Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HELP--movie title

dmc4651

I just caught the tail end of a musical short about the Satan and Hades... it appeared to have been made in the early 30's. It aired on TCM right before The Wind on Sunday 12/28. Does anyone know the name of it? It isn't listed on the TCM schedule.

I was only able to catch the last few minutes of this film. It's the ones like this one that sure make me wish that we could get some kind of "warning" when they are going to be on so that we can be ready and get them taped! I still think that TCM would do very well to devote an entire day (or more) to the best one-reelers, this film included. ML

I absolutely agree. I saw this one years ago but I can't remember where. Perhaps it was at a pre-Code musical retrospective at the Film Forum in NYC.

ANYHOOOOO, Eddie Buzzell's "The Devil's Cabaret" was originally part of a legendary, disastrous, abandoned MGM musical revue from 1930 called The March of Time. It was never released in its original form and many of the skits were later culled in a 1933 flick called Broadway to Hollywood. This particular skit, shot in two-strip Technicolor, was released to theaters as a one-reel in 1930 to offset some of the financial loss of the original film. For more on this film and a few choice remarks on the skit, check out Richard Barrios' excellent book A Song in the Dark: The Birth of the Musical Film.