Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gloria Grahame a complete package

AAAAHHHH FINALLY AN OASIS!!

You have hit the nail on the thread when you refer to GLORIA GRAHAME as criminally underrated. I agree. She was a fine star...I daresay a great character actress. I'm reluctant to use that term 'lest it be seen as being "less than" the star; which by no means is the case.

A good number of her performances have been listed below by all of you. My two personal favorites are "In A Lonely Place" and "The Big Heat." In the latter, I love the scene where she spars with Jeanette Nolan. And of course the hot water in Lee Marvin's face. She elicits your sympathy. Her character is kind of tragic; you feel sorry for this girl who's mixed up with crooks, who's basically able to be thrown away when the man is tired of her. (Don't kill me if I bring up today's Jennifer Tilly as having that kind of persona). You've seen her type in 1950's movies. B-girls with minks and no future. You wish she had made better choices. You know she got used.

In "In A Lonely Place" she is not playing the hot sexpot that she is. She gives a quieter, subtler performance. Now yes, getting the rubdown by her Swedish masseuse is hot and lets our imagination run wild for what's under the sheets. But what we are ultimately watching is Grahame playing a woman whose trust and love for a man erodes to suspicion and fear...the death of any relationship. She's not a victim, she's capable.

Now I must admit, I prefer my Grahame with long hair. Looking at the pictures of her below my favorite is the last color shot of her. You'd have to be a real man to step up to the plate with her. Her look says "I DARE YOU!" A withering look of petulance and scorn.

May I join the bandwagon and say I love GLORIA GRAHAME.

Thank you for this thread. You've created a thread that elicited thoughtful mature responses. No "Yays or Nays." No Grahame vs. Russell. Folks quote and cite their sources. Grammatically and spelling correct so as to show respect for those who read our words. And selfless posts that are not self-aggrandizing and put the spotlight on you, but on the topic discussed. The discussion on this thread about Grahame reminds me of what I've been missing in my forays on the board in the last couple of weeks. No soap opera here. Plain unadulterated civil discussion. And look who brought it about. GLORIA GRAHAME.

Please sir/ma'am, can I have some more?

Hi, CineBaby! -- May I join the bandwagon and say I love GLORIA GRAHAME.

Jump in! The Double G water is always so very warm and soothing to the touch.

Loved your words about one of my faves.

But what we are ultimately watching is Grahame playing a woman whose trust and love for a man erodes to suspicion and fear...the death of any relationship. She's not a victim, she's capable.

I just watched In a Lonely Place for the very first time yesterday and I was very taken by it. Boy, is it ever psychologically complex. You're right about distrust and fear being at the heart of the film, but I actually believe fear of commitment sneaks in there, as well. I think Laurel (Double G) has her own problems. They are nowhere near as large and menacing as Dix's (Bogie), but I feel as if they are ever-so-subtlely present. I definitely feel for Laurel though, because the man who offers her security and peace of mind doesn't know how to love her and the man who knows how to love her can't offer her security (physical) and peace of mind. And you know it's the love she craves the most. I think most people do.

I thought Gloria's performance in In a Lonely Place to the best I have seen of hers to date. She's asked to match Bogie and she does a pretty decent job of doing so. She's also asked to wear different emotional masks and, again, I think she pulls it off. This is one of the few Gloria performances that I have seen where her range is challenged. She's calm and tough, adoring, soft and sweet, loving, worried, horrified, paranoid, frantic, and sad. This isn't the Gloria I am used to. She's a doll throughout. That's the Gloria I am used to. ;)

bigheat1.jpg

bigheat2.jpg

Hi, Bronx Blossom! -- I hope you know that I do think Gloria is an excellent, charismatic actress, and always holds the screen when she's on.

Are you groveling? This isn't like you. Just say you hate her and get on with it.

I'm playing with you, B.

You could tell me she's the worst actress in the world and I'd still love ya to death. The key word there being death. :D Gloria certainly isn't for all tastes, but she's for all my tastes. She really does move all of me.

By the way, I've been riddled with bullets by supposedly sweet girls around here while protecting the ice princess, Grace Kelly, so I'm kind of used to picking out buckshot. So if you are ever in the mood to fire some shots at me, go right ahead. But I know your weapon of choice is much sharper and more precise. ;)

gloria-towell.jpg

*Violet* in It's a Wonderful Life

violet.gif

With Charlton Heston in The Greatest Show on Earth

glochuck.jpg

Nicholas Ray directs his wife and Humphrey Bogart - In a Lonely Place

nickraydirectingbogiewifegloria.jpg

With husband Nicholas Ray

glorianickray.jpg

domesticgloriag.jpg

Good Day, Missy G! -- Now how am I to treat you nicely like I always do if

you are posting such radiant photos of Gorgeous Gloria? Those are scintilating!

That top photo is very "bedroom sexy." :D And the Human Desire sweater

pic is a big fave of mine. But I really love the pics with Nick, especially the last

one. It's very sweet, just as Gloria always is on the big screen. She was always

a sweet, darling little angel. :)

Thanks for posting those luminous photos of Double G. I surely appreciate it.

I NEVER GROVEL.

I mean what I say. I always notice her in any part she plays. (even in her minor part in THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, you remember her)

Just because I think she doesn't look conventionally beautiful does NOT mean I don't respect her as a fine actress, and if I didn't think so, I just wouldn't say anything at all!

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

I NEVER GROVEL. I mean what I say.

That's why I love that Bronxgirl! ;)

I always notice her in any part she plays. (even in her minor part in THE BAD AND

THE BEAUTIFUL, you remember her)

Gloria is usually quite noticeable, that's for darn sure. I actually haven't watched

The Bad and the Beautiful yet. I have it on tape, though.

Just because I think she doesn't look conventionally beautiful does NOT mean

I don't respect her as a fine actress, and if I didn't think so, I just wouldn't say

anything at all!

:D I agree with you on Gloria not possessing "conventional beauty." I've been known to

say that Gloria represents sex appeal to me. I think that's one of the biggest reasons

why men tend to be very attracted to her. But I also love her "way." She has a very

unique aura that enslaves me. She's very much a Siren with me. Grace Kelly, Gene

Tierney, Linda Darnell, Carole Lombard, Barbara Stanwyck, Ava Gardner, Claudia

Cardinale, and Madeleine Carroll are actresses that pull me in tight but Gloria's grip

on me is different than all the rest.

Hi there Frank: "Grace Kelly, GeneTierney, Linda Darnell, Carole Lombard, Barbara Stanwyck, Ava Gardner, Claudia Cardinale, and Madeleine Carroll are actresses that pull me in tight but Gloria's grip on me is different than all the rest."

I know you posed your question below to Bronxgirl...but might I have a crack at it Frank?

I think the girl you'd fall in love with would be the luminous GRACE KELLY. Why? Because I think she is the lady who would hold your interest on several levels. She could talk politics (as Princess). She'd be game for adventure. She toppled the great Gable in "Mogambo" didn't she? Any girl good enough for Holden, Gable, Jimmy or the Coop, Cary Grant, Sinatra or der Bingle, would be good enough for you, right? You'd be the envy of every man when you walked in any room with her on your arm at any venue becuz she'd look stylish and beautiful (see her in "Rear Window" or "To Catch A Thief"). Oh yes those other ladies are quite beautiful. But she has that indefinable touch o' class in spades! Since she was probably Main Line Philadelphia she'd know how to comport herself and be worth a pretty penny. (NOT that you'd be interested in her for her money). Then when all is said is done and you two either stayed home for the evening by a nice fire, or after a nice walk in the early summer evening in NYC's Central Park, Grace would pour you some wine and turn into the tigress she is. All lady-like bets would go out the window and you'd be swamped by all she had pent up in her, unleashed lovingly onto YOU (you lucky dawg). Again, you'd be the envy of every man, but they wouldn't have the luxury of those "closed door" details...not unless you'd care to share them on this Message Board.

I think some of those actresses you listed would certainly be a tiger, but not have the lady-like factor and even be rather prickly to handle. I think others would be genteel but probably too vanilla after hours where it might "count." They are all beautiful and I don't see you intimidated by their beauty.

But from reading your responses on this message board, and how eloquently you write about any topic...you may be secretly wanting BronxGirl, but I would say GRACE KELLY would be the girl to have won your heart.

I can't wait to see your answer.

Hiya, Liveliest Gal in Town -- Wow! I'm impressed with what you just

wrote, T. That was titilating. I don't want to comment any further because I'm

curious to see who Bronxie chooses. No need to worry about a derailment on this

thread, either. I can always swing it back Gloria's way. Could it be that Gloria is my

choice?

But from reading your responses on this message board, and how eloquently you

write about any topic...you may be secretly wanting BronxGirl,

:D Secretly? Openly! I think any guy would love to be with Bronxie. Life would

never, ever be dull. Never. And you know the same can be said of you. ;)

FYI, I finally mailed the letter.

Hola, Surliest Gal in Town -- What a man! He knew how to satisfy a woman, you can just tell by his squint!

Thanks for the compliment! :P I'm squinting.

Well, let me see. I'd say you probably could CONVINCE yourself that you were in love with Gloria, but I think you'd settle down with Gene.

Why? Because Gene has a classy sex appeal. She's not an ice queen like Grace and she's not overtly va-va-va-voom like Linda or Claudia. She'll nurture you without making you think of your mother; at the same time, she'll bring out your manly protectiveness. She'll get all your jokes and laugh at them. She can probably do the Lombard gal-pal thing real fine, enjoying a hike in the woods as much as a four course meal at a fancy restaurant, but you could have a burger with her at the local joint, and she'll treat everyone from every social class with warmth and sincerity. She will be eternally supportive of you while voicing her own opinions on the subjects she feels are important, but she is not the B word. She is just as likely to greet you at the door in nothing but a fur coat and a glass of champagne (she impulsively decides this after she finishes reading the New York Times Book Review; a woman of many sides) as she is to modestly meet your mother and make a wonderful impression. She is never common or coarse, yet she has the common touch with everyone she meets. Missy would be a bit too blunt for you; Ava would cheat on you left and right; Madeline is charming but I see her maybe not as sensual as you would like.

No, it's got to be Gene for you.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

So Bronxie, you think Frank would want the dark almond eyed beauty of Tierney over golden girl Kelly, ey? Hmm. Can't wait to see FrankieG's answer. But gosh darn it Bronxie if you don't make an excellent case (and excellent writer and understander of film goddesses and what they bring to the table). Aaah. Miss Goddess, if you're still on board, why don't you weigh in on this. And you too Princess Ananka. We're trying to find THE girl for you Frankie.

Now about that letter you mailed...where might I find it?