Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There all Gorgoues..but

AvaG92260

Great shots from my #1 favorite Hitchcock movie.

Is it just me or why do I think Grace never looked better than when her hair got all tousled from...ummm, Cary. it's always so smooth and perfect it drives me a little nuts. Not like Ava, at all, her hair was always mussed. As "Maxine Faulk" she had two "hairdressers". :P

> {quote:title=laffite wrote:}{quote}

> The pictures of Ava in Mogambo are almost breathtaking. Grace probably never thought she ever had to play second fiddle to anyone (and she doesn't) but I wonder if it ever occurred to her how dangerous it might be to appear on the same screen with Ava. I haven't seen the movie but from those pictures it appears that Ava could upstage Grace in a trice. It doesn't help either that Grace was the ice princess versus the down-to-earth sexuality of Ava. I'll have to look for this one when it comes up again on TCM. Ava, wow!

Bonjour, Lafitte---Grace was not quite the huge star she was poised to become when Ford cast her in Mogambo so appearing in this major picture was an important step. And contrary to her icy demeanor, she was by all accounts a warm and down-to-earth lady who became great pals with Ava off screen--as well as with Gable. ;)

Et Bonjour a vous ... la Deese de dix mille posterinos

(Ouch, French looks terrible without the accent marks. I don't suppose there's a way ... nah)

Well that explains it then. Had she been more established maybe she would have had second thoughts about appearing with Ava. Probably not, I'm being a little silly here. Quand meme, Ava est tres sexy, n'est-ce pas? Thanks for the info. I'll watch for this when it comes up.

Jean Laffite, (pirate extraordinare, mais qui ne sait rien de cinema, quel dommage!)

Hey, Triple H -- Mogambo, Boom Town, China Seas, Wife vs Secretary are the ones I want to see on the set - have you seen these?

I have only seen Mogambo. Mrs. Gable and ButterscotchGable have probably seen all of them. The sweet one likes the trashy romance films but the sour one has a broader reach.

Please just HHH or Game is a-ok by the way

Are you sure you don't want to don that sweater again? :) No problem.

Hi, Laffite -- The pictures of Ava in Mogambo are almost breathtaking.

It's just a shame that the print isn't better. Like The Quiet Man DVD, the picture quality is on the "hazy" side. It's terribly disappointing.

I haven't seen the movie but from those pictures it appears that Ava could upstage Grace in a trice. It doesn't help either that Grace was the ice princess versus the down-to-earth sexuality of Ava. I'll have to look for this one when it comes up again on TCM. Ava, wow!

Ava upstages Grace but I say this based on the characters they play. I think Grace does a good job as the frosty "Linda Nordley."

Hiya, Trashy Film Fan -- i didnt mind grace's charater as francie as much here, but she was weird to me, who would even want to give up their love to the cops. honestly. she so thought that john was the robber, and she wouldnt believe that he was innocent. i just wanted to take her aside and give her a few words!

Francie is just a stubbornly foolish blonde, that's all. She just needs to be shown the way.

Ciao, Honey B -- You know, I seriously considered "retiring" my monicker (MissGoddess) when I hit the 10,000 mark and coming back in under a new name. It was going to be, of course, HoneyBearKelly.

That would have been terrible! There's no more perfect screen name than "Miss Goddess." Okay, Persnippety, the goddess of snippiness, is slightly better. :P

I never looked at that shot of Honey Bear and Mrs Nordley in quite that way before....very interesting.

:D Besides the obvious, I also like how YOUR "Honey Bear" is "naked" and Linda is covered by a table. She's an honest woman whereas Linda is not. The irony is that "Honey Bear" tries and tries to lie to herself about her feelings for Vic. She fights her heart out of fear of being hurt.

Great shots from my #1 favorite Hitchcock movie.

;)

Is it just me or why do I think Grace never looked better than when her hair got all tousled from...ummm, Cary.

:D Well, you know that I like girls with relaxed hair, and mussed hair is even better.

it's always so smooth and perfect it drives me a little nuts.

I just love Grace's hair. It always looks so natural to me.

Not like Ava, at all, her hair was always mussed.

I like Ava's hair, too. She definitely knew how to kick her feet up and relax. ;)

As "Maxine Faulk" she had two "hairdressers". :P

So how many hairdressers do you have? :P

mogambo8.jpg

mogambo9.jpg

mogambo10.jpg

mogambo11.jpg

mogambo12.jpg

mogambo13.jpg

mogambo14.jpg

mogambo15.jpg

mogambo16.jpg

mogambo17.jpg

mogambo18.jpg

mogambo19.jpg

mogambo20.jpg

mogambo21.jpg

mogambo22.jpg

mogambo23.jpg

mogambo24.jpg

mogambo25.jpg

mogambo26.jpg

mogambo27.jpg

"Gloria is just different than all the rest. She's not as gorgeous as Grace Kelly or Gene Tierney and she's not as sexy as Ava, yet she just moves me like no other."

Yes I'm quoting you again Frank becuz I'm re-visiting "The Cobweb" so I can give my thoughts on Double G in the slew of films TCM is showing featuring Gloria Grahame. In a scene with Boyer, she walks out to the veranda to enlist his help with Lillian Gish. She is very sultry and feline. She stops so he can put her wrap around her shoulders. She slightly leans into him. He takes her in with his eyes. He thinks he's working his Continental charms on her. Uh...nope. She's totally working him.

Yep FrankieG., there's something about Gloria.

"You're turning into the original African hotrod." If James M. Cain wrote that, he should get an award. That line never fails to break me up! My other favorite is when she's talking to Mrs Nordley and tells her "he's no Sir Gallahad who loves from afar---he's a two-legged boa constrictor!" :P I think I'll visit Africa.

I think the caps you posted are beautiful and not hazy at all. The green of her sweater is so vibrant and picks up her eyes! It's not a bad print on the dvd, it just isn't pristine and this movie deserves to be. I don't have much hope, though. :(

I have only seen Mogambo. Mrs. Gable and ButterscotchGable have probably seen all of them. The sweet one likes the trashy romance films but the sour one has a broader reach.

well i have seen all of those, but that doesnt mean i like trashy romance films.....does it look like i ONLY watch romance films? if they are the ONLY things i watch, then i wouldnt have seen all those others in the first place thank you very much mr. dutchman!....and my romantics are not trashy! compare here: boogie nights....pride and prejudice. do you see the difference? im not the one watching the trashy ones honey boy!

Francie is just a stubbornly foolish blonde, that's all. She just needs to be shown the way.

and i bet you are just the one to show her right? heehee!

boogie nights....pride and prejudice. do you see the difference?

I'm afraid you just laid yourself wide open for the flying dutchman, T. He probably thinks P&P compares UNfavorably to the earlier piece of tr...movie.

I'm afraid you just laid yourself wide open for the flying dutchman, T. He probably thinks P&P compares UNfavorably to the earlier piece of tr...movie.

woopsy daisies! heehee! i know i did, but seriously, trashiness comparing those two movies isnt hard. i ca ntell you without blinking which the trashy one is. ;)

Hey there, Lively Gal -- Yes I'm quoting you again Frank becuz I'm re-visiting "The Cobweb" so I can give my thoughts on Double G in the slew of films TCM is showing featuring Gloria Grahame.

I still have to watch The Cobweb. I'm very interested in watching A Woman's Secret and I've decided I'm going to get The Bad and The Beautiful on DVD. You'll know I've lost my mind if I get Oklahoma! on DVD.

In a scene with Boyer, she walks out to the veranda to enlist his help with Lillian Gish. She is very sultry and feline. She stops so he can put her wrap around her shoulders. She slightly leans into him. He takes her in with his eyes. He thinks he's working his Continental charms on her. Uh...nope. She's totally working him.

Oooohh, I like how you paint, T. "He takes her in with her eyes." Whoa! By the way, I know all about the "she's totally working him" bit. ;)

Yep FrankieG., there's something about Gloria.

I'm glad you think that, too, CM. You have a very good feel for such things. Gloria speaks a language that I hear loud and clear.

Bonjour, Miss Safari -- "You're turning into the original African hotrod." If James M. Cain wrote that, he should get an award. That line never fails to break me up! My other favorite is when she's talking to Mrs Nordley and tells her "he's no Sir Gallahad who loves from afar---he's a two-legged boa constrictor!" :P I think I'll visit Africa.

Big game hunting, are we?

I think the caps you posted are beautiful and not hazy at all. The green of her sweater is so vibrant and picks up her eyes! It's not a bad print on the dvd, it just isn't pristine and this movie deserves to be.

I think the DVD image is on the cloudy side. It's not as muddy as The Quiet Man DVD is, but it's still a little too blurry for my tastes. Ava and Grace would jump off the screen if the image were better, ala Grace in To Catch a Thief.

Ciao, Trashy T -- well i have seen all of those, but that doesnt mean i like trashy romance films.....does it look like i ONLY watch romance films? if they are the ONLY things i watch, then i wouldnt have seen all those others in the first place thank you very much mr. dutchman!

I think you have seen every classic film, Sweet T. The thing is, your tastes are geared towards trashy films (sappy romance), so I'm not sure if your tastes are going to match up with Triple-H's. Although, I think Triple-H has a softer soft side than me.

and my romantics are not trashy!

Indeed, they are!

compare here: boogie nights....pride and prejudice. do you see the difference? im not the one watching the trashy ones honey boy!

I haven't watched Boogie Nights yet. I'm sure you'd love it, though. I hear it's got a lot of "romance" in it. :PThere Will Be Blood came out on DVD today, too.

and i bet you are just the one to show her right? heehee!

Me? She'd run right over me. I'm a total pushover.

bigheat1.jpg

bigheat2.jpg

Here's Gloria in her playroom...

bigheat3.jpg

The following were more than just a "pretty face"...

Ingrid Bergman - a down-to-earth very talented actress who put the "R" in Romance.

Deborha Kerr - one of the most talented actresses to never win an Oscar.

Greer Garson - talented & lovely with a delightful naughty streak.

Greta Garbo - the "divine" one.

Marlene Dietrich - the "mysterious" one and I love her wicked singing.

Olivia de Havilland - could play it sweet and sassy or cold and snappy.

Ava Gardner - wasn't really a fan untiI saw her GORGEOUS and GLOWING performance in Mogambo. She literally knocked Grace Kelly right off the screen.

Ginger Rogers - she put the YEAH BABY in the dance scenes, opposite, Fred Astaire.

laffite,

A very good point u have there about Grace and Ava on the screen together....but i think actually Grace was perfect for HER part...but its very hard whomever the woman is to be on screen with Ava....i mean Gregory Peck said that about her...it didnt matter who was in the scene when they were togethere doing there scenes in Killamangaro (great movie) u just knew that the audience was looking at Ava..lol...u just knew it....heehee

Now heres a little trivia for u about Clark Gable and his costar...not Ava..But yes Grace Kelly...They actually fell in love on this movie and thats when there love affair started and ended as well...lol..very breif but Clark was Mad about her...not Ava....lol..so go figure...

ty yall! ;-)

AvaG

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Laffite,

i dont know what happened to the rest of my thread..the beggining of it..lol...Anyway it started out saying very good point about Grace and Ava on screen together...but in all fairness to Grace she was perfect for the role...but yes when anyone was on screen wioth Ava it would be very hard for them to not be upstaged by her....i think Gregory Peck said it well.....when they were working on Kilamanjaro...he KNEW that no matter who was in the scene when they were doing a scene he knew that the audience was looking at Ava..lol..he knew it....heeheee..

Dang that was the beggining of my thread..then the trivia should have come after...lol..

Anyway there ya go..lol

AvaG

I think you have seen every classic film, Sweet T. The thing is, your tastes are geared towards trashy films (sappy romance), so I'm not sure if your tastes are going to match up with Triple-H's. Although, I think Triple-H has a softer soft side than me.

well not every classic film, but thats what im striving for! heehee! i dont lean toward trashy romance.....just sappy romance!

triple H is sweet, he wouldnt pick on my taste. heehee!

and my romantics are not trashy!

Indeed, they are!

since we drowned you in chocolate, and you came back to haunt us, the chocolate went to your head! heehee!

I haven't watched Boogie Nights yet. I'm sure you'd love it, though. I hear it's got a lot of "romance" in it. There Will Be Blood came out on DVD today, too.

"romance" is it isnt it.....in quotation marks. goodness, i would never watch that. there will be blood is a bad influence on me especially! heehee!

Me? She'd run right over me. I'm a total pushover.

yeah thats probably right. heehee! you are a totally softy. heehee! you know you are!

i like that scene where gloria is on the phone! i would like to make a dress just like that. i think it would look pretty in green. heehee!

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> grandmama watched Lone Star with me yesterday. i love hits movie and it shows off the chemistry between ava and clark. ava looks ravishing in color!

>

> LoneStar1952.jpg

YUMMY !! I enjoy *Lone Star* and wish they'd restore the print for a nice dvd release. Ava is exceptionally beautiful in those waist-cinching dresses. She also did another western around the same time I like with Robert Taylor called Ride, Vacquero!.

• 3 months later...

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> i personally didnt like robert in The Women too much, but i did like his character in Westward.

Hi butterscotchling---you've got me confused...Taylor wasn't in *The Women* (no man was!),

he was in Westward, The Women. ;)