Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite James Cagney Movies

"EACH DAWN I DIE" . I love him in that film. Yeah, Cody was great and monstrous. But I loved him. I loved his rant after he was let out of the hole.

The very last scene of Cagney's in that movie was great; just him breathing the air as a free man was worth the whole picture.

I love all James Cagney movies (I am a Cagney fan-atic!), but some of my favorites I can watch over and over: The Public Enemy, Lady Killer, Jimmy The Gent, Great Guy, Each Dawn I Die, Angels With Dirty Faces, City for Conquest, The Strawberry Blonde, The Fighting 69th,Yankee Doodle Dandy, and The Time of Your Life.

I hope TCM will remember Jim on March 20th ( the anniversary of his passing) with some of his films. He was a great talent and a wonderful man; he left the world a much better place.

Cagney was great. I enjoy most of his movies. But my personal favorite is Angels With Dirty Faces. Great story. Great acting. One of the best endings of any movie I've seen. I never could figure out in my own mind: Did Rocky really wimp out just before his execution? Or did he put on an act, as his best friend, the Priest, begged him to do to discourage the Dead End Kids from idolizing a mobster/killer?

I love it.

Cagney rocks!!! Wow, where to begin!!!

I love him in:

THE PUBLIC ENEMY

LADY KILLER

BLONDE CRAZY

PICTURE SNATCHER

JIMMY THE GENT

WINNER TAKE ALL

G-MEN

EACH DAWN I DIE

THE ROARING TWENTIES

THE MAYOR OF HELL

FOOTLIGHT PARADE

WHITE HEAT

KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE

TAXI!

THE ST. LOUIS KID

What an actor! Was great to see him so much in January, it was heaven! Now, it's time for Eddie G. Robinson to have a month again soon, please?? :)

Randy

ABSOLUTLY! Thats the pic i was going to say is one of my faaavs of Cagney..as well as a great dramatic part for Doris Day...Love me or leave me..as well for me is him in Yankee Doodle Dandy..the scene where his father is dieing and hes by his bed..great stuff!

Ava

Thank you. I will definitely look for it. It will be neat to see Cagney and Doris spit nails at each other. Did you know that Jane Russell was originally offered Doris' part in LMOLM?? She turned it down because she was "promised' the lead in I'll Cry Tomorrow. The winds changed and Jane didn't get that either. Could you imagine Jane Russell opposite Cagney?? I bet Jane would've thought she'd died and gone to heaven. At least Jane got to work with Gable that year in The Tall Men and she said Clark was a doll to work with. I love Jane, btw.

I love the adorably silly FOOTLIGHT PARADE. ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES is fine. And I recently saw THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE for the first time! But WHITE HEAT is the guage by which all Cagney films are measured. Exciting, dramatic, beautifully written. One of the great crime stories of all time.