Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GRAND HOTEL ON DVD!!!!

moviejoe79

I was thrilled to find out today that the all-star landmark classic "Grand Hotel" will be released on DVD in February. From M.G.M. in 1932, this is one of the greatest ensemble movies ever produced. It stars Greta Garbo, both John and Lionel Barrymore, Joan Crawford, Wallace Beery, and Lewis Stone among others. Personally I've been waiting a long time to see it on DVD, and it's about time. Hopefully "Dinner at Eight" another great ensemble movie that just reeks of 30's class and style gets released as well.

Along with "Grand Hotel" there are some other movies that are being released onto DVD that are worth mentioning. "Mutiny on the Bounty" from 1935 starring Clark Gable and Charles Laughton, "The Great Ziegfeld" from 1936 starring William Powell and Luise Rainer, "Mrs. Miniver" with Greer Garson, and "Gaslight" starring Charles Boyer and Ingrid Bergman. All are being released by Warners who has released many of the classics owned by Turner.

And still some other titles that are coming within the next few months are "It Should Happen to You" with Judy Holliday, Jack Lemmon (his first movie), and Peter Lawford. This is a personal favorite of mine, and I HIGHLY recommend it. There is a double feature DVD coming out with both the 1934 and 1957 versions of "Imitation of Life" starring Claudette Colbert in the original and Lana Turner in the remake.

And for all you silent fans, Kino (God bless 'em) are releasing "The Douglas Fairbanks Collection" with six of his classics.

Just thought I'd let you guys know, because I for one am thrilled at being able to have a nice, clean copy of "Grand Hotel" which hopefully will look great on DVD. After seeing how great "Casablanca" looks on DVD, I'm always eager to see more classics get the DVD treatment.

Oh. My. God! I'm absolutely speechless, Movie Joe, over this incredible news about one of my all-time favorites, "Grand Hotel" FINALLY getting the DVD treatment! Lord, do I hope that it'll have some extras--like either a lot of stuff on that incredible cast, maybe even the TCM documentary on both Garbo and Crawford. I don't think anyone is left alive who was in this legendary film. And all those other classic goodies you mentioned has made my day! Now, if we could only get some hotshot DVD mogul to consider putting David Selznick's classics on DVD with sumptuous extras--and that includes that horrible, bare-bones edition of the greatest movie ever made: GWTW!

I agree with you, the bare-bones DVDs are just not worth it. Why would they even release GONE WITH THE WIND without some DVD extras? Since I have many classics already on video (or taped off of TCM), I want something special on a DVD. The DVD of CASABLANCA has a ton of extras, including two documentaries, two audio commentaries, and much more. THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, YANKEE DOODLE DANDY, THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, TROUBLE IN PARADISE, some CHAPLIN classics, DISNEY animated & live-action (from the 1950s & 60s) are other recent DVDs with many wonderful extras. Some of my favorites are the UNIVERSAL horror series (each one included a making-of documentary & audio commentary), which I read are no longer available.

I, too, love my Universal Horror DVDs and watch them over and over again. My only complaint about the double-featured scary treats released a year or two ago from Universal is that none contained anything extra--except for a trailer and bios written in text. The first batch--"The Mummy," "The Wolfman" etc.-- spoiled me in expecting all the Universal thrillers to have such lavish extras.

I haven't been able to find any of the Universal Horror DVD's. The only one I have is "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" which is great, but I'd love to see more from Abbott and Costello, and the horror ones again. Especially "The Black Cat" with Lugosi and Karloff.

• 4 weeks later...

I'M ****!!!!!!!! I went into Best Buy yesterday to buy Grand Hotel, and they didn't have it! To make matters worse, they said that no store currently has it, even though it was "released" yesterday. All of the other classics that Warners released yesterday were in the store, except Grand Hotel. I don't get it. Did anyone else encounter this problem, or am I the only fanatic who attempted to buy it the first day it was "supposedly" out?

Hi moviejo you can relax i can solve your problem TCM

shop movies unlimited has the "Grand Hotel" film on DVD.

just at the top of the page click shopping next to

movie news, then click new releases and there's

"Grand Hotel" on DVD on sale $14.99 plus shipping and handling of course !.....TCM to the rescue have a great

day.......

moviejo you talked me into it just got my copy at the TCM shop $14.99 on sale plus $6.00 shipping and handling

the total was $20.99 i think it was better than best buy with no hassels thanks tcm!!!...... Better get your copy

moviejo before with this ad there's a run on the store!... also thanks to movies unlimited !..........

HAVE A GREAT MOVIE DAY EVERYONE !........................

MovieJoe, I have the identical problem at my corner BestBuy--which opened to great fanfare six months ago on East 86th Street, NYC--and they get almost none of the classic DVDs. I found one copy of "Yankee Doodle Dandy" and only one copy of "They Drive By Night." The sales clerk asked me if this was a racing movie. They have a million copies of Lord of the Rings and Girls Go Wild. Our of curiosity, I asked the sales clerk: "Do you have Dinner at Eight?" He said "No, I have it at six."

Very funny Patypancake - That's ridiculous that your Best Buy has almost no classics. Honestly the ones that I've gone to have a decent selection of the classics, but unfortunately they don't have a clue when it comes to "Grand Hotel"!!! Tower Records has always been a good source for classics, but they charge more than anyone for their DVD's. My best source has always been DeepDiscountDVD.com, where the DVD's are not only cheaper, but there's no tax and free shipping. I should've ordered "Grand Hotel" from them, but I wanted to HAVE it the first day, and not wait for it to come in the mail. But, I think I'll go on over to their site and order it now, because BEST BUY BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!

I pre-ordered my Grand Hotel DVD from www.dvdempire.com. It arrived 2/3. It's a fine DVD. The transfer is pretty good, the extras are fine. Maybe the making of documentary could have been a little longer; it's only 11 minutes. The Vitaphone short spoofing Grand Hotel was a hoot!

I've also watched the Mutiny on the Bounty DVD. Another fine transfer, but this DVD is in need of more extras. An audio commentary on the film would have been nice; they put one on the 1932 version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde after all!

I would also like to chime in on how GREAT the "Grand Hotel" DVD is. I got my copy in Costco of all places, and for only $12.99, which is great.

The print looks good, and the features are terrific. There's a whole short devoted to the premiere of the film, which showcases all of the stars who attended, among them Norma Shearer and Clark Gable, and the legendary Anita Page! It looks like this short was restored along with the film, because it looked pretty sharp. And the spoof short that Warner Bros. did on the movie is very funny. All in all it's a great DVD, and I urge EVERYONE to get a copy.

I will never stop being amazed by the incredible black and white photography in "Grand Hotel." Every shot is brilliant - beautifully lit and well done. In the "making of" doc. they said that is cost $700,000 to make the movie in 1932, which translates into $80 million by today's standards. It was well worth it, and I hope everyone who has a DVD player will go out and buy this great movie.

Hoorah! tickled to hear the great news about "Grand Hotel" alive once more on DVD, Marshall and Movie Joe! I'm getting my copy about Thursday from Amazon.com, along with "The Best of Abbott and Costello"--this is one disc that has EIGHT of the couple's first movies! My old tape of "Grand Hotel" has nearly worn down to a shadow show. There can never be enough extras or "behind the scenes' footage about "Grand Hotel." Would love to have been a fly on the wall during the filming. Now, let's start pushing for "Dinner at Eight" on the silvery disc!

"Dinner At eight"- ON THE SIVERY DISC PLEASE !.........

TO THOSE WHO HAVE TRIED YOU CAN'T GET THE VHS COPY ANYMORE! GOT AN USED COPY AT amazon.com to me a used

copy is better than no copy at all folks!

Tcm will show march 7, 8:00 A.M. YOU MUST TAPE IT PEOPLE

OR WAIT TIL IT COMES OUT ON DVD! I checked MGM website

and its not coming out any time soon! Maybe if enough people request it it will happen i hope MGM reads this....

PATY,

The TCM documentary on Joan Crawford, "The Ultimate Movie Star", is included as bonus on the "Mildred Pierce"(1945) DVD edition....I Had it taped, and bought the dvd mostly because of the documentary....Also, the TCM documentary on Lana Turner "Lana Turner...Daughter's Memoir" is included as bonus on the DVD Release of "The Bad and The Beautiful"(1952)...both released by Warner Home Video...

Also, if you're interested...Fox Studio Classics' DVD editions of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" and "The Mark of Zorro", have as bonuses, the A&E Biographies of Rex Harrison and Tyrone Power, respectively...

I Hope that when Fox finally releases, "Laura" (1944) on DVD (long awaited!!!!)...it'll bring sth on Gene Tierney,,,,just as I hope that the future "Camille"(1936) DVD release will bring as bonus TCM's Garbo biography..... there are also TCM's or TNT's documentaries on Jean Harlow, Myrna Loy, and others....that I don't believe have been inlcuded on any dvd releases....

On the recently released "The Postman Always Rings Twice" DVD, the John Garfield documentary that TCM did is included. It's great to have these well done documentaries included with such great titles! It's like getting two movies for the price of one! Now let's see 'em release a good pre-code with that "Complicated Women" documentary on it - that would be the best! And I will forever be waiting for a collector's set of ALL of Fred and Ginger's movies on it - whoever has the power to make that happen SHOULD make it happen - I could watch their movies forever and never get sick of them - and it would be great to go straight to a chapter that has one of their great numbers on it, instead of f'ing with the fast forward on the VCR! I get so aggrevated!

Yeaaaa, Movie Joe, I'm with you about getting those great Ginger Rogers/Astaire musicals on DVD. I've mentioned this a million times but I'm still waiting for the first Betty Grable musical to appear on the disc. And--don't forget, Deanna Durbin's wonderfully produced musicals. By the way, I received my "Best of Abbott & Costello" DVD--that has a staggering EIGHT movies on one disc! I'm gonna curl up this wintry, cold weekend here in NYC and watch'em all! Especially, "Hold that Ghost," "Buck Privates" and "Keep'em Flying" with the great Martha Raye belting out "Pig Foot Pete"!