Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kimpunkrock

1994- the year TCM was born.

Did you know that one of the head programmers has been with the Turner library of classic films since way before TCM even came on the air. He has been with the library of films since Ted Turner purchased them. He even moved to Atlanta with them to work for the channel. There are so many interesting and awesome people that work for TCM. If everyone got to know who was in charge of the channel and who works there, then no one would ever have any doubts about the future of TCM.

What were you doing in 1994 when the channel started? I was living in CT after having to move back there from NYC. I was very depressed. But then TCM came on the air, I was stoked. I spent many, many nights and days watching the channel and painting, writing or drawing. It definitely saved me from serious depression back then.

I recently found a picture of me from that year. I look great and the jacket I am wearing is actually in the TCM fanatic piece. It was my grandfather's jacket from world war two. I am posting that picture for all to enjoy.

Kimpunkrock-1994

If TCM started posting profiles of their employees on this website-along with that employees film pick of the month- would everyone be interested in reading them? I know I would be. If I had not all ready met many of them, I would definitely want to know about who works there. I am looking for feedback about this.

thanks

kpr

Hi, _kimpunkrock_.

What a cute picture! :)

Yes, I'd be *very* interested in having TCM employees posting on the boards. I always look for names with TCM in them--like _tcmprogrammr_ and _TCMWebAdmin_. The place just seems safer and nicer when they're around. More interaction with TCM staff would be both reassuring and fun. Great idea!

P.S. Well, I went over this again, and I probably read more into it than you were suggesting. I really want TCM staff to be more of a presence on the boards --not just on the website, nice as that would be. A possibility?

Message was edited by: cascabel

yes, kimpunkrock, I would love to see the pictures and profiles of the original employees,

Did you know you and I have the same hobbies, whereever I go,I carry a sketchpad and my

desk is full of sci/fi stories I write in my spare time...Oh well...

sweet thanks for sharing that with me rainingviolets. I really want to see profiles of everyone too.

Do you have a myspace page?

Mine is www.myspace.com/kimpunkrock

cheers

-

kpr

"If TCM started posting profiles of their employees on this website - - would everyone be interested in reading them?" - KPR

Well, at the site with that now notorious magazine article, there are headshots for each of the TCM Department heads profiled in the article. The thumbnails of the photos do link to larger versions.

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/the_moviegoer/Content?oid=416029

And in the recent past, the website has included an article by Robert Osborne each month listing his "Must -See" films on that month's schedule. Sadly, his recommendations for March haven't been posted yet.

Also, would I be wrong to think that some of the posters at the TCMBlog Movie Morlocks are actually TCM staffers? I have assumed that some of the writers at that site work for TCM.

Kyle In Hollywood

Why was that article notorious?

I am in that article too. I am stoked about it.

Well you know so what that it is in that blog. I am talking about this website.

This website is where those profiles are needed.

Actually I think that the movie morlock blog writers are freelanced, at least that is what I was told and so what if some of them work there-does that mean that they cant do profiles on the website?

Whats wrong Kyle? Are you mad about something. I could be wrong but I got an angry vibe.

-

kim

"Why was that article notorious?" - KPR

No ill-will intended in that statement or in the rest of my post. Just acknowledging that that article has generated a lot of discussion in these parts - some of it quite "lively".

I was only posting some readily available info for readers that may be more interested in learning more about the staff of TCM

And I could be very wrong about the writers at Movie Morlocks. It comes from an assumption that most "blogs" for corporate sites are manned by staffers or other personalities that work for the company. I know that isn't true for ALL the writers there (Hi Mark and Moira!) but I thought it applied to one or two of them.

So, I'm not angry about anything, my friend. I was just trying to be helpful. I am kinda beat tonight - so much so that I'd say I was too tired to even give off a "vibe".

Kyle In Hollywood

I am sorry Kyle. I guess I could pick up your off vibe and I though something was wrong.

I am sorry. We must be connected because I did pick up on a very different vibe than I ever had before. Hope everything is ok my friend.

kim

<

This is a wonderful idea Kim! I would be very interested to learn about the people who make TCM great.

I can relate to what you say about TCM getting you through tough times. Classic films have always been my solace. It is comforting to know that this channel exits for me anytime of the day or night.

My three maternal uncles served during WWII in the Army, Navy, and Marines. My mother's family album contains many photographs of them in their uniforms. You look great in your Grandfathers jacket.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I wish my grandfathers jacket still fit me. I cannot even believe it fit me back in 94. It is so small. It is funny how people back then were not as big as now. They ate better because there were not fast food junk places everywhere and 50,000 types of chips and cookies to make us fat. Even in Europe there is not as many chips and junk food to choose from in their grocery stores. Us Americans really are pigs. No offense meant to anyone, I am over-weight too. America's eating habits are disgusting.

<>

You are very welcome. I understand what you are saying about the eating habits of today. After my father passed away I started wearing his coat. It comes down to my ankles and is a tweed grey. One day while wearing it, I walked into my neighbors home only to hear her say "Gee, you father was a small man." I asked her to clarifiy and she said she meant in stature. After thinking it over he really wasn't. It was just as you say, back then there wasn't all this junk food everywhere. People snacked on fruit and ate vegetables daily. There was the occasional soda pop and ice cream that really was "all natural."

So much for progress.