Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ever seen a superstar?

When "Walk the Line" was being made, my dad, me and my brother (and my dog) all walked down to where they were shooting to watch. We saw Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, all them. And when the director said, "action" my dog yapped his head off. And yes, Joaquin Phoenix and the director looked over at us. And yes, it was the most embarrasing thing that ever happened. And to make it worse, I fell.

Have you ever seen a superstar?

I guess it depends upon what context you mean by "seen a superstar." I never got up close to one, but I did see Al Pacino in a two-man play in New Haven, CT. Does that count? I also went to a concert by Patti LuPone, and sitting a few rows behind me was David Cassidy, although I'm not sure I'm call him a superstar. My date kept saying all night that she was spotting famous people in the audience, and every time I looked, she was wrong. Then she started with David Cassidy ... so I managed to sneak a peek and darned if she wasn't right this time.

I saw Dan Lauria (more known to TV viewers) giving a talk in memory of our university's president (Lauria was a graduate of the university and had been a close friend of the president).

Are politicians superstars? I saw John Dean give a talk, and ironically, he could not get his microphone to work. I walked right past Al Sharpton on our campus one day. Also saw Jesse Jackson giving a speech outdoors on my campus.

well to me these people are not super stars but i did meet jerry lewis and larry holmes on 2 different times. i worked for a custom car place and delivered a car to each . lewis was really rude and holmes just the oppisite he gave me $100 tip. my ex-mother in law also met lewis, he stoped by where she worked to pick up a check for the MD telethon. she said he wouldn't even take a minute to say hello to the people that donated thier money. she also said he was rude. to me they are just the same as you or me. except the rude part

"We saw Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, all them." - virginia1995

That's so funny as just last year Reese Witherspoon and Peter Skarsgaard were in the restaurant where I work to shoot a scene for Rendition. I was there - and was paid - to troubleshoot any problems/questions about the restaurant and to clean up after they left. Didn't get close to either one of them - not that I really wanted to anyway.

Last week the Coen Brothers sent someone to scout the restaurant for a possible location for a future film. I haven't heard if anythig definite has come of it though.

Kyle In Hollywood

I was walking in downtown Chicago one day around 1992, and for some reason there were a lot of people congregating at one street corner. I was wondering what all the commotion was. A car pulls up across the street, and Mikhail Gorbachev walks out. Everybody started clapping.

When I was working at George Washington University, Tucker Carlson's show was being taped on campus. I passed by him once on the street. He was surprisingly tall.

Not "superstars", per se.

Hlywdkjk: I had a lady friend who worked for the **** and Bull restaurant in the early 80s. Is that restaurant still there, do you know? It was either in Beverly Hills, LA, or Hollywood. She was a looker and almost had a career herself. She used to tell me all the stars she rubbed elbows with. She remembered PeterL during his last days when he would come in and get laced. Did she ever ask him about Marilyn? No way, she says. You didn't do that. The place was frequented by the elite and you didn't pry.

My own little brush with the biggies was on the beach in Del Mar, CA as a child. Someone comes to me and says Lucille Ball is over there taking a sunbath. So I go over there and there she is. There was just the three of us there. She was wearing sun glasses and I was young enough to boldly ask she take her glasses off. She did so. I would have never recognized her. She smiled and was friendly. I asked her, "Where's Ricky?" She laughed and said, "You mean Desi." I said, "Oh yeah ..." It was a brief incident. I don't think I'll write a book about it.

>worked for the **** and Bull restaurant

Hlywdkjk: I see I got censored for using the name of the restaurant. So here's a quiz for you. What's the missing word? You'll have to disguise it. I'm sure that this was a fairly well known restaurant.

Lafitte,

The restaurant that you are referencing was actually on the famed Sunset Strip just west of Doheny. I used to work for an educational filmmaker in the building at Doheny and Sunset and Friday evenings we would hit the restaurant for a drink. Saw Big John Milius in there a couple of times.

In the early 1990s, it was sold, torn down and became a Porsche dealership. I think of the restaurant every time I drive by that block.

Oliver Stone sitting in the seat in front of me at an MSG sporting event (Knicks, maybe?). Best seats I ever had, 3rd row. Passed his refreshments to his party. They actually have waitresses on the "floor seats".

As a young jarhead in Beaufort, SC, a couple of pals and I were in a local craphole trying to "fish the worm" out of a Tequila bottle. In walks Smokin' Joe Frazier who decides to pull in and "wet his whistle". He actually bought us drinks and "told lies" with us for over an hour. So, I actually MET HIM.

Boy George out smoking cigarettes between acts of "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" with Kathleen Turner, early 90's. Not the "dainty looking little thing" you'd expect after "Culture Club".

No make-up, short hair, and a big guy. We weren't sure at first, but my girlfriend spoke to him a little, british accent, and a NY regular at the time.

Pretty sure it was him. We didn't ask, but everyone else thought so as well.

I got stood up on a date by an aspiring actress once. Turned out she was up in Nantucket at a party attended by Robert DeNiro. Every now and then when I tell that story over cocktails, I make it sound like he "stole my date". Usually good for a few laughs!

Mother, Auntie, and I were at Hollywood Park race track when Auntie whispers to us, "now girls don't turn around, but Freddie Astaire is sitting in back of us." Of course our necks whipped around and there he was. I had occasion to be walking in back of him and even tho he was up in years he had that famous springy walk. John Beradino (sp?) was there too.

They all loved the horses - When I was very small and Nana used to take me to the track (she had a bookie to boot) where we saw Betty Grable and Judy Garland.

Don't know if these count, but on Broadway I've seen:

Melanie Griffith, John Ritter, Henry Winkler, Anthony Quinn, Carol Channing, Raul Julia, & Sarah Jessica Parker. (all I can think of for now)

I also saw Kevin Bacon while walking on the street in NY and we sort of exchanged nods.

In July 1969, not long before my 14th birthday, my family met Jack Benny, who was doing a show in the Niagara Falls, N.Y., area and was staying at our hotel. He seemed like a very nice man (my younger brother got his autograph), no surprise to me since I knew his "persona" was part of his act -- although I sense my parents, who had listened to his radio show for years, probably appreciated meeting him more than my brother and I did. (And based upon what I've learned about him in ensuing years, I understand why.)

Hlywdkjk: I had a lady friend who worked for the **** and Bull restaurant in the early 80s. Is that restaurant still there, do you know?

There's an English pub called C-o-c-k & Bull in Santa Monica by that name, if you're in the neightborhood and hungry (or thirsty).

As for "superstars' (I hate that superficial word), I've run into, and/or met at one time or other:

Burt Lancaster

Kirk Douglas

Charlton Heston

Sidney Poitier

Tom Hanks

Do you remember the old C&B on Sunset?

We used to go there all the time for prime rib and Yorkshire pudding, yum! One night sitting in a quiet corner was John Carradine.

I ran into Jimmy Stewart in a hypnotist's office in Beverly HIlls. Quite a thrill.

Yes, Carradine was in a ton of movies. I expect we'll see a complete list of his films any minute now.

I saw the English actor Clive Revill. I was having a soda in a restaurant near the Schubert Theater in New Haven, and he walked in to order something ... I had seen him in "My Fair Lady" earlier that night at the theater.

Lzcutter wrote:

>The restaurant that you are referencing was actually on the famed Sunset Strip just west of Doheny ?

CineSagejr wrote:

>There's an English pub called C-o-c-k & Bull in Santa Monica by that name, if you're in the neightborhood and hungry (or thirsty).

Probably the one on Sunset Strip FWIW ... thanks for your replies.

Though, like CSJ, I hate the term 'superstar', I have been honored to see the following:

Richard Widmark dining at El Coyote here in Los Angeles a few years ago.

When I was in film school I had the honor of meeting:

Clint Eastwood, Don Siegel, Sam Peckinpah, Jason Robards, LQ Jones, Orson Welles and Marty Scorsese, Budd Boetitcher and a few others.

"I ran into Jimmy Stewart in a hypnotist's office in Beverly HIlls. Quite a thrill." ~Poinciana

I have to ask, Poinciana: What do you suppose he was doing in a hypnotist's office?

I seem to have only met politicians, some in public, some in private: Bill Clinton (very tall), Teddy Kennedy (much taller than expected, and please, Mr. Senator, use sunblock), Robert F. Kennedy, (a month before he died, sadly, he seemed small and shy to me as a kid), Tip O'Neill, (very large, very gruff, very Irish), Michael Dukakis (surprisingly small, but very soft-spoken and pleasant), and once stood on a corner waiting for a light to change next to the recently deceased William F. Buckley.

Oh, yeah, there was the time when as a child I met Pat O'Brien, who was delightful, though I'd no idea who he was at the time. Christopher Plummer once made eye contact with me on Newbury St. in Boston. Boy, did that shake me up.

I've met

Richard Boone (TALL!)

Tony Curtis

Martha Hyer

Charles Bickford

Henry Daniele

Fred MacMurray (really, REALLY Tall)

Jamie Farr

John Schneider

and spotted

Ingrid Bergman walking down the street in NYC.

not too bad for a kansas hayseed....