Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Metropolisforever

Chan Is Missing (1982) - On IFC

Hello, everyone.

Has anyone seen this film?

I just saw this movie on IFC.

This sleeper hit tells the story of two taxi drivers searching the streets of San Francisco's Chinatown for the man who ran off with their money.

It is known to be one of the first major American film productions in which Chinese Americans are portrayed in a realistic fashion, using many non-actors, in contrast with other films, in which Chinese and Chinese Americans are portrayed in predictable and limited roles, based on stereotypes. The movie is considered a seminal work of Asian American cinema.

I thought it was a decent, realistic movie. It was not "spectacular", but it was a small, well-done indie film. The film is quiet and slow-moving. It's not for everyone.

The film has been selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry.

I know what you're thinking: Why should I watch this? It's just a couple of Asian guys yammering for 80 minutes. No stars. No breathtaking scenery. It's even in black & white, for Pete's sake! But using the rudiments of filmmaking technology, ace director Wayne Wang bursts the myth of San Francisco's Chinatown as a mysterious, unknowable "foreign" territory. This is a story of AMERICAN characters dealing with dilemmas specific to the Asian community. Its insider's look at Asian American culture remains a breakthrough for Asian American fictional cinema. Yes, it's a mystery, but don't expect Charlie Chan. He's missing, too.

This movie will be playing again on IFC.

Message was edited by: Metropolisforever

I have this recorded in the DVR but haven't had a chance to look at it yet because IFC was on a roll over the weekend which hasn't been true lately. Between Jim Jarmusch's Mystery Train, Being John Malkovich , Denys Arcand's Stardom - and I just had to watch Lawrence of Arabia on TCM - there wasn't time to get to it. I did take a peek at it and it looks interesting, the part about the Chinese guy who wouldn't let them in because he hates Chinese was very funny. I wonder though - do you know if this film shot in Academy Ratio or was it Panned and Scanned?

--

Terry Wallace

Why should I watch this? It's just a couple of Asian guys yammering for 80 minutes. No stars. No breathtaking scenery. It's even in black & white, for Pete's sake! But using the rudiments of filmmaking technology, ace director Wayne Wang bursts the myth of San Francisco's Chinatown as a mysterious, unknowable "foreign" territory. This is a story of American characters dealing with dilemmas specific to the Asian community. Its insider's look at Asian American culture remains a breakthrough for Asian American fictional cinema. Yes, it's a mystery, but don't expect Charlie Chan. He's missing, too.

http://www.manaa.org/VideoGuide.html

Ho hum, some people NEVER learn.

If you are going to quote you really should attribute. Rather than weakening your statement quoting other sources (particularly respectable sources) actually supports and strengthens it. Personally, responding to a post with an unattributed quote makes me feel like I was duped.

--

Terry Wallace

I saw this film in college. It's talky but pretty interesting, giving a view of a world I don't often see. The school where I went, (Northern Michigan) had three different film series, current film of the day, (86/90) cult movies, and other popular films from and earlier time, (mostly 50's through 70's.)