Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

tcm has a segment in wich an actor or actress narorates a mini biography on famous movie star of the past..example Meryl Streep on Bette Davis, Michael Douglas on Kirk Douglas,etc,,and I think its an awsome segment, but why ( and I ask this to tcm programer) is there nothing like that on Doris Day????

I agree with you..What I dont understand is that on a few occassions Mr.Osbornse has even stated that Miss Day is definitly one of his favorites..Well at least she's getting a birthday tribute next month.

Message was edited by: sudable44

James Garner might be a likely candidate to narrate a little segment on Doris. But he wouldn't do it without her permission. Nor would TCM. She's kind of reclusive and this is probably why we never see anything on her. She may not want it. Anyone else think that's possible?

I remember clearly that she was Star of Month in April 1994, TCM's first year (she may have had the honor again since, I don't know). Her birthday is April 3, 1924. I went through a Doris phase and I don't think I ever got over it. There is a long DD thread somewhere that I ran across a short time ago while excavating the old threads. I'm going over there to post sometime soon I hope, so I'll say no more for the moment ... but I have a few things more to say about that lady.

When Rock died Doris came out publicly and said a few words. Here's a bit of trivia. Rock Hudson had a pet name for Doris. Can anyone name it? I know the answer because it came right from the source, Miss Doris Day herself.

>Perhaps Doris Day is a modern-day Garbo.

Perhaps so. But when she came out and spoke about Rock's death, I remember her words, "He always called me Eunice. I don't know why he called me that, he just did." Too bad we can't ask the Rock. I wonder where he got it.

Believe it or not, Doris does audio commentary on two shows on the 5th season of the Doris Day show! Haven't gotten it(Or any of the others) yet, but from the 2 reviews of the set I read online, she doesn't really offer any insightful comments, and sticks mainly to talking about the clothes she wore, and her animals. I read the the highlight for her was seeing two of her beloved dogs in one episode....

My Now Playing cover is in front of me, and Doris was star of the month in January 2003. TCM only played twelve of Doris`s movies. Molly Haskell the film critic and former cohost of The Essentials is a huge Doris fan. I think that Doris would be flattered if a star did a voiceover on her career. Renee Zellweger comes to my mind. In August 2007 I began the Let`s Discuss Doris Day post on My Favorites. Doris was the featured star of the day for the Summer Under The Stars. Today I posted a new item. Doris has many fans.

Hi Cashette

I just checked out your thread over there and that's the same one I referred to last night on this thread right here. I just downloaded a couple of new pictures that *Forevergarland* posted over there (no coincidence, both Judy and Doris had a big thing in common. They were both naturals. Nobody had to teach them to sing and act, they just knew. Doris wanted to be a dancer but she had an injury early on as I'm sure you know). I love that picture she signed for Jonathan (O lucky Jonathan!) where she is holding the dog and where she appears to be little older than most pictures of her are. She is so pretty there and looking at her almost bring tears to my eyes. That's a great thread you started in Favorites and I don't think I've read the whole thing so I may go back to the beginning. I'm going to add a few remarks soon about particulars regarding my own personal fandom of Miss Doris. Thanks, Cashette.

Hi Laffite, Thank you for your kind words. I own a dozen of Doris cd`s including the soundtrack to "Love Me or Leave Me". Doris brought all her talents to the role of Ruth Etting singing, dancing, and the gamut of dramatic emotions. If Doris could have won an Academy Award, I wish it would have been for this performance. The sad fact is she wasn`t nominated. Robert Osbourne has said that this is Doris`s best performance.Do you agree?

Cashette, I haven't seen that movie in a long time. Unfortunately, I don't remember having an especially favorable impression of it, though nothing touching the performance of Doris. It doesn't matter that Doris' style of singing is quite different than Etting's. I'm glad Doris did not try to mimic. Cagney's performance seemed labored and he came across as if over the hill a little to me. I would have to see it again. I have it in my VHS collection and may just do that. I like the romantic comedies more than the dramatic roles. Bad answer, but the best I can do at the moment.

I fear Doris & Rock get short shrift when talking of Hollywood history. In my very humblest of opinions I believe Doris Day & Rock Hudson were one of the great all time teams in motion picture history.

Fred & Ginger....Ladd & Lake....Tracy & Hepburn are the upper echelon of screen teams.

For me I have to tie that performance with her performance in The Man Who Knew Too Much. My favorite scene not only when she learns of her sons kidnapping but the stare down she has with brenda debanzi in the chappel..And if someday they ever do a segment on doris that is one scene to mention

Oh god please not Renee Zelwiener..I personally think a great choice would be Barbara Hershey even though she has been in any movies lately ( not that I know of) but think of it Doris' last film was her first film...

she is not a recluse...in fact she even sued the Globe for making that comment..and she has also joked that fact being she is the leading female box office star of all time but yet the most underrated. I am sure she would be pleased and I doubt very much if TCM would have trouble from her if the segement aired...