Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There all Gorgoues..but

Hey all,

i had to add (of course)..lol..to this gorgoues stars..though its no secret that Ava Gardner is my fav...there are MANY gorgoues actresses in that era! But when i say gorgoues it has to be MORE then just the outside, which i happen to think Ava has in spades...its in the eyes..the soul..whatever u want to call it...besides Ava...Vivian Leigh had that! Rita Hayworth had that..and as well another actress who wasnt known necessarily for her so called Gorgouesness..but for sure she had it..to me..is the one and only GREATA GARBO.....boy did she have it..

soooo..its not to me ALL about the outside..but it doesnt hurt to be gorgoues..as well!...lol

Ty

Ava

Ingrid Bergman had it! And so did Gene Tieriny (I really need to look up how to spell her name, I seriously never can.) And of course they both happened to be Drop Dead Beautiful. (I won't even attempt to spell gorgeo...well you know what I'm talking about.)

Hi

I just love your passion for Ava! I mentioned last week that I had seen "The Barefoot Contessa" and found Miss Gardner absolutely stunning and I see today TCM is showing "The Night Of The Iguana" and I'm definitely going to check this out. I've only seen a handful of her films. I still lean towards the sultry beauty Gene Tierney as my personal fave (in the beauty department) but the more I see Miss Gardner on film the more i'm mesmerized. IMO Ingrid Bergman is a close second to Tierney but in the acting category it's got to be handed to the incomparable Bette Davis.

lol....ILoveRayMilland...

i loved your thread! Very Refreshing...

.......YES..Ingrid Bergman had it!! I completly agree! And dont EVEN worry about your spelling. definintly not with me anyway..lol

ty for the reply

Ava!!

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Hi Cinemajestic,

thanks so much for the kind reply....yes im very passionate about my Ava..lol.but as u can see im not blinded..i see other beauty as well..lol...but as Humphrey Bogart said so beautifully in Barefoot Contessa....(not word for word) shame on me..lol...anyway...he says u can search the world for another pretty face..youll find it..but youll never find another maria..not like maria (Ava)..

at any rate...i do think GeneTeireny is Very pretty but Gene to me, was a whole different beauty from Ava..She to me was Pretty Very Pretty ..but lacked that that UMPH! lol....not gorgoues..to me..but a soft.in every way..soft spoken..almost holding back..very very pretty just not the same...was that clear...lol....and as far as acting...by far..yes bar NONE...Bette Davis had it in spades..could not touch her...i totally agree!

oh and yes there are 2 movies on this morning of Ava..The Great Sinner..and The Night Of The Aguana..the Great Sinner was very early in Avas career..and The Night Of The Aguana was later in her career...worth checking out..great movies both..Ava to me always shines in her later years and of course when she was a whiper snapper...lol..

But as a Ava a pro...lol...if u REALLY want to see her act and shine..try and check out (ive been requesting this) The Sun Also Rises with Tyrone Power...NO DOUGHT Ava at her best...she will bring tears to your eyes!

thanks so much again

Ava;-)

Hiya, PKTrekkieGirl -- You know, for a gal who doesn't have good taste in men, you're pretty darn sharp with the ladies. :)

My Personal Favorites

1. Grace Kelly

2. Gene Tierney

3. Gloria Grahame

4. Ava Gardner

5. Lana Turner

6. Rita Hayworth

7. Linda Darnell

8. Claudia Cardinale

9. Ingrid Bergman

10. Madeleine Carroll

Welcome to the board, Ava!

• 5 weeks later...

Sinatra deserved her!!!!

I found out that Frank apparently wrote and sang the song "I'm a fool to want you" for Ava (after they were divorced). It makes me so sad when he sings it! Especially the part where he sings about "Take me back.....I can't live without you......"

Hi ya ILoveRay

lol...i think i heard something about that that Frank sang that about her to....but im SURE while singing it he thought of Ava..no dought!!! And yes i can tell u for sure there are times he wished he didnt love her so much...but in the end there love was beyond compare to all the very passionate romances that did go on then.....they adored each other...

thanks for the comments

AvaG

hey Frank,

i never got to comment on your thread sorry hun guess i missed that boat.;;anyway better late then never i say.....lol..i love your list of movie beautys there all beautiful...but u know who i think is the most beautiful,...hmmmmmmm AVA...

Anyhoot thank u for the welcome aboard Frank!

AvaG :-)

Hiya, Ava! -- Anyhoot thank u for the welcome aboard Frank!

You're quite welcome!

i never got to comment on your thread sorry hun guess i missed that boat.;;anyway better late then never i say.....lol..i love your list of movie beautys there all beautiful

Thanks!

...but u know who i think is the most beautiful,...hmmmmmmm AVA...

Now why does this not come as a surprise to me? :)

In terms of sex appeal, I'd rank Ava #2 for me, behind Gloria Grahame, although I'm someone who does believe Ava is the sexiest starlet of them all. I actually prefer the "mature" Ava, too.

Hey Frank...

YES..me tooo i loove the mature Ava...i loved her in The Beach...i thought she was goooorgoues in that movie..she was 35...in her prime...heehee...and she loooked gorgoues i thought....

forgive me u are going to kill me please send me a pic of Gloria..im sure i know her whne i see her but the pictures not coming to my mind of her...sowwy...

no problem about gettin back to me u are now.. oh yes i totally agree SEXY=AVAGARDNER....lol

thanks Frank

AvaG

;-)

YES..me tooo i loove the mature Ava...i loved her in The Beach...i thought she was goooorgoues in that movie..she was 35...in her prime...heehee...and she loooked gorgoues i thought....

I'm considering buying the On the Beach DVD this week.

forgive me u are going to kill me please send me a pic of Gloria..im sure i know her whne i see her but the pictures not coming to my mind of her...sowwy...

I think most classic film fans know Gloria Grahame as either "Violet Bick" in It's a Wonderful Life or "Ado Annie Carnes" in Oklahoma!.

Here's Gloria Grahame in my favorite performance of hers, In a Lonely Place

inalonelyplace1.jpg

inalonelyplace4.jpg

inalonelyplace5.jpg

inalonelyplace2.jpg

inalonelyplace3.jpg

Frank..

thats her! I looooooove her..very good actress...She didnt play many lead roles correct? I rememeber her in many movies...the one i remember most was one she did with Humphrey Bogart right? I think the pic u showed me is the movie i mean..that is Humphrey right? A

nyway i really like her i always have! Thank u much for clearing that up for me..

Aas far as the movie is far as The Beach i wouldnt call it a great movie by any stretch of the imagination but she was very good in it...and as i said before she was in her prime..she just looked so beautiful to me in it..imean she always looked beautiful..lol..but there was something when she was 35 as to when she was 35...She looked well mature..well lets just say EVEN more beautiful to me then when she was 25..if thats possible..

thanks for the pics of Gloria again!

AvaG :-)

I think most classic film fans know Gloria Grahame as either "Violet Bick" in It's a Wonderful Life or "Ado Annie Carnes" in Oklahoma!.

not true frankie. if they were real classic film fans they would know all her GREAT roles, silly. but you know she is really good in Oklahoma, and i think you should see it. she has a rather big part in it next to gordon mccrae and shirley jones. i just love her songs in it!

those screencaps of yours.....they never fail! :)

Hi, AvaG -- thats her! I looooooove her..very good actress...She didnt play many lead roles correct?

That's correct. What's funny is that no other actress makes me smile like Gloria does. Her mere presence sends me.

I rememeber her in many movies...the one i remember most was one she did with Humphrey Bogart right? I think the pic u showed me is the movie i mean..that is Humphrey right?

Yep.

thanks for the pics of Gloria again!

I was spoiling myself. :)

Aas far as the movie is far as The Beach i wouldnt call it a great movie by any stretch of the imagination but she was very good in it...and as i said before she was in her prime..she just looked so beautiful to me in it..imean she always looked beautiful..lol..but there was something when she was 35 as to when she was 35...She looked well mature..well lets just say EVEN more beautiful to me then when she was 25..if thats possible..

I've never seen the film but I'm very intrigued by what I've read about Ava's character.

Hiya, ButterlateGREER -- not true frankie. if they were real classic film fans they would know all her GREAT roles, silly.

Okay, Silly Goose, what two films do you think most classic film fans know Gloria from? You can only pick two.

but you know she is really good in Oklahoma, and i think you should see it. she has a rather big part in it next to gordon mccrae and shirley jones. i just love her songs in it!

If I'm going to own a musical on DVD it may end up being Oklahoma! because of the very sweet and innocent Gloria. Actually, there is another musical I'm considering getting on DVD -- On the Riviera. :D

those screencaps of yours.....they never fail!

Uh-oh. You're trying to "butter" me up so that I watch Pride and Prejudice.

inalonelyplace7.jpg

inalonelyplace6.jpg

Frank,

i knew that was the movie..lol....yes i can imagine u would get sent by Gloria....lol...She has many appealing qualities not only very pretty but ionnocent,sexy,very sexy actually not in a obvious way but u know it when she talks looks at u...yes im sure she is one of the true underrated actresses...exspecailly NOT being a quote unquote leading lady...yep shes great..

Yes Avas performance was VERY good..very dramatic in it....as well though she has a scene on the beach with Gregory when there frolicking together on the beach...and u just get this feeling that Ava Gardner has come in to her own skin...just matured from the whisper beauty of 25 to the mature woman of 35...yes well worth seeing for her performance!

thanks again

Ava

yes i can imagine u would get sent by Gloria....lol...She has many appealing qualities not only very pretty but ionnocent,sexy,very sexy actually not in a obvious way but u know it when she talks looks at u

Gloria understood her appeal:

"It wasn't the way I looked at a man, it was the thought behind it."

Yes Avas performance was VERY good..very dramatic in it....as well though she has a scene on the beach with Gregory when there frolicking together on the beach...and u just get this feeling that Ava Gardner has come in to her own skin...just matured from the whisper beauty of 25 to the mature woman of 35...yes well worth seeing for her performance!

That all sounds good to me.

Ava and Gloria appeared in one film together: Blonde Fever.

Ava was 23 when she appeared in Whistle Stop

whistlestop1.jpg

whistlestop2.jpg

Hiya, ButterlateGREER -- not true frankie. if they were real classic film fans they would know all her GREAT roles, silly.

Okay, Silly Goose, what two films do you think most classic film fans know Gloria from? You can only pick two.

only two? is this a trick question?

oh alright i suppose......um....now let me think about this. if someone were a TRUE classics fan, they would know all sorts of genres and gloria certainly did a great job of being in many genres of film.

people might easily know her from The Big Heat with which she costarred the handsome Glenn Ford or in Bad and the Beautiful, or even The Glass Wall. but thats not to say that those movies grasped her best performances. they are famous so more people know them. oops! i said three didnt i? well you know what i mean right frankie? she was in many well known movies and isnt necessarily just known for being Ado Annie in Oklahoma b/c it is a cutise musical.

but you know she is really good in Oklahoma, and i think you should see it. she has a rather big part in it next to gordon mccrae and shirley jones. i just love her songs in it!

If I'm going to own a musical on DVD it may end up being Oklahoma! because of the very sweet and innocent Gloria. Actually, there is another musical I'm considering getting on DVD -- On the Riviera.

i figured those two musicals would be the only ones you would ever get. heehee! they have your favorite women in them.....but you are forgetting one.......i thought you liked miss impassive.....she is in High Society isnt she? now i dont like this version even though frankie sinatra is in it, b/c grace is in it and i looooove the original better with kate hepburn and cary grant.

although i usually go with the musical version of everything.

those screencaps of yours.....they never fail!

Uh-oh. You're trying to "butter" me up so that I watch Pride and Prejudice.

heehee! you guessed me! actually i really do like those caps. that are quite intriguing and really say a lot. they capture some of the best scenes from that movie!

did you put those last two on purpose? do i even have to ask? heehee!

Of course!

oh alright i suppose......um....now let me think about this. if someone were a TRUE classics fan, they would know all sorts of genres and gloria certainly did a great job of being in many genres of film.

I'm not so sure about the "true" part. I think there are many classic film fans who probably haven't seen Gloria's films noir.

people might easily know her from The Big Heat with which she costarred the handsome Glenn Ford or in Bad and the Beautiful, or even The Glass Wall. but thats not to say that those movies grasped her best performances. they are famous so more people know them. oops! i said three didnt i? well you know what i mean right frankie? she was in many well known movies and isnt necessarily just known for being Ado Annie in Oklahoma b/c it is a cutise musical.

I think Gloria's best performances are from her films noir, but I believe the masses know her as "Violet Bick" and "Ado Annie."

i figured those two musicals would be the only ones you would ever get. heehee! they have your favorite women in them.....but you are forgetting one.......i thought you liked miss impassive.....she is in High Society isnt she? now i dont like this version even though frankie sinatra is in it, b/c grace is in it and i looooove the original better with kate hepburn and cary grant. although i usually go with the musical version of everything.

Ahhh, yes, Grace. That would be another musical I'd consider getting. I actually look to get Gene and Gloria films before the highly emotional Grace. :D

heehee! you guessed me! actually i really do like those caps. that are quite intriguing and really say a lot. they capture some of the best scenes from that movie!

Thanks. I loved seeing Gloria get emotional. She was terrific in the final act of the film.

did you put those last two on purpose? do i even have to ask? heehee!

That's my favorite scene in the film. Gloria's rough edges are stripped away in that scene.

Of course!

why cant i ever get an easy question out of you?

I'm not so sure about the "true" part. I think there are many classic film fans who probably haven't seen Gloria's films noir.

well you are right about that.sorry! ;) i guess it just depends upon what kind of movies you like huh?

I think Gloria's best performances are from her films noir, but I believe the masses know her as "Violet Bick" and "Ado Annie."

now that happens to be based on an opinion, silly goose. grabdmama thinks one of her best performances was as "Ado Annie". heehee! but i actually agree with both of you. i love her characters in her films noir, but i also love her as the fiesty girl who just couldnt day no. ;)

Ahhh, yes, Grace. That would be another musical I'd consider getting. I actually look to get Gene and Gloria films before the highly emotional Grace.

wow! you are actually putting them before miss impassive?

Thanks. I loved seeing Gloria get emotional. She was terrific in the final act of the film.

she was always terrific in the final acts of her movies, frankie. :)

i thought you liked miss impassive.....she is in High Society isnt she? now i dont like this version even though frankie sinatra is in it, b/c grace is in it and i looooove the original better with kate hepburn and cary grant.

although i usually go with the musical version of everything.

I feel the same way! This musical just doesn't do much for me, though I love the songs Frank and Bing sing. Grace looks beautiful but this movie pales in comparison to The Philadelphia Story. I also think Virginia Wiedler in the original was much funnier than that annoying little girl in HS.