Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Psst! I got the May 2008 listings right here.

Don't know if I have ever had the honor of being the first to post this announcement.

The May 2008 Listings Are Up.

Eastern Daylight Time -

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&timezone=EST&oid=5/1/2008

Central Daylight Time -

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&timezone=CST&oid=5/1/2008

Mountain Daylight Time -

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&timezone=MST&oid=5/1/2008

Pacific Daylight Time -

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&timezone=PST&oid=5/1/2008

Now I am going to read them! (I was gonna watch a Buster Keaton but not now.)

Kyle In Hollywood

Couldn't they have delayed the Frank Sinatra tribute until June and made James Stewart SOTM for his 100th birthday?

I see Girls in Chains, Blackmail, and Our Daily Bread are all airing the same morning; Edgar Ulmer's Jive Junction also gets another airing in May.

A whole bunch of Robert Montgomery movies I haven't even heard of (well, up until Hide-Out) on the 21st.

A lot of repeats that we've already seen several times this year. If I hear "Calling Barranca, Calling Barranca" one more time, I'm going to scream.

And do we really need to see "Born Yesterday" again? It has been on about half a dozen times or more during the past year. What happen to the Old TCM system system of showing a common movie only once a year and bring out some of the rare films from the '30s and '40s? This New TCM system has too many repeats.

Obviously TCM is getting some discount rates on the multiple showing the same film several times a year. Steele Magnolias again. Raintree County again. Little Big Man again. Three Days of the Condor again. Network again. The Odd Couple again. This is exactly what AMC did when they started showing the same films over and over again several times a year. Networks can get discount rates when they rent the same film several times a year, and it?s obvious now that TCM is working package deals with TNT and TBS because many of the same films are turning up on TCM that also turn up on TNT and TBS. The network continues to gradually become more and more degraded and less and less "classic" as time goes by.

Because there is no info included with the listing - and because some folks may be unfamiliar with the film - here's the lowdown on my "Oh my Gawd!" listing for May.

Monday May 19th

Hobson's Choice (1954)

Henry Hobson runs a successful bootmaker's shop in nineteenth-century Salford. A widower with a weakness for the pub opposite, he tries forcefully to rule the lives of his three unruly daughters. When he decrees 'no marriages' to avoid the expensive matter of settlements, eldest daughter Maggie rebels and sets her sights on Will Mossop, Hobson's star bootmaker. Maggie and Will leave to start up in competition, and she then turns her mind to helping her sisters marry their chosen partners.

Cast: Charles Laughton, John Mills, Brenda De Banzie

Director: David Lean

Kyle In Hollywood

"Silent Sunday's seems to be gone along with TCM Import - I hope this isn't permanent." - Terry_W.

I hope so too. I am hoping it is only to incorporate the unique Frank Sinatra specials into the schedule with an interesting timeslot. (The Frank Sinatra Event corresponds to the realease of what must be a Frank Sinatra "mega-boxset" that month.)

Kyle In Hollywood

I haven't seen the Graf Spee film (a.k.a. The Battle of the River Plate) since Encore Action ran it several years ago. I see at least two Columbia rarities, Screaming Mimi and Arch Oboler's Five, on the schedule. Sergeants 3, part of the slew of Sinatra movies coming to DVD in May, will be making its first appearance on national TV in ages.

Roy Ward Baker's evening on the 29th includes the often-seen A Night to Remember, followed by four rarely telecast (at least in the USA) films, including another May release on DVD in The One That Got Away.

Sssshhhh! How'd you score that?

Yep, there are many repeats (who cares?) but there are many movies I look forward to seeing like "Experiment in Terror" "Blacula" "Scream Blacula Scream" "Strangers When We Meet" (aaaah Kim!) Helen Mirren 40 years ago in "Age of Consent" Coop's Girl should be delirious at the May 7th-Gary Cooper Birthday line up, "On The Beach" for those who missed Fred C. Dobbs' suggestion the other nite, "The Great Lie" (and another good performance by Mary Astor, imho) Lana's bio, "The Hunger" (if Catherine Deneuve could bite you on the neck, wouldn't you just love it?), some early Robert Montgomery fare (never a big fan, but there might be a leading lady or two I'd love to see perform) and on May 31st: "SCREAMING MIMI". Why does THAT rate big fan fare? Well...it's no "La Dolce Vita" but it's got the larger than life: ANITA EKBERG. I think that says it all.

Well...see ya in May.

A few highlights for me (most of them would be possible first-time viewings):

Quo Vadis

Blacula

Scream Blacula Scream (whohoo!!)

Michael Powell Night

The Purple Plain

The World, the Flesh, and the Devil

Reefer Madness

Capricorn One

Hobson's Choice

1941 (I wonder if it's as bad as everyone says)

The Eagle Has Landed

I was hoping for more paramount and columbia classics as well. The cut-off year should be 1983. The films should have to be at least 25 years old to be shown here.If they want to show recent films why not show ones that never got released on dvd or get not cable showings elsewhere. When TCM came out in 1994 my cable company didn't pick it up until 2004. I used to see such classics being on there and had frineds with satelite dished record them for men. The same goes for TV Land when they debuted the channel I didn't get it for years either and they played such classic old shows. That channel has gotten out of hand and now they show movies with commerical interuption. These 2 channels need to start a secondary channel to bring back the classic tv shows and movies we long for. Cable tv should be a buy any channel not just a package. Make your own package. Who cares about some of the stupid channels they offer us. I miss when PBS channels here in NY 13 and 21 use to show classic films. They quality if the prints weren't that good but they were great to see. Come on TCM wake up with the oldies. Don't get me wrong you are still a great channel but we want our CLASSICS.

Message was edited by: Dominick

May 2008 - The Good -

The Matchmaker returns on May 4th (I missed it last month)

Hobson's Choice on May 19th

"Rudolph Valentino Morning" on May 6th

Reefer Madness, Marihuana and Cocaine Fiends on May 9th

The Merry Widow (Ernst Lubitsch) on May 12th

The Toy Wife (Louise Rainer) on May 13th

"John Payne" Morning on May 21st (Garden Of The Moon!)

My Sister Eileen (Betty Garrett version) on May 21st

A full Memorial Day Weekend of military films (ignore the Sinatra break on Sunday)

(and The Progamming Challenger in me loves the "Here and There" line-up on the 19th.)

May 2008 - The Bad -

Wings returns on May 26th in the middle of the night.

A Hole In The Head is shown in the middle of the night

May 2008 -The Ugly -

"Silent Sunday Nights" and "TCM Imports" on hiatus

and

FrankGrimes and The CooperGals inevitably "dooking it out" over Cooper day and the obscure Hitchcock films.

Kyle (girding my loins over "TV Shows" on TCM yet again) In Hollywood

I know it's still very early, but there are a couple of possible errors for the run times of a few films. Not as a Stranger is listed as 137 minutes, but is in a 120 minute time slot. I saw that with Reefer Madness as well, listed at 66 minutes but is in a 60 minute time slot. I'm guessing that will be changed?

P.S. The time slots for Marriage on the Rocks and High Society are head scratchers as well.

Message was edited by: sweetsmellofsuccess

TCM always did play some of the same movies over and over in a year - just the way it goes - I remember them playing 'Splendor in the Grass' one year, ad nauseum! Probably 10 times - and believe me, I took notice!

The good news, IMO, is that TCM does play the most incredible movies on TV. So, I take the good with the bad. BUT I sure will agree with you that the May schedule leaves much to be desired - there is very little new under the sun!

Scarlett,

I remember when it was "Bringin' Up Baby", "Lawrence of Arabia" and "To Kill a Mockingbird". There were a few years there where those movies were in heavy, heavy rotation.

Somewhere back in the Archives are threads dedicated to how many times one year "Baby" was shown.