Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]...A THOUSAND YEARS.[/B]

Let's talk to the people of the future who will no doubt be watching classic films.

You are going to put five films in a vault that will NOT be opened for a thousand years.

When the people of the future open up the vault, what films will they find? Let me explain it like this:

Take five actors, actresses, directors OR any combination thereof:

1._________

2._________

3._________

4._________

5._________

And name one quintessential film that they've done that you feel represents the pinnacle of their career.

1._________ in "__________"

2._________ in "__________"

3._________ in "__________"

4._________ in "__________"

5._________ in "__________"

What film would that be? (The film, VHS tape, DVD, Betamax whatever will be protected & pristine when the vault is opened). You may explain your choice if you like, but really challenge yourself and pick one. What am I saying? Go on...break the "rules." You know you will anyway:

1. GARBO in "CAMILLE"

2. GABLE in "GONE WITH THE WIND"

3. BOGART in "CASABLANCA"

4. BETTE in "ALL ABOUT EVE"

5. HITCHCOCK'S "VERTIGO"

And if there's a teensy place left in the vault...may I add to the future:

6. TIERNEY in "LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN"

What would YOU add?

I wouldnt vault away anything because I want to watch them now when I am alive & not store them away. They will still be on DVD or a disc in 1000 yrs anyway

I wont store anything nyah nyah :)

(respectfully speaking)

Gregory Peck in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

Paul Newman in THE HUSTLER

Bette Davis in JEZEBEL

Tyrone Power in WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION

William Holden in SUNSET BOULEVARD

This is fun. I could go on and on.

Ok I will play along :)

Orson Welles Citizen Kane

Bela Lugosi Dracula

Claude Rains The Invisible Man

Alan Ladd/Veronica Lake The Glass Key

Ridley Scott Alien

Why these ? Because 1000 years from Noir Id like to think people will love variety, classic horror, 'modern' horror , Noir and fans will want to see if Citizen Kane is indeed the most overrated movie in history

How about these?

Vivien Leigh - A Streetcar Named Desire

Fred/Ginger - The Gay Divorcee

Robert Mitchum - Out of the Past

Bogart/Grahame - In A Lonely Place

Bette Davis - Now Voyager

I tried not to duplicate other choices. Streetcar is poetry, The Gay Divorcee well it's my favorite of theirs partly because it's just so funny, Out of the Past is my favorite noir. In A Lonely Place is so sad and Voyager so human. So hard to pick just five and I cheated a little by combining actors.

Message was edited by: molo14 trying to find out what happened to the second half of my post.

Message was edited by: molo14 okay maybe it will show up later.

The second half of my post.

Reasons for my list above.

I tried not to duplicate other choices. Streetcar is poetry, The Gay Divorcee well it's my favorite of theirs partly because it's just so funny, Out of the Past is my favorite noir. In A Lonely Place is so sad and Voyager so human. So hard to pick just five and I cheated a little by combining actors.

Well, this thread looks like fun.

I purposefully picked 1 from 5 different genres and I love each of them. However on another day, I might choose 5 different ones. In other words, this is a tough thread to answer, and leave my 5 answers permanent. In no special order ...

Errol Flynn in The Adventures of Robin Hood

John Wayne in Red River

Humphrey Bogart in The Maltese Falcon

Gene Kelly in Singin' In the Rain

James Stewart in Harvey

And maybe just to mess with their big evolved heads:

The Marx Brothers - Duck Soup

Carmen Miranda/Busby Berkeley - The Gangs All Here

Jonathan Winters - The Loved One

Peter Sellers - Dr. Strangelove

W. C. Fields - Never Give A Sucker an Even Break

Thanxx for participating. With so many threads floating around the board, it's flattering to have folks respond. May I ask some of you about your choices??

(1.) MOLO - Eclectic list, but I suggest you leave their big evolved future heads alone. Some of us might have progeny that survive into the future.

(2.) Bargar - For TYRONE POWER, what made you pick "Witness..." and not "Nightmare Alley"?

(3). Virginia - For STANWYCK, why this film so early in her career when she chewed up a lot of scenery later on?

(4.) bOb - For KELLY, why "...Rain" and not "American in Paris"??

(5.) Sweet Smell - For BURT, why "...Success" and not the bombastic "Elmer Gantry"?

(6.) Triple HHH (H3) - I'm glad you decided to play along and share some videos with the future and not hoard them all for yourself. ;-) My question to you is why an invisible CLAUDE RAINS than any numbers of films where we could see him?

Hope you guys can indulge me just a bit further when I ask you why, for those particular actors you've picked, why you find e.g. "NIGHT NURSE" the definitive Barbara Stanwyck film or Claude Rains film or Gene Kelly film etc.

Eclectic list, but I suggest you leave their big evolved future heads alone. Some of us might have progeny that survive into the future.

Oh alright, but I might be at that vault opening myself as I have a friend whose always trying to sell us on the idea of getting our heads frozen. I'm sure I'll need the laughs by then.

Cinemaven said - (6.) Triple HHH (H3) - I'm glad you decided to play along and share some videos with the future and not hoard them all for yourself. ;-) My question to you is why an invisible CLAUDE RAINS than any numbers of films where we could see him?

Why ?

Simple - he was Tremendous as the Invisible Man - it was a groundbreaking movie for him, the effects are still superior to current movies. Sometimes a great performance doesnt need to be seen, but simply heard. The movie is excellent. And Id be curious in 1000 yrs if anyone notices the one fatal flaw in this movie...

"I am the game and I want to play"

-HHH

CM,

Though I have no guarantee that the films that I submit to the vault will even be able to be played on available media 1000 years from now (the archivist's nightmare, don't you know) here are my picks:

Take five actors, actresses, directors OR any combination thereof: >>

John Ford

John Wayne

Gregory Peck

Humphrey Bogart

Francis Ford Coppola

And name one quintessential film that they've done that you feel represents the pinnacle of their career.

John Ford for The Searchers

John Wayne for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Greg Peck for To Kill a Mockingbird

Humphrey Bogart for Casablanca

Francis Ford Coppola for The Godfather and The Godfather, II

Honorable mention goes to:

William Wellman for The Ox-bow Incident

and

Howard Hawks for Rio Bravo

I don't know, to be honest. I feel Sweet Smell of Success is Burt's best, even though his work in Elmer Gantry is outstanding.

Even though both characters are hardly saints, I'd rather people to open up the vault and not immediately run away after seeing a few moments of Elmer's flamboyant style.

Why Singin' In the Rain and not An American in Paris? Hmmm...

AAIP I saw only once, and I enjoyed it. But SITR I've seen more than a few times and I never tire of it. I'm not really big on musicals, but I love this one. The song and dance numbers are great, especially the title tune, and Gene, Donald and Debbie? Wow! They lit up the screen together. Also, this movie has a pretty good story. I may be a bit partial to Debbie Reynolds, I enjoy her in so many of her movies. Also, she once kissed me on the cheek.

Cinemaven..

mines alot like yours..lol..so now i will have to pick others..

Ava Gardner...The Sun Also Rises

Vivian Leigh...Gone With The Wind

Bette Davis..All About Eve

Greta Garbo...Nonotchka

James Cagney...Yankee Doodle Dandy

But wow,..only 5 NEVER..theres waaaaay to many more you just cant leave out!

I would add

Kirk Douglas..Champion

Katherine Hepburn...The Philadelphia Story

Robert Taylor,,,Waterloo Bridge!!! great movie..

oh my gosh i could go on and on..lol

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Here are my picks, CM, but I am changing your rules slightly:

1. Greed (to demonstrate that films did not always have sound, but could still be powerful)

2. King Kong (to showcase special effects and to warn what happens when we try to "change" something we should not change)

3. Bambi (to show we did not need actors to make important films)

4. On the Beach (to show that we came to the brink, and survived)

5. King of Kings (sound version - to show that a simple message of peace and love can survive for all time)

lzcutter: we'll put our modern-day media in the vault too so the DVD's can play.

sweetsmell...: if the folks of the future are scared off by the flamboyant burt, wouldn't shirley jones' scene bring 'em back?

molo: well if a frozen head is good enuf for Ted Williams...

:-) :-) ;-)