Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gloria Grahame a complete package

Okay, tell me some good Gloria's!

I have seen a few, but not too many. She has never been a favorite, but I decided to pop in on one of the fan boards and ask about a person I didn't particularly know about or like...to learn more. It was either this or Coop, well actually or Hedy too (but she was voted out fast!). I am happy to announce Gloria won.

To the Coop girls: Don't kill me. I have already seen many, many, many of Gary's films! But the weird eye make-up is freaking me out... ;-)

Wow, I have actually made quite a few enemies with this post considering the overwhelming support for Cooper and Hedy! GG fans, protect me...please! LOL!

You mean you're gonna make me read all 28 pages?

Hmm? Maybe I will transfer over to Gary after all.

No, actually I would love to learn about her! If I must I will start at the beginning. But right now I would love to know some of her better roles, so I could try and get them at my library! She seems actually pretty good...from the few films I've seen her in! I am quite serious about this...although it may seem to the contrary!

> {quote:title=ILoveRayMilland wrote:}{quote}

>

> To the Coop girls: Don't kill me. I have already seen many, many, many of Gary's films! But the weird eye make-up is freaking me out... ;-)

>

Ha haaaa!! No need to fear for your skin, we're the meekest, mildest bunch on the ranch. ;)

Oh, and I recommend his post-Max Factor movies (1940s on) so you won't be so freaked out. :D

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

*No, actually I would love to learn about her! If I must I will start at the beginning. But right now I would love to know some of her better roles, so I could try and get them at my library! She seems actually pretty good...from the few films I've seen her in! I am quite serious about this...although it may seem to the contrary!*

Well, which ones have you already seen? :)

Hi CineMaven,

Thanks for posting that. Jackie is one of the best writers on the board. It's a great description of the Powell/Grahame relationship. I think Grahame had a knack for playing screwball characters that comes out in a few of her films such as *A Woman's Secret,* *Merton of the Movies,* and perhaps a little less restrained as Ado Annie in *Oklahoma.* She's very dynamic in *The Bad and the Beautiful.*

Sorry to hear about your vcr woes. I had a similar problem and missed *The Shuttered Room* which is a disappointment because I like Carol Lynley (and some of the other cast) and had never seen it.

> You mean you're gonna make me read all 28 pages?

It's not that long. There are a lot of photos. Some of her films have been discussed in great depth on here others haven't been commented on as much.

>

> Hmm? Maybe I will transfer over to Gary after all.

No I think you may have burned that bridge. MissGoddess may be setting a trap. ;) You're safer here in Gloria land.

>

> No, actually I would love to learn about her! If I must I will start at the beginning. But right now I would love to know some of her better roles, so I could try and get them at my library! She seems actually pretty good...from the few films I've seen her in! I am quite serious about this...although it may seem to the contrary!

As FF said.

What films have you seen?

You might also consider In a Lonely Place, one of the few roles where she is actually the lead (alongside Bogie). Many of her roles are supporting or character roles. Not to say she is not fun to watch in the shorter appearances, the thing about Gloria is that she carries a certain impact (think: Crossfire ) though she might not have a lot of onscreen time. Hopefully some of the more advance Gloriaphiles around here will confirm that (or deny). OTOH, maybe this movie would be better to see later, as a main event, so to speak, in which case some of the shorter roles might be a better way to approach Gloria.

Hmmm? So I checked the library system online. They do have *"TBATB"* and *"The Big Heat"* . No *"In A Lonely Place"* though.

So then I searched through her name. Beside those they have, *"Crossfire"* , *"The Man Who Never Was"* , and all the one's I've already seen.

I put all four of those on hold, so they will probably be delivered within a week or two.

Try to catch In A Lonely Place when TCM shows it next. Gloria really holds her own against Bogart and Gloria made the film more palatable/enjoyable for me as i prefer Cagney, Raft, or Robinson to mr. bogart. Also check out The Cobweb, as i believe Gloria has a large role in it. And don't forget Not As A Stranger which GG is in with Mitchum, de Havilland, and Sinatra.

ILoveRayMilland wrote this 24 hours ago: "I have seen a few, but not too many. She has never been a favorite, but I decided to pop in on one of the fan boards and ask about a person I didn't particularly know about or like...to learn more. It was either this or Coop, well actually or Hedy too (but she was voted out fast!). I am happy to announce Gloria won."

I would take issue about Hedy Lamarr since I am a big fan of hers...but her beauty is such ( http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=106611&start=15&tstart=0 especially with the whip ) that I don't really want to share her so I don't care if anyone likes her anyway. But I had to sound the clarions for Gloria Grahame.

Way back on March 8, 2008 @ 1:07pm, MildredPierceFan made this post: "I am a huge fan of Gloria Grahame's. I'm not sure if there's another forum for her or not, nut anyhow, I just decided to start one. I was always a huge fan of hers because she could act, charm, have personality, and look gorgeous. There was something quirky about her that made her stand out. I'm not sure if it was her unconventional voice, her dry humor, or what. She is one of the criminally underrated film stars from the Golden Era of Hollywood..."

Well, ILRM...what you see below are a few Gloria Grahame fans making suggestions of what films of hers to see. And these are very good suggestions. These are also short-cuts...crib-notes if you will, of Gloria Grahame. Please take the time to read the thread (yes 28 pages...many consisting of photos of the Glorious Double G) while you're waiting for your library picks. I think it will help prepare you for the subtle, sensual, damaged, enigmatic, funny, haunting experience that is Gloria Grahame.

But let's not end here. If anyone else has something positive to add, come on aboard. Thanxx guys for coming to Gloria's defense. We've always found her worth it. That's why the thread was created.

Message was edited by: CineMaven--had to add the Hedy site.

Hmmm...let's take a Rorschach test here. What do you make of this scene?

In the Elvis Mitchell specials where he interviewed a variety of celebrities, the subtle voice-overs during Mitchell's show's opening credits come from the masseuse in the below picture. Some line about knowing who your friends are...

Does that ring a bell to you?

> Uh, well not too many. Which is pretty bad considering how many CLASSIC movies she was in.

>

> I have seen:

>

> *"It's A Wonderful Life"*

> *"Oklahoma"*

> *"Song Of The Thin Man"*

> *"The Greatest Show On The Earth"*

>

> I thinks that's all. I may have forgotten one or two.

If those are the only films of hers you have seen you have a lot of interesting Gloria films ahead of you. I would start with *Crossfire.* if possible. Gloria is only in two scenes but particularly that first one, well let's just say, for me, the legend begins here.

gloria1.jpg

GloriaGrahame.jpg

Message was edited by: molo14

Hi RayMilland,

I'm so glad you're taking an interest in Gloria's films. It's always nice to welcome a new member into our cult...er..I mean group. ;)

One of the things that CineMaven, myself and others have said before is that Gloria is rarely in the lead role but she always grabs your attention. She does so much, often with fairly little screen time. She is always memorable and films like *Crossfire*, *The Bad and the Beautiful* and *Macao* really prove that. She was nominated for a supporting Oscar for *Crossfire*. A film like *In A Lonely Place* where she has the female lead is a rare treat. If you read through the posts here from the beginning you'll see why this thread has endured. I hope you enjoy the films.

• 3 weeks later...

> No, darn it! My library "accidentally" canceled my order! (I've been wondering if maybe one of the Coop girls did this, because of what I said about Gary? LOL!) I have reordered all of them, but it may take a week or so.

Yes those Coop girls are a tricky bunch and very resourceful! ;)

Oh well. Hope you get them soon.