Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM...sticking by the Classics..ONLY

I find it funny that so many come on here and DEMAND that TCM show this movie or don't show that movie. (and this is nothing new.)

When you get down to it this is still the only place you can get what we get. Yea, there is Retroplex but that still falls far behind what we have here.

First it's not our network. Does our opinion matter? Yes. Is it going to dictate what they do? Probably not. The number of people that post on this board compared to the total number of viewers is so small as to be insignificant. (Mind you, that is by number only.) From TCM's view their job is to attract more viewers. One way is by having the "31" days. Sometimes newer movies mean newer viewers. More viewers make the cable companies happy which may extend the life and scope of our beloved TCM.

And if it were only about how good a movie was some of the dreck from the 30's and 40's have no place here either.

I'm sure if the cutoff date for showing movies were back in the 70's, as some wish, the repeats would be more often and more annoying. As much as we would like the network is not our little club. Our little club is really the message board.

TCM is a business. They operate, I believe, under the goodwill of Time/Warner who could at any minute think the words I dread - "A noncommercial channel that shows nothing but old movies? How are we going to make any money doing that?"

While I don't think I have much of an interesting life I still can find things to do when something is on that I don't want to watch. Sometimes I come here.

Go ahead and vent. It's good we have someplace to vent. Just remember that while we are heard we are not all there is to hear.

Well Said! Mr. Movieman1957, Before TCM came around. I did nothing but wish there was a channel that showed Old Black & White films that I remember as a kid. I would search PBS Channels just for a Classic Fix. Yes, all channels show the same films (even Pay services).

So all those Nay Sayers.....Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth. There is NOTHING on TV like TCM....

AMC never came close to the great films here.

vallo

Sure I pay, But I also pay for HBO,SHO,Starz and the lot. and TCM is the best thing on Cable/Satellite or what ever service. When was the last time you saw this caliber of films on any pay or regular service??

vallo

It?s the recent shift and change that?s the problem, and the recent joining of the TCM film rental ?library? with the TNT and TBS film rental ?library?. Since 1994 I?ve been paying for TCM to see the classics and films made during the classic era of Hollywood. If I want to see the bad newer films I?ll watch TNT, TBS, and AMC. But I don't want to pay extra to see the bad modern films on TCM, especially not the ones like ?Men in Black? or ?Steel Magnolias? or ?Absence of Malice? and many others shown in February that have already shown on many other cable channels.

By the way, Vallo, the problem with this thread started with metro?s immature flaming and cursing early on. Some of his posts were finally deleted by management. Us normal folks, like you and me, can discuss this issue with maturity and decorum.

My concern is this new recent ?trend?. AMC began to decline with new modern trends and nobody fought it. It happened over several years, and finally their management decided they could make more money by throwing out the classic films altogether and showing modern junk and selling commercials.

It's true those films are easily accessible, but if they're on TV, I'd rather see a few 80s and 90s films on TCM rather than pan-and-scan/commericialzed AMC or any other cable network.

I know I'm in the minority of being OK with seeing a recent film on TCM every once in a while. Like I said, if they are going to air films of the past 25 years, I would want them to be great films and not the run-of-the mill junk.

Movieman,

though i agree with you on some things and i do..no matter how u want to cut it..this IS A OLD movie Classic channel..i mean thats what they play...and as u mentioned there are many other channels ppl can go for that DO play MIB..STAR WARS..ect ect...and us speaking our mind i think matters a little more then u give us crdeit for..or should i say TCM for...and TCM does not necessarily work FOR time warner...u can gaurantee that if they were to change there format the ppls VOICE would be heard and ppl WOULD just stop watching..an d it would matter to TCM im sure of that...

So though in the long run sure "they" can do what they want..i think u are underestimating the veiwers and for that matter TCM on the choices that are made here..

Soooo i will keep on stateing my opinion on the cahnnel that brings me soo much joy..including those bad as u said movies in the 30s and 40s..see HERE they have there purpose where nowhere else they most likely wouldnt...

Ty for listening,

the outspoken..lol

Ava

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Chris,

Congrats on a well-thought out post, especially about the number of posters here on the message board vs the number of viewers. TCM has 75 million viewers and less than 100 people who post on this message board regularly.

The only thing that this debate accomplishes here on the message board is to keep us arguing over something that is beyond our control.

By now, the folks at TCM who read these boards would have to be not only blind but deaf not to know how we feel about this subject. We've been loudly telling them about this for years. Just this year alone, we've been telling them in one thread or another since January.

At some point, we hit the saturation/overkill point and I think we not only hit it some time ago but continue to flog the subject to death. All this almost weekly arguing accomplishes is to keep us fractured as a group. It also tends to turn-off the majority of posters who come here to talk about something other than this topic and they end up either just lurking or leaving because the level of arguing too often spirals down to personal attacks.

I'm all for a good debate but at this point I'm all for retiring this topic for awhile.

I'd rather read what we all have to say about films than continue to beat this poor horse for the rest of the year.

t..and TCM does not necessarily work FOR time warner..>>

Ava,

TCM is owned by Time-Warner so in a way, TCM does work for Time-Warner.

>I'm all for a good debate but at this point I'm all for retiring this topic for awhile.

You are consistently for censoring this topic on this board. If people here don't like the modern new movies, especially ones that show often on TNT, TBS, and AMC, they should be allowed to say so. We pay for this channel. We made Ted Turner a multi-billionaire with our money paying for his original networks. I've been paying to see the original type of Turner networks since 1976, and I don't want to see TCM change to showing modern non-classic movies, especially ones that are shown on several other cable channels.

Fred,

I'm sorry that you took it as censoring. That's not what I meant at all.

By now we all know how we feel about this topic and which side of the debate we are all on.

I would rather read your insightful analysis of films and camera work than continue to argue with you about modern films on TCM.

But the more time you spend on this topic is less time you spend discussing films and I like to read your film posts much more than arguing with you.

>By now we all know how we feel about this topic and which side of the debate we are all on.

Ava's new here. She's still learning, and I don't think you are justified in telling her, basically, that this topic is "off limits" because you say it is. You consistantly try to shut up new young posters like this. I say you should leave them alone and let them express their opinions.

Ava,

Time-Warner Cable is not who owns TCM.

Ted Turner sold TCM (and his other broadcast stations) to Time/Warner/AOL back in the late 1990s when he merged his companies with Time/Warner/AOL.

The parent company of TCM is now that Time-Warner.

Time-Warner Cable is a cable network provider that is owned by the parent company, Time-Warner.

I don't think you are justified in telling her, basically, that this topic is "off limits" because you say it is. >>

Fred,

You are reading way too much into my post. I never said that the topic was off-limits. All I said was that I would like to see it retired for awhile. Perhaps I am the only one that feels that way.

But if you and anybody else wants to continue to discuss it, debate it, argue it, etc you are more than welcome to. I am not telling you that you can't. I don't have that power.

I was just saying that I prefer to read your thoughtful posts on films and camera work than continue to argue this topic with you.

Ty Iz..

but thats basiclly what i was saying to movieman..he siad Time Warner owns TCM and they dont..

on top of some other things i wasnt to keen on what he said including the remark about the movies in the 30s 40s..sheeesh...those movies have a great meaning to this channel and to movie history..they belong here..sorry im passionate about my classics

Ty

Ava

One other thing forgive me but isint this what these forums are for to speak our minds..get it off our chest? Speak out on the genres and eras we love so dearly? To defend them..mostly? Well at any rate i love coming here..i will never stop my free speech to defend or not TCM

Ty Ava

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

>All I said was that I would like to see it retired for awhile.

Lynn, these threads would die out quickly, like a lot of other threads, if you and people like metro didn?t jump in and condemn us for having our opinions about old and classic movies. I just came on this thread to support the new poster Ava, and to let her know that a lot of us feel the same way she does. JakeHolman agreed with her. PrinceSaliano agreed with her. redriver agreed with her. Then metro started his rude flaming name-calling posts and you and others jumped in and turned this thread into another battleground. You should just leave us alone. We don?t bother you over at SSO. So you shouldn?t bother us here.

he siad Time Warner owns TCM and they dont..>>

Ava,

Yes, they do. Time Warner (not Time Warner Cable) really does own TCM.

on top of some other things i wasnt to keen on what he said including the remark about the movies in the 30s 40s..sheeesh...those movies have a great meaning to this channel and to movie history..they belong here..sorry im passionate about my classics>>

No apologies necessary. Passion about film is one of the things that binds us together here. The majority of us are very passionate about film. I think you might have misunderstood what movieman was saying.

Not every film shown from the studio era is a good film (in fact, there were some real stinkers made back then) but TCM doesn't just show those films considered classic. If that were the case then they would have about 100 films that we would see over and over. What makes TCM a film buff's paradise is that TCM will show the classics, the serials, the b films, and the stinkers and treat them all like they are something special.

One other thing forgive me but isint this what these forums are for to speak our minds..get it off our chest? Speak out on the genres and eras we love so dearly? To defend them..mostly? Well at any rate i love coming here..i will never stop my free speech to defend or not TCM>>

Ava,

Again, I wasn't trying to imply that you don't have a right to voice your opinion. I was merely voicing mine in saying that I would like to see this topic retired for awhile. Instead of bringing us together as a group it tends to keep us fractured and in the end, that ends up not being good for the message boards because too often as we saw yesterday, it ends up in personal attacks.

The one thing I have learned from being here is that it matters not what I say on the subject, it will never die. This thread may die out in the next day or two but it will be brought back to life in a week or so under a different name.

So it has always been, so it will always be. :)

Then metro started his rude flaming name-calling posts and you and others jumped in and turned this thread into another battleground.>>

Fred,

This thread had turned into a battleground long before I posted last night.

We don?t bother you over at SSO. So you shouldn?t bother us here.>>

But then I would miss your thoughtful posts on film and camera work which I truly do enjoy.

>This thread had turned into a battleground long before I posted last night.

This thread started at 4:13 PM yesterday (Eastern time) and you've helped keep it going as a battleground last night and today.

I agree with Ava's original post. I am new to this message board, so for me this is not an old topic. If I wanted to watch movies from the 80's & 90's I can watch just about any other network. Most of the new movies TCM showed this past February are often shown on both premium and basic cable channels. Even PBS has cut down on the number of old movies they show on Saturday nights.

Sorry if I am just repeating what others have said, but this is my 2?, and am hoping some exec with influence will read this (and others) and next year hopefully they will not program movies from the 80's & 90's that can be seen anywhere.

I watch TCM almost exclusively. My neighbors all comment, "You like those old movies eh?"

YES!!!!!!