Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
virginia1995

Ever seen a superstar?

Speaking of tall, I saw Vincent Price in a one-man play doing Oscar Wilde .. I was two rows from the stage ... man, was HE tall ... and a great performer.

In 1964, at the age of 11 years old, I had the honor of meeting Bette Davis and Oliva de Havilland

when HUSH, HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE premiered at my local movie theater.

Since no one under the age of 16 was allowed in unless accompanied by an adult, my best friend and I snuck in and found two seats in the front row! After the film, Miss Davis and Miss de Havilland came on stage and answered questions from the audience. When exiting the stage Miss Davis handed my friend and I a rose from her bouquet.

That was the first and ONLY time I ever did anything like that and, eventhough my mother had a fit when I got home, I don't regret it.

Greatest thrill of all was meeting Judy Garland in June, 1967 at Bay Back Rail Station in Boston when she arrived to perform a free concert on the Boston Common. My aunt somehow knew when her train was arriving. It was just us and a small group of the press waiting for her. She was with her son Joey and stopped to talk with us. Joey kind of kept straying away here and there and she looked around occasionally saying, "where's my boy"?

What impressed me the most was her sense of humor. I was astounded by that--had never read previously how witty she was. Reporters and, occasionally my aunt chimed in, kept asking her questions for about 15 minutes and most all her comments were hilarious. She was cold sober, looked fabulous, and seemed just like any mother vacationing with her son.

I attended her free concert with thousands of others the next night. She was in top form and sang nearly nonstop for hours. Just absolutely amazing.

October 31 1992 in San Carlos CA at The Circle Star Theater

I went with my girlfriend to see Richard Pryor.

He was funny, funny, funny, but when was he ever not.

After the show we were leaving and i noticed a Huge Limo parked next to a door in the back of the building and a small crowd gathering. So we walked over to the Limo and waited and waited and waited and the door opens and Arsenio Hall walks out and says the Mr. Pryor had already left in the first Limo. Liar Liar. Some of the people then just walked away. But not me, I waited for awhile longer and it Payed Off. I actually was sitting on the trunk of Mr. Pryors Limo when the door opened once again. And 4 people walked out first and then 2 more people with their arms around Mr. Pryor holding him up, He had MS really bad remember, they walked up to the Limo and i was within 10 inches of Mr. Pryor. They opened the Limo door and he got into the back seat. I (for reasons unknown to me) yelled "Hey Richard". He looked back through the window and threw his feet out of the Limo and onto the ground and those 2 guys who were holding him coming out the back stage door lifted him up and he turned to me and said, "Thanks for coming to see me tonight" and then he shook my hand. Those 2 guys put him back into the Limo and they drove away into the night.

Arsenio hall came up to me and gave me 2 Tour Shirts that had Mr. Pryors photo on the front of them and the saying, Never Say Die Tour 1992 on the back, he then told me to feel Privileged because (Richard) Never does that.

It was a night i will never forget

Oh yeah, one more thing

I shook the hand that shook the hand of The Great One, Jackie Gleason

So for me, i got a 3fer that night. Richard Pryor, Arsenio Hall and Jackie Gleason

Thanks Mr. Pryor and may you R.I.P.

Did you correct their spelling?

Hard to do with the spoken word, but it would've been my great privilege to do so had the opportunity arisen.

To my list I also append the names

Jack Lemmon

Jack Palance

Tony Curtis

Janet Leigh

Jamie Lee Curtis

Ryan O'Neal

Bob Newhart

Gene Barry

Lorne Greene

Eric Braeden

even though it'd be hard to call any of them "superstars, except for the first couple.

sometime in the early seventies my date and I had dinner at a restaurant in Carmel a couple of tables from Clint Eastwood and his date. believe the restaurant was L'escarole.

I met, saw, or photographed so many over the years, I can?t remember them all. I saw them mostly through the viewfinder of a camera. I covered the funeral of David O. Selznick in Los Angeles in 1965. They had some kind of service in a type of ?chapel?. It was, a big old Gothic looking stone building. There was a big crowd of movie stars and other Hollywood people there who went to some kind of memorial service. I filmed them going in and coming out. I remember seeing Lauren Bacall, but I don?t remember any specific other people because I was so busy paying attention to my camera and the overall scene. I shot it in color and Techniscope on 35 mm film, but I?ve never seen the film. I shot it for an Italian documentary company and the film has never reached the US yet.

I also filmed the Premier of ?The Great Race? during that same summer. I think it was at the Pantages on Hollywood Boulevard. A lot of stars were there that night, including Judy Garland. I wish I had taken some still photos.

I went with my girlfriend to see Richard Pryor. After the show we were leaving and i noticed a Huge Limo parked next to a door in the back of the building and a small crowd gathering. So we walked over to the Limo and waited and waited and waited and the door opens and Arsenio Hall walks out and says the Mr. Pryor had already left in the first Limo. Liar Liar. Some of the people then just walked away. But not me, I waited for awhile longer and it Payed Off.

just this Christmas i saw Jesus Christ Superstar for the second time and i decided to wait for an autograph at the side entrance after the show (with about 20 others). after all the lesser-know actors came out, Corey Glover came out and he autographed my program. then one of the crew comes out and says that Ted Neeley (can you be more of a "superstar" in a superstar thread?) left from a different exit. about half the crowd wandered off.

20 minutes later he comes back out and says Ted is sick and won't be talking to any one. a few more wander off and now there's about 6 of us left.

15 minutes later the door opens and the same guys come out, tells us to come in out of the rain and Ted will meet us. so he signed my program and DVD. the nicest guy, and short!

My husband sold Red Skelton a track suit so he could exercise and Red was very

nice and gave an autograph. My husband said he is very tall!

(Does this count) ?

There is a fun story about Paul Newman. A lady went into a ice cream parlor and

spotted Paul Newman sitting at a table. She became flustered but she continued

to order her cone. She paid for it and left. A minute or two later , she came back

in. She realized she had left her wallet there. As she was retreiving the wallet

Paul N. said to her "By the way, your ice cream cone is in you purse".