Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM...sticking by the Classics..ONLY

>Instead of focusing on how and when TCM is going to turn into AMC (which is kind of akin to a dog chasing his tail at this point because the argument here never gets resolved it always ends in a stalemate) perhaps we could focus on suggestions for making TCM a stronger channel.

Excellent idea.

My suggestion is that TCM stop showing terrible movies like "Maverick" and "Men in Black" and other modern movies that aren't any good.

Thanks IZ

wow..thats great to hear about the programmer u spoke with assuring us of TCM staying the Glorious way it is!!Soooooooooo Nuff said about that! As far as making TCM stronger better the only real thing i can say is maybe as far as programming watching the movies they do play i mean as far as lets say Monday All About Eve..nooo bad Example..i could watch that movie one day and the next..lol..but sometimes they will do that and not with such great movies..;play the exact same program one day to the next..that bothers me..but other then that..i love the commentarys befor ethe movies he does..he always knows then coolest stuff either about the actors the movie..just stuff goin on the norm person wouldnt know..cool trivia..

very cool..

ty again all

Ava

My suggestion is that TCM not show three or four "newer" movies in a row, why not stagger

them, one from the thirties, one from the eighties, one from the forties, one from the seventies...

one from the fifties...this way I don't feel so let down when I see five or six films I don't consider classic, and if I saw them on another channell I would never watch...

Hey SCSU: "CM, sorry you weren't here earlier...we could have used you for referee. All the really good stuff got deleted."

I went back over the thread to see where the derailment started. Now I couldn't read his response to me becuz I have him on Ignore. But that was the beginning of the end of this thread.

Referee?? Whew! That'd be a tough gig. But folks here seem quite able to take care of themselves. Referee? I want some Twizzlers & Raisinets.

>My suggestion is that TCM not show three or four "newer" movies in a row, why not stagger them,

I agree.

It might be the "bunch of bad films in a row", caused by the "theme" days and months, that make the bad films seem so obvious.

If the films were more mixed, that might be better.

In fact, putting a bunch of pre-codes together might be a bad idea (although a lot of people here like them), since none of us have time to watch all of them, and we usually can't record 6 or 7 or 8 movies in a row.

A couple of months ago all the Val Lewton films were shown in a row, and my recorder messed up in the middle of the night and I missed recording two rare ones I've never seen. And I doubt now if I will ever get to see them. The Lewton films should have been spread out over the whole month and shown one in prime time every two or three nights, so we could actually see them.

I sit back here and read theses post as they come up and most of the time I don't follow only one or two threads a night, However I see the post from other threads, and sometimes it seems like a bunch of kids fighting over stupid stuff... Someone needs to call mutual corners ,and send them to bed...

The idea of these message boards is to discuss movies and trade trivia and information and theorys about movies, and generally enjoying movies.

I try to make my comments interesting and informative and help in any way I can, I have never said anything discouraging to anyone and While we all agree that TCM needs to keep mission to play classic movies, everyones definition of classic can be somewhat subject to interpretation,

So lets play nice and get along... I was just venting and saying something I'd thought on and off for a while here, if you chose make a big deal out of it ...ok

"It was entertaining, I gotta say. That bit about the cut-n-pasted flame was worth the whole show."

mickeeteeze -

Whadya say we hit the FreeRepublic Forums. Bet we could find some good reading over there. There has to be some fun threads like -

"Barack Obama is a Muslim"

"Hillary Clinton is a lesbian"

or even a wild

"The New York Philharmonic is an Unpatriotic and Commie Tool Organization for playing in North Korea."

Kyle In Hollywood

"...Sorry. All that's left are JuJubes and Good and Plenty."

I don't wanna go to bed! I don't wanna go to bed! I want my Maypo. Or at the very least, a box of Mike & Ike. Hey, ya think that was 'brokeback candy'?? Sorry I missed the fun.

I don't have a problem with TCM sprinkling a few 80s and 90s films in their lineup. However, I'd hope they would put great films from that era in their lineup. Hook, The Bodyguard, and Maverick won't do (BTW, I don't believe Men in Black is a terrible film at all). Films like Do the Right Thing, Goodfellas, The Player, Glengarry Glen Ross, and Short Cuts would are a few great films from the 80s and 90s I wouldn't mind seeing on the schedule.

Unforgiven aired last night, and though I didn't get the chance to revisit this film, that is another fine film welcomed to the TCM lineup (and Clint's best as director).

Forgive me Fred,

I thought we put this to rest? But ok..scinse i was the one to bring it up again,

but i must disagree with you they should by no means be throwing in movies from the 90s or80s..and god forbid they play men in black that is just wrong..i hate to say it again but AMC does that just fine

no offence,

Ava

I agree sticking with older movies is best, however I did catch most of MIB that night and enjoyed it, I hadn't seen it years and it was a fun way to end the evening. Granted its not the usual fare and shouldn't be included in the regular line up once in a while especially late at night. In fact if I'd remember it was on I might have sent it to dvd, Tommy Lee is funny, He remind me in some way of Bob Newhart with the deadpan delivery of lines. As I said TCM should stick with older movies but a walk on the newer side once in a while is ok.. Overall I enjoyed 31 Days of Oscar, I got to see and record a lot of stuff I'd missed or never seen..

Cinemaven,

Many posts ago, you were kind enough to ask why I no longer have TCM. It's not out of frustration. It's a financial thing. I don't have cable at all. I read a lot!

Thanks for asking.

RR

To sweetsmell,

i responded before to this post thinking its Fred..sorry Fred it was to u sweet...i do not agree with you on MIB or ANY of those movies in the time..they have NO PLACE her on TCM...ever..not even now and then u can got to AMC for that as ive said before

TY

Ava