Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Carmen Miranda Collection Release Date: June 17th, 2008

CelluloidKid

Thanks to Classicflix.com

20th Century Fox** has announced a June 17th release date for The Carmen Miranda Collection.

The 5 disc DVD set will include:

Greenwich Village (1944) - NEW TO DVD

If I'm Lucky (1946) - NEW TO DVD

Something For the Boys (1944) - NEW TO DVD

Doll Face (1944) - Former Alpha release

The Gang's All Here (1943) - Released last year and remastered for this set.

Unlike most of Fox's recent releases, such as: "Mr. Moto" and "Charlie Chan", this set will release all the films as singles. And not at the $19.98 price point you might expect, but for $14.98 each. The set will retail for $49.98, but is available at Classicflix.com for only $37.99 while singles can be had for just $10.99. Just some of the stars include: Carmen Miranda, Vivian Blaine, Dennis O'Keefe, Perry Como, Don Ameche, William Bendix, Harry James, Phil Silvers, Edgar Buchanan, Michael O'Shea, Glenn Langan, Alice Faye, Phil Baker and Benny Goodman.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed. On any other star a bowl of fruit for a head dress would look utterly ridiculous. On the marvelous Miranda it is an iconic "I love you" to the world. One of the cinema's truly great comedic/musical treasures.

With regards to Nancy Goes to Rio - the film is an MGM title being released as part of Warner Brothers: Classic Musicals from The Dream Factory Vol 3 on April 8. Look for another Miranda musical - A Date With Judy - also from WB on April 22.

Boom, chica, boom, chica, chica, boom!

I am glad to see someone else mention Doll Face, my favorite black and white musical,

it tells the story of Gypsy Rose Lee years before the play GYPSY---It stars Vivien Blaine

and Dennis O'Keefe and my favorite Perry Como singing Here Comes Heaven, Again...and

Hubba Hubba Hubba ...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad Carmen Miranda is getting a collection release. She's a wonderful performer and a great 40's icon. TCM occasionally plays *Nancy Goes to Rio* and *A Date with Judy* but that's about it.

It's also very good news that they're remastering *The Gangs All Here* hopefully they will be able to liven up the color on this one. It's a shame that one of her best films still doesn't have a DVD release. I'm talking about *Springtime in the Rockies.* If they ever release a volume 2 of the Betty Grable Collection I guess it will be on that, but it seems they are not in a hurry about it. It needs a DVD release asap!

• 2 weeks later...

MovieFanLaura,

Thanks so much for sharing that information. I really appreciate it. Too bad about *Song of the Islands* and *The Shocking Mrs. Pilgrim* but hopefully *Springtime in the Rockies* will be on there. I've been wondering about Betty Grable vol. 2 for quite some time now.

Thanks again,

Molo

• 2 weeks later...

I e-mailed Drew Casper to see if he could offer any info. on a second Betty Grable set but he replied today, "they haven't asked me yet" to my question "will you be providing any commentaries for a second set?" I wonder if that means there won't be a set or only that the Professor won't be a part of it?

• 9 months later...

Archived