Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM...sticking by the Classics..ONLY

Iz..

forgive me i wasnt posting that to U...just in general..i agree lets put this issue to rest..but when i see post like that other one i saw basiccly putting down everything it stands for WE stand for i cant help but speak..i promise to do my part and not bring this issue up anymore its fine with me..:-)

Ty

Ava

Hi Martha,

Welcome..hehe..im actually new here to..im just very outspoken..lol..thanks for the support..no worries TCM understands the loyalty of its supporters,,but i promised not to bring this issue up anymore...lol..glad u got your 2 cents in... we all should

Ty Ava

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Ava,

No worries. If we weren't so passionate we wouldn't care so much. BTW, I think you'll find that Movieman is one of the most passionate around here as well. I don't think he meant any disrespect to the films of the 1930s and 1940s.

I hope my explanation about TCM and Time-Warner made sense.

Iz..

it did..thanks again.but in the end Time Warner doesnt own TCM..lol..anyway, COOl about Movieman i guess well be haveing some heated discussions..lol..anyway its all good i am new here and i have to get to know ppl..as i said before i just get a little passionate about my TCM..

thanks for the headsup..

Ava

but in the end Time Warner doesnt own TCM>>

Ava,

I think I know what your reply might be so I have to ask-

Who do you think owns TCM?

Ava:

Thank you for your repsonse. I didn't say what we think doesn't matter. It does. When people like "tcmprogrmmr" or "MGMWBRKO" visit and post on these boards by responding to a question on comment it is a grand thing. They do listen. However, I think there is far more info collected than what they get here. (Good as it is.)

I know if TCM changed there would be a huge uproar. We felt that when AMC changed. (I was heartbroken.) Let us not forget that from a business point, at least as of last year, AMC had big increases in their viewership after they changed.

I don't think I underestimate their commitment at all. Any network that will show the series of films TCM did in '07 surely has a commitment to us and their mission. Ultimately, it is out of their hands.

I am happy for you to state your opinion. I'm happy for others too as well. It would be awfully dull. As Lynn said we have debated this to death. A short search will find at least six or seven threads that have been down this road in the last month. We will never come to a complete agreement. My only point was to be happy in what we have, know it could go away at any time and make the best of things while we can.

Fred:

Now, now Fred, you know we are not a private club at SSO.

lol...

well it could be diffrent ppl..more then one..and i know that alot of big companies own other ones..but U said that they dont own it u said that they have a sister company which would make scense..but you can gaurantee that theres a president who RUNS TCM..ill have to llook up his name for ya..but ya know what i dont really care i was only saying it in the conteext of how movieman was saying it...lol..does that make sense???

Anyway..whomever the president is...keep up the good work..i say!!

Ava

ty

i will check it out..but im sure u all agree that there is a programmer and a president ect..who WILL make the final decisions about What is played and done on TCM..correct..thats where i was going with the ownership of TCM..not the Money men ..the actual nuances of this great channel!!

Ty Ava

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

I did s a search and among its many other holding is TCM:

http://www.cjr.org/resources/

Entertainment Networks

TBS Superstation

Turner Network Television (TNT)

Turner South

Cartoon Network

Turner Classic Movies

Cartoon Network in Europe

Cartoon Network in Latin America

TNT & Cartoon Network in Asia/Pacific

Film Production

New Line Cinema

Fine Line Features

Turner Original Productions

Entertainment Networks

TBS Superstation

Turner South

Cartoon Network

Turner Classic Movies

Film Production

New Line Cinema

Fine Line Features

Message was edited by: kennethlawson

Entertainment Networks

TBS Superstation

Turner South

Cartoon Network

Turner Classic Movies

Film Production

New Line Cinema

Fine Line Features

Entertainment Networks

TBS Superstation

Turner South

Cartoon Network

Turner Classic Movies

Film Production

New Line Cinema

Fine Line Features

Message was edited by: kennethlawson

Ava,

Yes there is a president of TCM and a Programmer, in fact, there are a couple of programmers. One of them responds to threads from time to time. That is TCMProgrammr. He has been with TCM for quite awhile. He is the one that reassures from time to time that TCM has no plans to follow AMC to the dark side. Another "insider' who posts here with info is WBMGMRKO.

TCM is a business so there are marketing folks and web folks and all the other departments that you would associate with a business and as a business it has a yearly budget and it helps if the channel brings in money.

But ultimately, Time Warner owns the company.

Hope that helps!

David,

Welcome! You're the author? Cool. We had a lot of fun talking about the article a few weeks ago on one of the threads. I can't remember now which one it was.

Very good article by the way. I really enjoyed reading it. We are all jealous that you got to spend the day with Robert O and hang out at the TCM offices. But, we'll get over it or at least some of us will! :)

Great to have you here on the boards!

David ! Welcome!

I posted links to both of your articles on another thread. They were great articles.

See in the original article where you say,

"Tabesh braces for an inevitable backlash.

"There are some people who watch the network constantly and some get grumpy about watching some of the newer ones, and think we're becoming more like AMC," he says.

I'm one of the ones who strongly dislikes TCM showing newer movies, especially bad newer movies. There are newer "classic" movies (I think "Easy Rider" might be one of those), but "Maverick" is not one of them. Nor is "Men in Black".

Fred

PS: Here's a link to your "bonus content" article:

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/popsmart/2008/02/20/turner-classic-movies-bonus-content/

Message was edited by: FredCDobbs

Hello David Simmons -

Your (very interesting) article was hashed over by a few of us. It was one of the most extensive pieces on TCM that I have ever seen - and probably the only one since the corporate restructuring. Because of that, I was quite happy you sought out and spoke with Tom Karsch. I'd love to know what he had to say "off the record". (but I know those comments won't see the light of day in here.)

You mentioned in your article that you were "told" in these Forums (I believe) that programming ideas are sometimes lifted from these discussion boards. It left us wondering if you participated in these Forums last Fall/Winter while researching the article. Did you? Or, by "told", did you mean that you read it in here? (And it is true. Some programming events for TCM have come out of posts and threads in here.)

And how much grief did you get over the "Ricky Ricardo" gaffe?

Hope you continue to hang out around here.

Kyle In Hollywood

So, I just finished reading the "bonus content" article and am more than a little miffed that the participants of the boards and movie morlock blogs are referred to as "film geeks" - a little too derisive of a label, IMO.

As a wannabe film geek, I was using it as a compliment, suggesting expertise. But I could definitely see how it could be construed as a negative term. No offense intended. As for the "Ricky Ricardo" gaffe... ugh! One of those embarrassing "brain cloud" moments that you can't excuse away. Yes, I got plenty of grief, and deservedly so.