Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There all Gorgoues..but

AvaG92260

I feel the same way! This musical just doesn't do much for me, though I love the songs Frank and Bing sing. Grace looks beautiful but this movie pales in comparison to The Philadelphia Story. I also think Virginia Wiedler in the original was much funnier than that annoying little girl in HS.

yes i love frankie and bing isnt too bad in it, but there is just no camparison where kate and cary are involved. and they did such a great job with their characters. i dont think anyone else could pull them off in that sense that they did....especially by virginia wielder. she was so cute in the original.

Ciao, Sweet T! -- why cant i ever get an easy question out of you?

That's too dull.

I'm not so sure about the "true" part. I think there are many classic film fans who probably haven't seen Gloria's films noir.

well you are right about that.sorry!

I'm right? Are you okay?

i guess it just depends upon what kind of movies you like huh?

Most definitely. I think the majority of TCM's viewing audience is more familiar with It's a Wonderful Life and Oklahoma! than film noir.

I think Gloria's best performances are from her films noir, but I believe the masses know her as "Violet Bick" and "Ado Annie."

now that happens to be based on an opinion, silly goose. grabdmama thinks one of her best performances was as "Ado Annie". heehee! but i actually agree with both of you. i love her characters in her films noir, but i also love her as the fiesty girl who just couldnt day no.

It's definitely a matter of opinion. I love Gloria as a femme fatale or a down-on-her-luck gal the most. Although she's really neither of those in In a Lonely Place, which is my favorite performance of hers.

Ahhh, yes, Grace. That would be another musical I'd consider getting. I actually look to get Gene and Gloria films before the highly emotional Grace.

wow! you are actually putting them before miss impassive?

Yes, I like Gene Tierney and Gloria Grahame more than Miss Emotional. :P I like Barbara Stanwyck and Linda Darnell more than the Princess, too. My favorite of character among those actresses is a Grace character, though. I love Francie in To Catch a Thief.

Thanks. I loved seeing Gloria get emotional. She was terrific in the final act of the film.

she was always terrific in the final acts of her movies, frankie.

:D That's so nice of you to say. In a Lonely Place is a different kind of Gloria for me. She has to project a wider range of emotions in that film and I thought she did a very nice job. I really liked her crying at the end. I thought it was beautiful.

why cant i ever get an easy question out of you?

That's too dull.

figures. heehee! i never get off the hook with you.

I'm right? Are you okay?

now that you mention it, i do feel a touch of warmth in my forehead. and who's fault is that? hmm i wonder!

Most definitely. I think the majority of TCM's viewing audience is more familiar with It's a Wonderful Life and Oklahoma! than film noir.

well if you think about it most classic fans are also familiar with The Bad and the Beautiful and The greatest Show on Earth too. many people love film noir, just not as much as you do. heehee! well maybe Ollie would be right up there with you. heehee!

am i right Ollie?

It's definitely a matter of opinion. I love Gloria as a femme fatale or a down-on-her-luck gal the most. Although she's really neither of those in In a Lonely Place, which is my favorite performance of hers.

i can't believe i am to agree with you, but i love her performance in In a Lonely Place. it is one of my favs of hers....and you just said why. heehee!

Yes, I like Gene Tierney and Gloria Grahame more than Miss Emotional. I like Barbara Stanwyck and Linda Darnell more than the Princess, too. My favorite of character among those actresses is a Grace character, though. I love Francie in To Catch a Thief.

APRIL!!! did you hear that? he admitted to it! finally! we now the truth. he's been holding out on us! that spell is working better than i thought. heehee! i didnt like her character in To Catch a Thief, b/c she wanted to turn him in....the man she loves. how mean is that? paula would never do that to smithy, even if he did have a knife in his hands, which WILL NEVR HAPPEN! heehee!

That's so nice of you to say. In a Lonely Place is a different kind of Gloria for me. She has to project a wider range of emotions in that film and I thought she did a very nice job. I really liked her crying at the end. I thought it was beautiful.

the ending to tht movie made me cry a lot. but i just love it anyway! it is such a touching well made movie with a great story and casting! for me, her character was very strong.

Butterscotch, FrankGrimes, and MissGoddess: I so want to join the fray, but it's soooo much fun to read your spirited, friendly ribbing and knowledgeable discussion re: Double G. I don't need to add a thing. You guys are saying it all! And she was spectacular!

But Frank, Gloria really affects you more than Ava G? Didja ever see "Pandora..." or "The Killers"??

Hey there, CineMaven! -- I so want to join the fray, but it's soooo much fun to read your spirited, friendly ribbing and knowledgeable discussion re: Double G. I don't need to add a thing. You guys are saying it all! And she was spectacular!

You can join in whenever you like, CM. You'll only add to the fun.

But Frank, Gloria really affects you more than Ava G? Didja ever see "Pandora..." or "The Killers"??

I have not seen Pandora and the Flying Dutchman or The Killers, so I really haven't see a good "young Ava" film yet. I'm sure my love for Ava will soar after I watch those two films. As of now, I prefer the "mature" Ava in terms of the characters she played. I love "Maxine Faulk" from The Night of the Iguana and "'Honey Bear' Kelly" from Mogambo. Both characters are full of spunk yet both are lonely inside. I'm gonna get On the Beach on DVD later this week because of Ava.

Gloria is just different than all the rest. She's not as gorgeous as Grace Kelly or Gene Tierney and she's not as sexy as Ava, yet she just moves me like no other.

Hello Mr. G.: "Gloria is just different than all the rest. She's not as gorgeous as Grace Kelly or Gene Tierney and she's not as sexy as Ava, yet she just moves me like no other."

I respect that Frankie G. I respect that.

BTW...I thought Donna Douglas was lovely.

She was in that Twilight Zone episode (about the eye of the beholder) and in "Lover Come Back" as a secretary. But she's no Anne Francis!

Whew!

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> BTW...I thought Donna Douglas was lovely.

> She was in that Twilight Zone episode (about the eye of the beholder) and in "Lover Come Back" as a secretary. But she's no Anne Francis!

>

> Whew!

Hey-O, CM! The original "Ellie May" is starring in the Ford at Fox...thread. She's no Donna Douglas but I think she's got her beat.

Hola, Lively Dame -- I respect that Frankie G. I respect that.

;) I understand it when you, Bronxie, and others are a little surprised to learn I'm a

such a sucker for Gloria. She's not the first actress that comes to mind when it

comes to classic Sirens but she sings the song I have no resistance to. Gene Tierney

is #2 for me, although Gene doesn't always represent sexuality with me like Gloria

does.

BTW...I thought Donna Douglas was lovely. She was in that Twilight Zone episode

(about the eye of the beholder) and in "Lover Come Back" as a secretary. But she's

no Anne Francis! Whew!

I like Elly May. She's on the cute side.

Bonjour, Miss G(ene) -- That's because you haven't seen Ellie May!

I have now! She's sweet and dirty!

Howdy, Sweet T -- figures. heehee! i never get off the hook with you.

Do you want me to throw you back? :D

I'm right? Are you okay?

now that you mention it, i do feel a touch of warmth in my forehead. and who's fault is that? hmm i wonder!

I warned you about me and headaches.

well if you think about it most classic fans are also familiar with The Bad and the Beautiful and The greatest Show on Earth too. many people love film noir, just not as much as you do. heehee! well maybe Ollie would be right up there with you. heehee!

It's Violet Bick and Ado Annie!

am i right Ollie?

Ollie took Buffalo Chuck's money and split.

i can't believe i am to agree with you, but i love her performance in In a Lonely Place. it is one of my favs of hers....and you just said why. heehee!

Sometimes you display good taste, T. :P Now I need to find a way to get you away from Coop.

Yes, I like Gene Tierney and Gloria Grahame more than Miss Emotional. I like Barbara Stanwyck and Linda Darnell more than the Princess, too. My favorite of character among those actresses is a Grace character, though. I love Francie in To Catch a Thief.

APRIL!!! did you hear that? he admitted to it! finally! we now the truth. he's been holding out on us! that spell is working better than i thought. heehee!

Now what did I admit to? And why must you continue to talk to your imaginary friend?

i didnt like her character in To Catch a Thief, b/c she wanted to turn him in....the man she loves. how mean is that? paula would never do that to smithy, even if he did have a knife in his hands, which WILL NEVR HAPPEN! heehee!

Francie was just being obstinate and wrong-headed like most blondes tend to be. :D Paula annulled her marriage to Smithy. How cruel!

That's so nice of you to say. In a Lonely Place is a different kind of Gloria for me. She has to project a wider range of emotions in that film and I thought she did a very nice job. I really liked her crying at the end. I thought it was beautiful.

the ending to tht movie made me cry a lot. but i just love it anyway! it is such a touching well made movie with a great story and casting! for me, her character was very strong.

I actually thought Laurel (Gloria Grahame) had a little bit of weakness to her. I think she was afraid of commitment.

I like Elly May. She's on the cute side.

Bonjour, Miss G(ene) -- That's because you haven't seen Ellie May!

I have now! She's sweet and dirty!

i absolutely love Ellie May!!!

i dont think anyone can not love her! she's too lovable.

ill answer the rest a little later frankie darlin'. you cant change the subject on me now! heehee!

Hey Frank,

i love those pics of my girl..i hate to say i never saw Whistle Stop....and thats cool her and Gloria did a movie together, awesome i would love to see them together!

I like that quote it wasnt what i said but the thought behind it! Brilliant and sooooo true! heehee..

ty again Frank

AvaG!

Hi, Ava G! -- i love those pics of my girl..i hate to say i never saw Whistle Stop....

Whistle Stop is a rather ordinary film but Ava is quite sexy in the film.

and thats cool her and Gloria did a movie together, awesome i would love to see them together!

I've never seen Blonde Fever but I'd love to see it because of Gloria. It's her first film. She was just 20-years-old. Ava supposedly doesn't have that big of a role. Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy are also in the film as what looks to be extras.

mogambo1.jpg

mogambo2.jpg

mogambo3.jpg

I love this shot by John Ford. It says so much about each character yet, at the same

time, it doesn't. Looks can be deceiving.

mogambo4.jpg

mogambo5.jpg

mogambo6.jpg

mogambo7.jpg

Hey Frank,

i looove those pics..my honey bear...lol....she was sooo sassy in that movie...as much as i really do love Grace Kelly god was she beautiful...she so ANNOYED me in her role in Magambo...i felt like Ava did about her...i was constantly rolling my eyes as Ava did in the movie when she spoke....lol...very annoying....but greeeeeat movie no dought...i loved it...wish i was watching it right now..lol...dont own it yet that will be the next i will get from TCM.... ;-)

scinse were talking about Grace i just want to say my fav movie with her i think is To Catch A Theif with my number 1 man Cary Grant! Wow...the 2 of them together...made for some Steeeeamy scenes..

well thanks again Frank!

AvaG :-)

i looove those pics..my honey bear...lol....she was sooo sassy in that movie

"Honey Bear" is one of my favorite characters in film. You're right, she's very sassy... on the outside. On the inside, she's looking for love. She's got a lip, but it's a jealous, wanting lip.

as much as i really do love Grace Kelly god was she beautiful...she so ANNOYED me in her role in Magambo...i felt like Ava did about her...i was constantly rolling my eyes as Ava did in the movie when she spoke....lol...very annoying

I think that's the point of Grace's character, "Linda Nordley." Linda is a dignified, icy married woman who starts to melt thanks to Vic and the environment. I definitely prefer Honey Bear to Linda but I don't dislike Linda.

but greeeeeat movie no dought...i loved it...wish i was watching it right now..lol...dont own it yet that will be the next i will get from TCM....

I'm a Mogambo fan. I enjoy the fireworks.

scinse were talking about Grace i just want to say my fav movie with her i think is To Catch A Theif with my number 1 man Cary Grant! Wow...the 2 of them together...made for some Steeeeamy scenes..

Speaking of fireworks... I love Francie. I simply adore her.

tocatchathief1.jpg

tocatchathief2-1.jpg

tocatchathief3-1.jpg

tocatchathief4-1.jpg

tocatchathief5-1.jpg

tocatchathief6-1.jpg

tocatchathief7-1.jpg

tocatchathief8.jpg

Frank,

absolutly, i agree that was the point of her character and she did it very well. didnt dislike her just found her hard to listen to after awhile the kind of girl u knew meant well but was hard to keep hearing...lol... i loove those pics.....yes i really liked her in To Catch A Theif! I loved how she kept coaxing Cary on and on and on..it was great..fun to watch them....

thanks for the pics again Frank!

AvaG

Hey, Hunter Hearst Helmsley -- Think I will be watching Mogombo soon - if you mean the Clark Gable movie or is it Magambo ?

That's the one. It's a very interesting triangle film. The sexual subtext is thick.

Hiya, AvaG -- absolutly, i agree that was the point of her character and she did it very well. didnt dislike her just found her hard to listen to after awhile the kind of girl u knew meant well but was hard to keep hearing

Linda Nordley is definitely an ice princess. Grace is the perfect actress for such a role. :)

yes i really liked her in To Catch A Theif! I loved how she kept coaxing Cary on and on and on..it was great..fun to watch them....

That's why I love Francie so. She's playfully devilish but it's all because she likes "The Cat."

thanks for the pics again Frank!

You're welcome!

nightoftheiguana1.jpg

nightoftheiguana2.jpg

nightoftheiguana3.jpg

Frank,

these are GREAT!! Night Of The Iguana!!! Great great great...i as well thought that Richard Burton was very good in this! as well of course my girl...lol..

youve put a big smile on my face tonight!...ty

AvaG ;-)

The pictures of Ava in Mogambo are almost breathtaking. Grace probably never thought she ever had to play second fiddle to anyone (and she doesn't) but I wonder if it ever occurred to her how dangerous it might be to appear on the same screen with Ava. I haven't seen the movie but from those pictures it appears that Ava could upstage Grace in a trice. It doesn't help either that Grace was the ice princess versus the down-to-earth sexuality of Ava. I'll have to look for this one when it comes up again on TCM. Ava, wow!

hey caroline! sorry i didnt reply last night sooner, my internet was being funny agin. sorry! :)

To Catch a Thief was a most interesting movie for me to watch. when i first saw that, i hadnt watched any like it yet...i didnt mind grace's charater as francie as much here, but she was weird to me, who would even want to give up their love to the cops. honestly. she so thought that john was the robber, and she wouldnt believe that he was innocent. i just wanted to take her aside and give her a few words! heehee! but it really is a great hitchcock movie i dont mind watching. ;)

Message was edited by: butterscotchgreer

There's my gal! You know, I seriously considered "retiring" my monicker (MissGoddess) when I hit the 10,000 mark and coming back in under a new name. It was going to be, of course, HoneyBearKelly. :)

I never looked at that shot of Honey Bear and Mrs Nordley in quite that way before....very interesting.