Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
rainingviolets21

TCM 1 or TCM 2 ?

> Wasn't there a double accident involving Duane Allman and Gary Oakley, I remember it vaguely

both on motorcycles

Yes Duane Allman was killed in a motorcycle accident only a few months after the summer release and great initial success of At Fillmore East. While in Macon on October 29, during a band break from touring and recording, Allman was riding toward an oncoming truck that was turning well in front of him but then stopped in mid-intersection. He lost control of his Harley while trying to swing left, possibly striking the back of the truck or its crane ball. He flew from his bike, which landed on and skidded with him, crushing internal organs; he died a few hours later, less than one month shy of his 25th birthday. In a bizarre coincidence, bassist Berry Oakley would die only 13 months later in a similar motorcycle crash with a city bus, just three blocks away from the site of Duane Allman's fatal accident..

I remember well, rainingviolets. We'll keep the hope alive. 8^D

BTW, does anyone on the board have TCM On Demand. I know it is available in some areas and unfortunately mine isn't one of them.

I remember when I got TCM free with my basic cable, then my cable company, Starlight, went

out of business, now it's a pay channel....It's the only channell I don't mind paying

"BTW, does anyone on the board have TCM On Demand." - MovieGal53

I am one of the lucky ones and there are a good number of members here that also have the TCM On Demnd service.

Right now, there are about 18 offerings "On Demand" through my cable operator (Time Warner Cable) - all but one a feature film. (There is one film short available.) Most of the current titles are Oscar winners offered to complement the recently completed "31 Days Of Oscar" event. It has been handy to have some of these films available "On Demand" so I could forgo recording them during their presentation on TCM itself. I will probably be watching The Long Voyage Home from the "On Demand" menu later tonight.

Two or three new titles are added each week and are available for four (or maybe five) weeks before being rotated out for a new set of titles. Often TCM's Original Documentaries are also made available through the On Demand service.

I hope your cable system gets with the program and makes TCM "On Demand" part of your cable package. (You'll likely have to subscribe to a digital package to have access the service.) It obviously won't replace TCM's 300+ offerings every month but it great to have these choices available,just the same.

Kyle In Hollywood

To rainingviolets21 -

TCM is a pay channel on my cable system as well. In fact it is the ONLY channel I don't mind paying for. 8^D

To Kyle -

Oh, how I envey you! lol It took our cable company, Cablevision, eight years just to add TCM. It would be icing on the cake if they were to add TCM On Demand. CV went digital in 2004 so my household is ready. In the last couple of weeks they have been adding new On Demand services such as The Food Network, Discovery Channel, TLC, HGTV, along with the usual premium channel On Demand subscriptions that already existed. I started requesting TCM On Demand so we will see...

Thanks for your response!

TCM is part of my expanded digital basic plan. It's not a pay-for channel like HBO. I have TCM On Demand as well. I don't have newar as many films as Kyle but I'll get 6 - 10 movies and a few shorts. They do show trailers of what is coming in the next week or so.

BTW, does anyone on the board have TCM On Demand. I know it is available in some areas and unfortunately mine isn't one of them.

I have on TimeWarner Cable, Los Angeles. It's nothing special, only about 20-25 titles at at time, changed too infrequently, and films that're typically shown by TCM on a pretty regular basis. Still, it's nice to be able to dial up a movie I like, when I like.