Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Woohoo--Night Nurse and pre-codes on TCM Tonight!!!

Don't miss the 5 films that are being played tonight on TCM. They are all included on the New TCM dvd release--Forbidden Hollywood Vol 2.

Night Nurse with Barbara Stanwyck is one of my fav pre codes. Watch it tonight and you will see why!!!!!

I am also stoked for the Bogart film Three on a Match which I have never seen before.

Tonight is going to rule!!!

Kim, I'm also stoked about Tonights Pre-Codes. You'll love "Three on a Match". Mervyn LeRoy squeezed so much in a 64 minute film. Ann Dvorak is amazing in the film....Enjoy...

vallo

A pre-code is a movie made before 1935 before they strengthened the production code of content. Which means the movies are much more sexual (without nudity), sensual and more cutting edge content then the movies made after 1935. There is a great documentary on TCM tonight after the first movie. You should definitely watch it!!!! Pre-codes are the best!!

>i have to ask...newbie...lol..what is pre -codes?

Films made before 1934:

Pre-Code films were created before the Motion Picture Production Code or Hays Code took effect on 1 July 1934 in the United States of America. Although an existing code of conduct for the film industry came into being in 1930, many ignored it and it was not enforced very enthusiastically.

vallo

If you are including silent films in your discussion, I can think of three titles:

HULA (1927) in which Clara Bow as Hula Calhoun swims in the nude.

THE MATING CALL (1928) which was considered notorious for scenes in which Renee Adoree appears in the ?altogether.?

THE RIVER (1929) the strong sensuality of the images shocked puritan America and the later 'talkie' version was seen only outside of the United States.

I'm really looking forward to watching THE DIVORCEE and A FREE SOUL, again. I have seen both of these titles at least three times but they are my favorite of the pre-codes, and I can never get enough of Norma Shearer.

I'm so glad these films are being released on DVD.

The last part of "Three on a Match" is edge of your seat riveting. Ann Dvorak (as others have mentioned) gives a stand out performance. Is this her best work?

I've been a Norma Shearer fan as long as I've been a classic film fan. Which is a long time. I'm glad she is finally getting the appreciation she deserves with the revival of these pre-codes. At one time she was derided by the likes of critic Pauline Kael. I'm convinced Kael never examined her early work.

Thank to TCM reviving these films, as well as Mick LaSalle's book "Complicated Women", and the documentary of the same name, that's all changed. Shearer is gaining new fans to this day. It is said Gables rough handling of her in "A Free Soul" made him an overnight sensation.

Ruth Chatterton is someone you don't hear a lot about these days. In "Female" she's great at turning the gender stereotypes around. I've only seen a few of her films. "Dodsworth" being my favorite.

"Night Nurse" is another good one. It's interesting to see two examples of Gable's early film work tonight. What more can be said about Barbara Stanwyck? She is simply the greatest.

Good job TCM!

BTW, All of tonights titles are linked from the TCM database to the Forbidden Hollywood DVD set except "The Divorcee" which still comes up as unavailable on DVD.

What a great night for some real history, the documentary was a humdinger and the films bookending it, such as "Night Nurse" playing now, are real eye-openers to both those familiar with movie history and those who aren't. It's truly shocking to see what early Hollywood was churning out!