Little Women

5. Emma

i have many more, and ill probably have to make a second list, im half asleep and my brain has stopped working for the day. heehee!

Bang-Bang, Annie -- In regards to Mr. Darcy-I swear it's only shallow and physical!!!

Are you sure? I think you like more than that. You're hiding from me.

Mr. Rochester, on the other hand is deliciously, darkly tormented and not at all proper. I like him very much.

Now that's more like it.

Crazy is good, but Bertha Rochester was psycho crazy-she wouldn't waste time with gin, cigarettes and a good double cross, she'd just stab your eyeballs out. That's bad crazy.

You have a point there. The word "tigress" is tantalizing to me, though. It stabs my eyeballs.

Hiya, Night Owl -- You're supposed to be in dreamland with your snobby Mr. Darcy. Don't tell me they canceled the ball.

> Are you sure? I think you like more than that. You're hiding from me.

I aspire always to retain some mystery.

>

>

> Crazy is good, but Bertha Rochester was psycho crazy-she wouldn't waste time with gin, cigarettes and a good double cross, she'd just stab your eyeballs out. That's bad crazy.

>

> You have a point there. The word "tigress" is tantalizing to me, though. It stabs my eyeballs.

Actually, I get that completely.

Yay, Cinemabuff! THANK you for sticking up for Pride and Prejudice. I still insist it's not prissy!

OK Frank manly-man Grimes. I was up last night watching the Alex Trebek guest programmer set and wanted to know what you think of Wuthering Heights? Noir Heathcliff, the black souled, tormented stable boy is too "prissy" for you?

OK Frank manly-man Grimes. I was up last night watching the Alex Trebek guest programmer set and wanted to know what you think of Wuthering Heights? Noir Heathcliff, the black souled, tormented stable boy is too "prissy" for you?

Was he wearing doilies and did he go to a ball? Did he kidnap Claudia Cardinale?

Oh Jack, Jack, Jack...finally a man who sees things as they should be.

I'm impressed with the fact that not only do you like "Pride",but you've managed to mention Heathcliff and my other favorite movie,"Wuthering Heights" in the same post.

I adore Olivier and find him to be strangely handsome and adorable in that movie; it makes me want to reach out to him and comfort his poor tortured soul.

Macho-man Frankie can call it anything and everything he wants and it shall remain nonetheless brilliant by my standards.

High five Jack !

P.S. Jack what do you think about what I said about "Love Story?" I'm curious as to your thoughts on that one.