Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mikegee

the philladelphia story

i have just watched the philly story again. it is one of my favorit movies. now i'm watching a remake of the movie "high society". they made it a musical even with the top names, bing crosby, frank sinatra, grace kelly and satchmo (louis armstrong). in my opinion they ruined the movie for me. it is almost line for line in areas it just doesn't seem like the philly story. i don't mind movie remakes when they are the same, just updated but into a musical i just don't know...

sorry about spelling philly wrong!

Message was edited by: mikegee

In the fifties they turned a lot of dramas into musicals. The problem with HIGH SOCIETY is that everyone in it is too old, with the exception of Grace Kelly Bing Crosby was in good voice, but he was paunchy and decidedly middle aged. It threw the whole tenor of the film off.

I agree with Visual and you Mike. I'm not a fan of Bing's and the whole musical idea

was wrong. I do like Celeste Holm and "Satchmo".

Didn't Katherine Hepburn own the screen rights for this film? If I remember, she played the role of Tracy Lord on broadway and in order to ensure her being the star of the original, she bought the rights to it. Now here comes my question...

If she did indeed own the rights, then WHY did she allow it to be remade into a musical?

yes ms hepburn did own the rights to this movie, which she mentions on the dick cavet show. i don't remember anything mentioned on that show about the remake. they should have left well enough alone. but lets remember she had to have made money for them to make a remake of it. so that could be a BIG reason she let them...

The fact that she owned the rights, she requested Clark Gable for Dexter and Spencer

Tracy for Mike. Interesting?! I think both of these fellows were busy elsewhere.

<>

Maybe Miss Hepburn went by the old adage that if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all.

If she did indeed own the rights, then WHY did she allow it to be remade into a musical?>>

She did own the rights and used that as leverage to star in the picture as well. But she may have ultimately sold the rights to MGM once she had the contract she was bargaining for.

She had borrowed the money (I think from Howard Hughes) to buy the film rights from the play's author, Phillip Barry.

Which would be another reason to sell the rights to pay back the money she had borrowed.

Izcutter, what you say makes perfect sense. I remember hearing, on what used to be The Biography Channel, that Hepburn did indeed borrow the money from Howard Hughes in order to purchase the rights.

At least we have the original film to fall back on. It's a good thing. 8^D