• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gloria Grahame a complete package

Juno is calling!

Hi Juno. I'll be right there

I don't get it.

Why is everyone talking in code today?

This is hard on us simple neurotic folk!

I don't get it either, Molo.

But frankly, I am just glad to hear from someone I know today.

All I know is everyone's walking out on me. :P

I think I'll just follow Dave around until he 'splains what's going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YwwnlS5DWk

?Why is everyone talking in code today?? - molo14

We?re talking in code becuz we?re part of the 'He-Man Woman Haters Club'. We?re talking in code becuz we play by the rules. We?re talking in code becuz the powers-that-be refuse to hear us, listen to us. But you can break the code Molo. It?s easy. You're normal. You can crack the code. (And break the bank at Monte Carlo, too).

;-) ;-)

"I don't get it either, Molo. But frankly, I am just glad to hear from someone I know today." - Jack Favell

On this board you don't know if you're hearing from someone you know...or someone you don't know. But you know who we are. We are those who have only one on-line persona. We are those who love Gloria Grahame: an underrated cookie.

;-) ;-)

"All I know is everyone's walking out on me.

I think I'll just follow Dave around until he 'splains what's going on." - Miss Goddess

No one is walking out on you, Ms. G. And while you're following Dave, someone is following you. Stick with us. Stick with Dave. Help is on the way. Great clip from "The Big Heat." I feel someone is about to splattered with coffee very very soon.

;-) ;-)

"I think we have the proverbial elephant in the room today." - molo14

Yes siree Bob, the elephant IS in the room and poor l'il Dumbo is soooooooooo uncomfortable being an elephant; so uncomfortable in being itself, that the elephant pretends to be a hyena or an orangutan, or a mole. But not to worry, there are lessons to be learned if you watch "The Greatest Show On Earth." Gloria can tame anything...man or beast or... --tr--mole.

;-) ;-)

Wow...have you guys seen this? Gloria (with an English accent!) and Joan Collins, Cherry Valance, and I swear I also saw Richard Basehart but I can't be sure and I also can't confirm

if what I saw was an impossibly young Laurence Harvey....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2p-vRtZuag&feature=related

CineMaven....Coffee anyone?

*The Good Die Young* (1954) is a slow moving heist film. GG's accent is horrible, but it's still a enjoyable film and yes, that is Richard Basehart. I managed to record it off TCM about two years ago and to my knowlege that's the only time it's been shown.

I remember all to well when TCM showed it. I recorded it on my new dvd recorder but I hadn't gotten the hang of it quite yet. After about an hour of viewing it just stopped. I had messed up the timing! :(

That's the only time I was ever able to see it and I still have not seen the ending yet! :)

What's up, Grahame's Guy? -- I've been meaning to thank you for taking the time to post

about Merton of the Movies. I greatly enjoyed reading your words and looking at the

wonderful screencaps you took. The last screencap is marvelous!

From what you spoke and showed (Gloria with the doggy), I'm pretty sure I'd love

Gloria's pampered "Beulah." Love those legs!

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I trust you & Molo and all my other Grahame boyz (and girls) saw her or recorded her in TCM's screening of "MACAO" during their William Bendix tribute. I fell asleep, but was luckily recording it. When I woke up briefly, there she was...blowing on some dice.

Good morning, CineBabe! -- Did you think I'd leave you alone?

I trust you & Molo and all my other Grahame boyz (and girls) saw her or recorded

her in TCM's screening of "MACAO" during their William Bendix tribute. I fell asleep,

but was luckily recording it.

I've got the DVD, but I'm glad Billy Bendix got the primetime spotlight last night. That

was terrific. That's TCM at its best.

Now we need to convince TCM Programmer that Gloria Grahame deserves an ENTIRE DAY

this August. She's been overlooked long enough. I suggest August 24th.

When I woke up briefly, there she was...blowing on some dice.

Easy. :)

What's Gloria wearing here? :D :

macao4.jpg

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Good morning, CineBabe! -- Did you think I'd leave you alone?

>

>

> I've got the DVD, but I'm glad Billy Bendix got the primetime spotlight last night. That

> was terrific. That's TCM at its best.

>

> Now we need to convince TCM Programmer that Gloria Grahame deserves an ENTIRE DAY

> this August. She's been overlooked long enough. I suggest August 24th.

>

>

Hi FrankG,

I caught Blue Dahlia and Macao last night, both of which I had seen before, but it's been a long time. (I saw The Dark Corner last month when TCM ran it, and I hadn't seen that one in a really long time.) Anyway, loved Blue Dahlia, Chandler at his best writing (even with the forced-upon changed ending), and Ladd, Lake, da Silva, and especially Bendix were top-notch. I absolutely agree with you, a mini-Bendix festival is what TCM does best. That's why we all love it. As for Macao, YIKES, for some reason I had forgotten what a total babe Gloria is, and how irresistible she is as soon as the camera lights upon her. Face, body language, and delivery of lines, she had it all. If Mitchum had been smart (and of course if he was he wouldn't be the Mitchum we know and love in film noir, would he?), he'd have gone back to Macao and stayed with Gloria, the heck with Jane. You're right, Gloria deserves her own day in August.

Hey FrankG, I finally posted my top 25 films noir over on the Noir Gallery thread, but so far no reaction from you. To steal one of your lines, I'm waiting down at the end of the bar. . .Bendix just bought me a bourbon, with a bourbon chaser. See you there.

>

> {quote:title=Rickspade wrote:}{quote}

> As for Macao, YIKES, for some reason I had forgotten what a total babe Gloria is, and how irresistible she is as soon as the camera lights upon her. Face, body language, and delivery of lines, she had it all. If Mitchum had been smart (and of course if he was he wouldn't be the Mitchum we know and love in film noir, would he?), he'd have gone back to Macao and stayed with Gloria, the heck with Jane. You're right, Gloria deserves her own day in August.

>

Well said, Rick, and I totally concur with the idea of a GG day in August. Although I'm not sure if I know what's so special about August 24th, specifically. :P

"Good morning, CineBabe! -- Did you think I'd leave you alone?" - FrankGrimes

Glad you didn't. I have to watch my tape of "Macao" to get the full Grahame effect. I know Rickspade's waiting for you, so I won't keep you. But it was interesting in "The Blue Dahlia" to see Ward Cleaver, Chester Riley and My Little Margie ALL in the same movie. And as much as I love Double G...it'd be hard for Mitchum to turn away Jane Russell's Double....well you know where I'm going.

Enjoy your bourbon boyz!! ;-)

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> "Good morning, CineBabe! -- Did you think I'd leave you alone?" - FrankGrimes

>

> Glad you didn't. I have to watch my tape of "Macao" to get the full Grahame effect. I know Rickspade's waiting for you, so I won't keep you. But it was interesting in "The Blue Dahlia" to see Ward Cleaver, Chester Riley and My Little Margie ALL in the same movie. And as much as I love Double G...it'd be hard for Mitchum to turn away Jane Russell's Double....well you know where I'm going.

>

> Enjoy your bourbon boyz!! ;-)

Hi Cinemaven,

I think you might have mistaken someone else for Gale Storm; she doesn't appear in The Blue Dahlia, even in an uncredited role. (Although it's too bad she doesn't, because that would make for the answer to one great trivia question.) If you look at the complete cast list for the film on IMDB (and I have a film noir encyclopedia that also lists everyone in the film, bits and uncredited roles as well), she's not listed. I thought the female clerk at the place where Jimmy's wife lived looked a bit like Gale Storm, although you never see her completely from the front, only in profile. Her name is Roberta Jonay. Is she the one you thought was Gale?

By the way, we can always substitute another person in the film if we want a trio of 50s TV actors in one film: Frank Faylen (he played the guy who gets Ladd to check into that sleazy motel), also known as the father in the immortal The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. Also Noel Neill, aka Lois Lane, also appears unbilled as a hatcheck girl. Now, see what you started!

And I know where you're going. . .that's naughty.

>I thought the female clerk at the place where Jimmy's wife lived looked a bit like Gale Storm, although you never see her completely from the front, only in profile. Her name is Roberta Jonay.

I kept wanting her to turn toward the camera so that I might behold that face, which I'm sure was a pretty one. But no... I don't think we even got a profile. Drat! :( Yes, I now know her name (thank you) and can go look her up...but it just wouldn't be the same. (sigh)

Hello fellow Gloria fans! :)

Did we ever discuss *Macao* here? I know we talked a little bit about it way back in this thread but I can't remember if we ever really got into it.

I alway thought that *Macao* was a good example of Gloria shining in a supporting role. She is sexy, enigmatic and cool as a cucumber, I have read some critics who think she is too restrained here, even a little wooden. I disagree. Mitchum's Nick Cochran says she reminds him of the Sphinx. It's an apt assessment. Gloria's Margie keenly observes events around her and understands that sometimes the smartest thing a girl can do is keep her mouth shut.

macao.jpg?t=1240947988

*Gloria Grahame keeping score in Macao*

She toys with Mitchum, telling him how good the rice is when he wants information. Margie sees that Russell's Julie is a potential threat but she doesn't act impulsively. I like how she tells Julie that Nick spent the night in her room, and the look on Nick's face. Yes, there's a playful side to Margie. Still, she has learned how to survive in complex and dangerous situations. She sees the big picture and knows when to play her hand. Yet she never seems hardened by her circumstances Just a realistic gal, who likes nice things and has enough healthy cynicism to see her through the rough spots.

*Macao* is an enjoyable Mitchum/Russell pairing with a good supporting cast including William. Bendix. It's a film that rises a few notches with the addition of Grahame. It's a role any capable actress might have played but Grahame makes it memorable.

*Human Desire* is coming up in June. Maybe we can have a discussion about it after it plays on TCM.

gloria7.jpg?t=1240956156

Oh and Frank, let's keep pushing Gloria for a Summer Under the Stars spot. TCM keeps some of her films in constant rotation but they haven't added a new (to TCM) one in a while. Perhaps *Blonde Fever* , *Naked Alibi* , *Roughshod* , *Ride Out for Revenge* , *Prisoner of the Casbah* or maybe others? How about it "tcmprogrammr"? :)

?I thought the female clerk at the place where Jimmy's wife lived looked a bit like Gale Storm, although you never see her completely from the front, only in profile. Her name is Roberta Jonay. Is she the one you thought was Gale?? - Rickspade

?I kept wanting her to turn toward the camera so that I might behold that face, which I'm sure was a pretty one. But no... I don't think we even got a profile. Drat! Yes, I now know her name (thank you) and can go look her up...but it just wouldn't be the same. (sigh)? - Lafitte

Hello Gentlemen. I thought Gale Storm was the friendly blonde who tries to maul Ladd when he comes home and finds his house filled with drunken party guests.

I know imdb lists her as Vera Marshe, but I would stake my cinemaven reputation on it. Yes, I saw Noel Neill and Frank Faylen also. Great movie. Ladd is really so dang short, but I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley. Now in a dark nightclub...

Now Gloria Grahame in "Macao"...