and last but not least #5 is

Jean Harlow

sorry to bore you but put them together and you get!:

Spencer Tracy

Bette Davis

Katharine Hepburn

James Cagney

Cary Grant

I think it's time for a revisit! My top five, favorite actresses are...

Ingrid Bergman

Barbara Stanwyck

Kate Winslet

Grace Kelly

Greta Garbo

Can I do five more? No, I think this time, I'll save everyone the boredom!

I commend you on your list Vertigo22, with the exception of Kate Winslet, who for my taste is WAY too new for a Turner Classic Movie list.

But, you have Garbo and Bergman! Garbo was voted #1 greatest silent movie actress, and Berman #1 greatest sound actress by Time magazine. They are also in the top FIVE of the American Film Institute coming in #4, Bergman, and #5, Garbo, as the greatest actresses of all time. The Swedes have it!

My top five:

Greta Garbo

Jean Harlow

Marlene Dietrich

Hedy Lamarr

Norma Shearer

Yeah, I was kind of iffy about including Kate Winslet on my list. She is a contemporary player in this game, and she does seem a bit out of place. But truthfully, I like to watch all kinds of movies, classic and current, and to my taste there is no other actress working today that is even in the same league as "The Great Kate" as I've taken to calling her. I just felt like showing some love.

One thing I've noticed from frequenting this message board is that there seems to be some sort of "Garbo cult".....can I join? Seriously, I don't know what it is about her, but she just does it for me. She's vulnerable and erotic in equal measure, and rarely do those two things come together so well in a person.

Well, I REALLY like Kate, too. I recently saw a movie of hers with Cameron Diaz about changing houses from L.A. to England. She was really good.

Now, as for Garbo, you may most certainly join the Cult but beware; there are more ney sayers on her than yea sayers! Ha! So many people think she is over-rated, as if that is possible! Maybe by today's standards, but as one fellow poster said to me, you have to put yourself back in her heyday. There was no one who even came close to the frenzy she created.

And, I find it ironic that Bergman, another Swede, was held in such high regard that she is lauded right along side Garbo as "one of the greatest of all time!" And, they are both in the top five of the film institute's list. All of those people, figuring out who was who in the firmament of Hollywood's history, and they put both of them in the top five. Hmmm, makes you think they really are the tops!

Well, I certainly do not mean to stir up a ruckus, regarding Garbo. I only know what I like, and I like what I see in her. However, I really don't understand why there seems to be such a "lover-her-or-loathe-her" mentality. Maybe I'm just a little biased.

Burt Lancaster is sumthin', ain't he? When I first saw him in From Here To Eternity, I thought he was waaaay too stiff and masculine to be taken seriously. But after seeing Birdman of Alcatraz and Run Silent, Run Deep, I saw that there was something very real and professional about his style. On the screen, he exists as the quinessential male that alot of guys wish they were. Kinda like Cary Grant, who in my opinion WAS James Bond before that character even existed. So in effect, 007 isn't really necessary.

I know. I went through the same kind of thing with her. But, like you said, she's got IT. And, now I watch her with the same relish I do Crawford, whom I disliked for YEARS but now find irresistible! Funny, those gals who were box office poison didn't seem to fade with time in the eyes of our modern groupies. Garbo, Dietrich, Hepburn, Crawford, Davis are all Hot Properties today!

I wish I could recall by name some of the movies I've seen Joan Crawford in, where I thought she was really great. But the only one that sticks for me was her first, The Unknown, with Lon Chaney. He dominated, but she was spectacular in that film.

> {quote:title=zooty10 wrote:}{quote}

> actresses:

>

> Ingrid Bergman

> Bette Davis

> Myrna Loy

> Doris Day

> Greta Garbo

>

> actors:

>

> Cary Grant

> William Powell

> Ronald Colman

> Dana Andrews

> Tyrone Power

I see you listed Greta and Ingrid in your top five! And, you have Cary and Tyrone. Looks like we have similar tastes.

I do like William, Ronald, and Dana a lot. I also love Bette and Ingrid, like Myrna, and Doris is a sweetheart, but not in my top five anything.

1. hedy lamarr

2. linda darnell

3. lana turner

4. susan hayward

5. bette davis

These male actors are the coolest, in my opinion, so they would be my top faves:

1. john gavin

2. guy madison

3. farley granger

4. sal mineo

5. george sanders

Actors:

1. Gene Kelly

2. Humphrey Bogart

3. Cary Grant

4. Montgomery Clift

5. James Dean

Actresses:

1. Audrey Hepburn

2. Marilyn Monroe

3. Judy Garland

4. Ingrid Bergman

5. Natalie Wood

• 1 month later...

Sorry. I had to do it this way because there's no way for me to fit it in five. No particular order.

Actors:

-Lionel Barrymore

-Kevin Klein

-Robin Williams

-Paul Newman

-Spencer Tracy

Actresses:

-Betty Davis

-Ethel Barrymore

-Shirley MacLaine

-Meryl Streep

-Shelley Winters