Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is Netflix Any Good?

I was turned on to Netflix in early 2005 by my now deceased little sister. During the tenor of her illness, she took to Netflix and tried to get me to. Unfortunately it was only after she passed that I found the pleasure and joy that Netflix brings. I have found old movies from my childhood, movies I have only heard of through reviews or television previews, found films that I didn't know existed that I love and especially been turned on to foreign films like never before and YES, even with the subtitles. NOW, this is what makes Netflix the best to me. Based upon my likes and reviews of previously viewed movies, suggestions are made to me and thus, I read the synopsis of the movies and determine if I am interested. In 95 percent of the cases, I have not been disappointed. Also, once you open a particular suggestion, you can take off on a tangent on movies suggested based upon each movie you access in your search. I have turned up some gems like this that I never knew existed and I consider myself fairly well cinematically rounded.

Wow, I'm almost sorry I read your post Gregory, because now I have a dangerous temptation to check out Classicflix in addition to already getting two-at-a-time from Netflix!!! Ooooh, this is baaaaad...

:D

I hope you do choose to check them out. Although I laid out both the pros and cons, I definitely like Classiflix and what's more, I really like the _idea_ of classicflix. They are a service that is geared specifically to us (TCM and old-movie lovers) as their target audience and for that I want to support them and see them thrive. And then perhaps as they grow some of the kinks that I mention will get worked out and they'll be a really top notch competitor.

Oh, and another thing - Classiflix is GREAT when it comes to notifying customers about upcoming DVD releases for classic films. They'll even send out emails with the cover art once it's available. That's another thing I really love about them. And, although I'm not entirely certain, I think those email updates are something you can sign up for even if you're not a paying member, since they sell as well as rent DVDs.

Message was edited by: Gregory1965

"I hope you do choose to check them out."

I agree as a backup it might make sense.

Netflix now has on its main screen new classical movie releases.

Classiflix seems to be only better if you are looking for a little known kind of film.

I went there hoping to find The Hanging Tree, Lonely are The Brave, Abandon Ship and The Warlord.

Neither are there...

Imho, big mistake to drop Neflix and go exclusively with Classiflix.

But, each to his own...

*I went there hoping to find The Hanging Tree, Lonely are The Brave, Abandon Ship and The Warlord.*

But Netflix doesn't have these movies either. As far as I can tell, they're not even comercially available on DVD, so how is it Classicflix's fault that you can't find them there if they don't exist?

"so how is it Classicflix's fault that you can't find them there if they don't exist? "

It's not their fault at all...

I was hoping to find them on Classicflix and already knew they were not available on Netflix and many other sites I have checked out.

I was hoping for the best.

For me, Classicflix does not add much more in selections to be worth it as the primary source of classic movies.

I'll stick with Netflix.

But, each to his own...

Message was edited by: JakeHolman

Movieman I am thinking of going back to 2 at a time for that very reason, I am starting to have troubles watching this many movies. Ive gotten busier and now watching movies has begun to feel like a chore

I also think they purposely act like they dont receive your DVD as a plan to get you to upgrade, and if you dont upgrade, they punish you by not receiving the DVD you sent the day before..thats my gut feeling.

I like Netflix's selection, but its impossible to get some new movie to rent within a months time....I still wind up buying a new movie on sale instead of going to stores to rent since they carry one or 2 copies and theyre gone fast

Netlfix had Boomerang, but its been lost. I was hoping that they would have Rebecca, but they dont, but there's a store that carries it, so this weekend Im going to rent it..

I haven't had a bit of trouble with getting my movies in the mail. I happen to live less than an hour from my primary distribution center but I've never had a delay of more than a day. I've never felt punished or pushed to alter my membership. I do get an email if they have to send the movie from some out of state center so I know it may take another day. However, that has happened maybe three or four times in two years.

I have a pretty quick turnaround but I've not felt that I have had a problem. I hope it gets to a normal situation or you.

>Im at the 3 at a time plan, they tried to get me to 4 which i passed on,

Just curious, how did they try to get you to upgrade? It surprises me because NetF has never been pushy like that with me.

Also, just two cents worth If I may, I doubt seriously that NetF would hold up production in an attempt to get someone to upgrade. It seems just the opposite to me. They sell the idea that turnover is fast etc., and I think adhering to that idea is what they would do to induce someone to upgrade.

I understand, totally, the idea of feeling the crunch with a bigger plan than I need. I'm not one to let the red envelopes lie around with unwatched movies in them when I'm being charged for them. If you decide to downgrade though, do it just _prior_ to the date your card gets charged, otherwise it won't take effect until the next month. Say you get charged on the 5th and you decide to downgrade on the 6th. They will not credit your account, IOW, you're stucks with your current plan until the 5th of the next month. (Upgrades take effect immediately though).

I've been a member of Netflix for almost six months now and love it. I've never had a problem, even when the mail service in our neighborhood was screwed up and I missed two flicks. I reported them lost, got replacements, and when they did show up (weeks later) I just returned them.

I started out using the three disc program, but when I started to rent television series I went up to four discs. Usually I try to watch something the same day or next. Been plowing thru the House of Eliott series, and I'll be into The Six Wives of Henry VIII next.