Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Claudette Colbert fans

mark83

What I love about Claudette Colbert is how versatile she was. She could play any role. In 1934 alone she starred in Cleopatra, It Happened One Night and Imitation Of Life. Each one of these three movies was totally different yet she was magnificent in all of them.

One of my favorites outside the standards is "Three Came Home." It allows her to get dirty and messy and play a different kind of part. She is held in a Japanese POW camp where she builds a relationship with Sessue Hayakawa because he is familiar with the book she has written.

She's fun in "Without Reservations" where she also plays an author and with John Wayne.

Message was edited by: Me

Hi Mark,,

i loooove Claudette Corbert..a great actress! My personal fav movie or on of em..lol...of course had to be "It Happened On e Night" Her and Clark Cable..FANTASTIC! Looved them great movie!!

Glad to know there are other fans as well who appreciate this fine actress

Ava

Absolutely...she was great in anything she did, even if the film wasn't too good. There's a good one coming to TCM this month...THREE CAME HOME. And who can forget the milkbath scene in Cleopatra?

She had a very compelling quality about her...any role she took on was authentic. She never seemed to be "acting".

Claudette Colbert is one of my favorites. I like her in every movie I've seen her in. She was unique. She had a special quality. I especially like the movies she made with Fred MacMurray. Together, I think they are among Hollywood's great "teams". They had screen "chemistry". "No Time For Love", "Family Honeymoon", "The Egg and I" - great movies.

• 6 years later...

Last night, I was fortunate to watch the 1950 b&w film THREE CAME HOME, with a wonderful performance by Claudette Colbert, and beautifully directed by Jean Negulesco. Cinematography was by William H. Daniels and by Milton R. Krasner. I had never seen this before, or, if I had, I was much too young to appreciate it. I think it's a Classic Film.

What I first noticed is that there are no 'old timers' members that have posted yet at this thread.    I wonder if there was some type of external link that caused people to post here?   

Claudette Colbert is a somewhat unique actress as it relates to this forum and how many users feel about her.    She clearly was one of the biggest stars during her era.   She was versatile in comedy and drama (except in Film Noir or gritty crime dramas).

As for her looks?  Well she always gave me a 'my friend's mom' type of vibe.  A fairly nice looking mom but still a women that wasn't someone that generated any type of sexual vibe.   (well except in Cleopatra).    Some of that has to do with her hairstyle and the conservative clothing she wore (expect that black dress in The Palm Beach Story). 

When I rate my favorite actress I often ignore Claudette.  But when I go back and check my listing,  I feel that isn't right.   Claudette was in many great movies (Midnight being one of my favorites).  Why do I ignore her?     She should get more love from me!

So here is a toast to Claudette and expanding one's horizons.   

She is one of my favorites, and ranks with the likes of Myrna Loy, in my book.  I have always been captivated by her wit, intelligence, mannerisms, beauty, and charm on screen (and no doubt in real life).  

I enjoyed her day, and was fascinated by her last (big screen) movie, Parrish, which I'd never seen.  I wasn't going to stay up for it, but loved the melodrama, uneven acting, over the top-ness of it all.  Claudette was perfect, as usual, though should have had more screen time.  A very special actress.

Absolutely...she was great in anything she did, even if the film wasn't too good. There's a good one coming to TCM this month...THREE CAME HOME. And who can forget the milkbath scene in Cleopatra?

She had a very compelling quality about her...any role she took on was authentic. She never seemed to be "acting".

The stunning milkbath scene was in THE SIGN OF THE CROSS. And for me, Colbert was the most alluring Cleopatra ever. Both great films, with C.C. perfectly cast.

I really enjoy Claudette Colbert.  I, too, need to see more of her work.  I really liked her in The Palm Beach Story, It Happened One Night and The Egg and I.  Right now in fact, I am watching Tomorrow is Forever.  When I see her films in the Now Playing guide, I make a point of recording them and consider her one of my favorites.  However, when I list my favorite actresses, Colbert's name doesn't immediately come to mind.  I don't know why.  Myrna Loy's name immediately pops into my head and Loy and Colbert play similar characters-- except I think Loy might have an advantage when it comes to sex appeal. 

I am definitely going to make a conscientious effort to see more of Colbert's work.  She's an excellent actress and stars in a variety of different genres that appeal to me.  She also has an excellent collection of leading men which also makes her films appealing.  I especially enjoy her collaborations with Fred MacMurray. 

I love Claudette Colbert! While I do need to see more of her films, I do love her. Very versatile. 

I love her too. She was so beautiful and desirable in so many of her early films, and then still beautiful and desirable in many of her middle-aged films too. :)

I love her too. She was so beautiful and desirable in so many of her early films, and then still beautiful and desirable in many of her middle-aged films too. :)

I want to see her comedies with Fred MacMurray and Drums Along The Mohawk. I have seen her precode and mid-thirties work, and Since You Went Away. 

Archived