Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ordinary People and Raging Bull Airing Back-to-Back Tonight

There's forever been the discussion of Raging Bull getting snubbed by Ordinary People at the 1980 Oscars. It's great that these films will air tonight on TCM. While I feel Raging Bull should have won Best Picture and Director, I believe Ordinary People is excellent in its own right. The biggest snub may be that Donald Sutherland wasn't even nominated for his memorable performance.

I'll be tuning in tonight!!

I'm glad someone else likes Donald Sutherland's performance in "Ordinary People." At the time, from the way people talked, you would have thought that Mary Tyler Moore was the only person in the movie.

Personally, "Quiz Show" is my favorite movie that Redford directed.

I'm looking forward to taping Ordinary People tonight. I remember my english teacher in 9th grade showed but I really wasn't too aware about movies then. So it will be cool to see it, especially that it beat out Raging Bull.

Don'cha know by now that Hollywood likes to see their actors ACTING??? I thought both Donald & MTM did great jobs in that film. Whatever happened to the rising star that was Timothy Hutton??

On the ENCORE channel they are showing Best Pictures all day:

"Marty" "Heat of the Night" "Annie Hall" "The Sting" "Deer Hunter" "Dances With Wolves" "Rain Man" "Platoon."

I'm in heaven.

"I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that Donald Sutherland has never been nominated for an Academy Award."

Very sad, isn't it? I enjoy him in 1900 and especially in Six Degrees Of Separation. (Actually, I enjoy everything about Six Degrees Of Separation.)

He is very good in Ordinary People but he had the easier role, I think. It is Mary Tyler Moore that got all the good stuff to do in that film. Making the "french toast down the disposal" scene honest had to be no easy feat.

And I am still surprised when Ordinary People closes without a "Hallmark Card" ending.

Kyle In Hollywood

scsu1975...that comment of Ordinary Bull and Raging People almost had me spit the coca cola I was drinking. Hysterical.

I love Sutherland. Look for him to get the Thalberg award someday if he does not win within next ten years.

As for Mary Tyler Moore getting all the attention, I truly believe she was subject of so much hype as everyone at that tim talked about the **** she played compared to the years we watched her throw her hat in Minneapolis as May Richards.

She would have been a lock to win oscar for being put in the right category which she was not. She may have been female lead but was really in terms of time more of a supp actress. No way could her screen time compare to Spacek in Coal Miner's Daughter.

It's worth mentioning that Ordinary People was responsible for an almost endlless playing of the Pachebal Canon in D on classical music stations at the time. The rather nice little piece played ad nauseum becomes very annoying in a very short time. As I recall its playtime was finally surrendered to an even more annoying piece a year later - Vivaldi's Four Seasons - which was in turn aried virtually nonstop when the movie of the same name was released.

--

Terry Wallace

I also liked Sutherland in MASH and Don't Look Now. There was also a film I saw a few years ago called Eye of the Needle. It was a really good thriller, and I'd like to check it out again.

Sutherland's role isn't as juicy, if you will, as Moore's. However, it's difficult not to get choked up during his final scene with Timothy Hutton. He, who seemed to always be in control, finally lets out some emotions in the latter half of the film. Another unforgettable scene is Sutherland finally letting Moore know how he feels about her and the relationship. Powerful stuff.

It's a personal favorite. Scorcese's work is too negative for my tastes. RAGING BULL is no exception. I like RAIN MAN from that decade. HANNAH AND HER SISTERS. On the lighter side, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. But ORDINARY PEOPLE is no ordinary movie. It compares well to just about anything.

There's a special spark to Sutherland's work in MASH, isn't there? An offbeat, improvisational air that's winning and intriguing. This is the role that impresses me more than any other. Not as deep, maybe. But he brings it to life beautifully. I'm a fan of Alan Alda's Hawkeye. But "The Donald's" is a different approach.

Raging Bull has got to be the most overrated movie ever. It was not "powerful". It was not "brutal". It was not "epic". It was boring and pretentious.

The protagonist of this film, Jake LaMotta, is a pathetic, paranoid psychopath who suspects that his wife, Vicki, brother, Joey, and everybody else is conspiring against him. Eventually, he ruins his life, going from middleweight champion of the world to a two-bit night club stand-up act. And that's the end. Wow, this is such a "powerful" movie.

I cannot believe that this movie is considered to be one of the greatest films of all time. It was incredibly tedious, boring, and relentless.

And what's with the boxing scenes? Spit and blood are flying all over the place in slow motion and nothing looks the least bit real. Speaking of real, LaMotta supposedly marries Vicki when she's fifteen. Moriarty didn't look fifteen to me, unless it was dog years.

When the film ended, I was deeply disappointed. The film was unbelievably bad.

Different Strokes......

"Raging Bull" is as much an artistic triumph as a it is "Drama". It doesn't move like a typical film.

"Ordinary People" packs an emotional wallop on the subject's of family, secrets, and loss. It is a powerful drama. It would have been worthy of Eugene O'Neill on early 20th stage.

That would be a compliment.

The two films are "apples and oranges".

Interestingly enough, my personal favorite of the Scorcese/DeNiro/NY gang is "Taxi Driver".

A little more "little", but a little rougher, too.

That scene in Ordinary People where the family is together for Christmas and there's lots of picture taking, that scene where it's heartbreakingly obvious that Beth doesn't want to be in a pic with her son, that scene, that look on Conrad's face - oh my that scene gets to me.