Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Universal plans to re-release any of their Classic Horror Stuff?

ke4emk

Anyone know if there are any plans in the works to release the Frankenstein/Dracula et al 30's and 40's classic Horror movies? I missed them the first time they came around on DVD and now most, if not all are now OOP.

Bad news for re-releases of the Universal Horror classics on DVD. Universal is no longer producing them. Why, no one knows. One theory is that the classic goodies that were double-billed two years ago, i.e., "Mummy's Ghost" and "Mummy's Curse" may reappear after the theatarical showing of the big budget horror flick, "Van Helsing" starring Hugh Jackman this spring. A great website to go where we discuss all these mysteries is ScarletStreet.com.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

You can still get them on EBAY or if you live around the tri-state area of New York, the Princeton NJ has a record exchange that carries deleted dvds like these, for example. The Universal collection is a great labor of love and a fine example to restoration.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Anyone else think the Bela Lugosi set was an odd bit of marketing? Four of the five films also feature Karloff!?! You would think they would have dropped "...Rue Morgue" and marketed it as a Karloff/Lugosi set.

I'm hoping for a set featuring the lesser know Universal films like "Horror Island", "House of Fear", "Night Monster", "The Mad Doctor of Market Street", and "Secret of the Blue Room".

I'm a big fan of these films. They're the first 'vintage' films I got into and loved. They paved the way, through the various performers, to other films and genres. But I've never lost the enjoyment of these films. And I still haven't bought the set! I got rid of my VHS prior to its release, as I normally do, so I'll feel like I don't have anything holding me back from buying it. But these Universal releases are annoying me, as I'm sure they annoy others. The compression has caused endless problems (the second feature on all sides of my Hammer Horror Collection whizzes and spins uncontrolably in my player); the shoddy packaging causes scratches (I went through four Gary Cooper sets before I settled on one), and, you're right, this is an oddly-titled set, though I haven't bought it yet just because of its strange title. I do think they should have left Murders in the Rue Morgue off and dug The Gift of Gab out of whatever hole they've got it stashed in and called it The Boris Karloff/Bela Lugosi Collection. Lugosi's significance in Black Friday is ridiculous to include it in a collection devoted to him. I wonder what gives at Universal Home Video? Does anyone there actually like moves?? Maybe I'll wait for TCM to play them all again, like The Invisible Ray that's airing next month, I think.

Archived