Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gloria Grahame a complete package

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> I thought the female clerk at the place where Jimmy's wife lived looked a bit like Gale > Hello Gentlemen. I thought Gale Storm was the friendly blonde who tries to maul Ladd when he comes home and finds his house filled with drunken party guests.

>

> I know imdb lists her as Vera Marshe, but I would stake my cinemaven reputation on it. Yes, I saw Noel Neill and Frank Faylen also. Great movie. Ladd is really so dang short, but I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley. Now in a dark nightclub...

>

> Now Gloria Grahame in "Macao"...

Hi Cinemaven,

Well, my film noir book also lists Vera Marshe as "the blond" and she's listed as the first person under BITS. I guess we can't be certain. However, Gale Storm was only 24 in 1946, and frankly that actress looked quite a bit older than 24 to me. On the other hand, Vera Marshe was 41 in 1946, and I'm not certain that actress looked to be that old either. Anyone else want to weigh in on this matter?

"Macao is an enjoyable Mitchum/Russell pairing with a good supporting cast including William. Bendix. It's a film that rises a few notches with the addition of Grahame. It's a role any capable actress might have played but Grahame makes it memorable." - Molo.

I got off on a little tangent talking about "The Blue Dahlia" so let me get back on track to mention "MACAO," (always loved that title). At the risk of seeming disloyal to Gloria I must say that Gloria holds her own in the face of that Amazonian super-structure known as Jane Russell. They both size each other up; whereas Russell is the most cynical looking woman in all of movies (fairly snarling...which can be sexy), Grahame seems like she knows a secret...your secret.

One might sock you in the jaw, the other might scratch your eyes out. But both can love you and patch you up after they pummel you. Boys, it might be fun for you to give them a reason to give you a beatdown. Gloria does have a more vulnerable screen persona. But didja see Jane get to the top of that stair landing with that parisol in her hand??

As for "Macao"...who'm I kidding, we're talking about Gloria. Hell, how lucky was Robert Mitchum? He was luckier than Gable in "Mogambo" don'cha think??

>

> As for "Macao"...who'm I kidding, we're talking about Gloria. Hell, how lucky was Robert Mitchum? He was luckier than Gable in "Mogambo" don'cha think??

Hi Cinemaven,

Well, let's think about that for a second. Considering that Mogambo was a remake of Red Dust, I'd say Gable was a pretty darn lucky fellow. The first time, he wound up with Jean Harlow, after dallying with (and then rejecting) Mary Astor; then, he wound up with Ava Gardner, after dallying with (and then rejecting) Grace Kelly. And to top it off, he was 21 years older on the second-go-around. . .and of course, Hollywood being Hollywood, three of his women were in their early to mid 20s, and Ava was only 31. I'd call that hitting the jackpot.

But, I'll admit, Mitchum did all right for himself, too!

Rick...you're a guy and I'm not. I guess I stand corrected re: assessing Gable's vs. Mitchum's leading lady luck. Harlow and Ava certainly do bring on the heat. And if you watch the first five minutes of "Bye Bye Birdie" tonite...

Bingo or jackpot!

Lynn,

Bring your Gloria movie ideas over here. This thread is for all things Gloria. We can jabber over here and it will keep the thread warm until Frank writes his thoughts on *In A Lonely Place.* That could be a very long time! :)

Just saw Macao. She was great in it. Loved the scene where she picked up the diamond bracelet. He said, "You don't want that. It would just make you look cheap." She came back with, "Yea, but what a way to look cheap!"

Her FILM was The Bad and the Beautiful! Nobody could have done better.

Hola, CineBabe -- Hold up, didn't Frank already write about...oh.

Naughty.

And despite my saying Gloria represents the sexual side of me, my vote goes for

Grace and Ava. Give me fire and ice.

What's the score, Rick? -- I caught Blue Dahlia and Macao last night, both of

which I had seen before, but it's been a long time. (I saw The Dark Corner last month

when TCM ran it, and I hadn't seen that one in a really long time.) Anyway, loved Blue

Dahlia, Chandler at his best writing (even with the forced-upon changed ending), and

Ladd, Lake, da Silva, and especially Bendix were top-notch.

I've yet to watch The Blue Dahlia, but I've seen the other two films you

mention. I feel both are underrated.

I absolutely agree with you, a mini-Bendix festival is what TCM does best. That's why

we all love it.

What I was most taken with was that TCM Programmer gave Bendix the primetime

treatment. Now that's damn impressive.

As for Macao, YIKES, for some reason I had forgotten what a total babe Gloria is,

and how irresistible she is as soon as the camera lights upon her. Face, body language,

and delivery of lines, she had it all.

I think Macao is the film where Gloria looks the softest and most beautiful. Even

though she plays a woman who is not to be trusted, she is so very alluring to this sucker.

macao3.jpg

If Mitchum had been smart (and of course if he was he wouldn't be the Mitchum we

know and love in film noir, would he?), he'd have gone back to Macao and stayed with

Gloria, the heck with Jane.

:D Gloria would have driven Mitch nuts.

You're right, Gloria deserves her own day in August.

All right! Now we're talking.

Hey FrankG, I finally posted my top 25 films noir over on the Noir Gallery thread, but

so far no reaction from you. To steal one of your lines, I'm waiting down at the end of

the bar. . .Bendix just bought me a bourbon, with a bourbon chaser. See you there.

I did see it the day you posted it. I'll definitely show. I've been trying to get my feet

underneath me again. I've been getting roughed up a bit, of late. A piece of advice for

you: avoid gals from Texas.

What's up, Grahame's Guy? -- Did we ever discuss Macao here? I know we

talked a little bit about it way back in this thread but I can't remember if we ever really

got into it.

I can't remember. All I remember was my lengthy writings of In a Lonely Place.

I alway thought that Macao was a good example of Gloria shining in a supporting

role. She is sexy, enigmatic and cool as a cucumber, I have read some critics who

think she is too restrained here, even a little wooden. I disagree. Mitchum's Nick

Cochran says she reminds him of the Sphinx. It's an apt assessment. Gloria's Margie

keenly observes events around her and understands that sometimes the smartest thing

a girl can do is keep her mouth shut.

This won't come as a surprise, but I'm with you. I adore Gloria's "Margie." Her "raised

eyebrow" style really fits this character. She's Catwoman. You're drawn to her but you

know you cannot fully trust her.

She toys with Mitchum, telling him how good the rice is when he wants information.

Margie sees that Russell's Julie is a potential threat but she doesn't act impulsively. I like

how she tells Julie that Nick spent the night in her room, and the look on Nick's face. Yes,

there's a playful side to Margie. Still, she has learned how to survive in complex and

dangerous situations. She sees the big picture and knows when to play her hand. Yet

she never seems hardened by her circumstances Just a realistic gal, who likes nice

things and has enough healthy cynicism to see her through the rough spots.

That was terrific! I'm with ya, again. Yeah, you're right to be worried about me agreeing

with you this much. You don't want to be all that close to me with all these bullets flying.

macao2.jpg

And you definitely mentioned Margie's motivation for helping Nick (Robert Mitchum). She

views Julie (Jane Russell) as a threat.

macao4-1.jpg

Macao is an enjoyable Mitchum/Russell pairing with a good supporting cast including

William. Bendix. It's a film that rises a few notches with the addition of Grahame. It's a

role any capable actress might have played but Grahame makes it memorable.

I'm someone who likes sleepy Mitch and then you throw in Gloria and Jane along with an

exotic setting and I'm a happy camper. Macao is escapist film noir.

Human Desire is coming up in June. Maybe we can have a discussion about it after

it plays on TCM.

You know, I've only seen Human Desire once and I watched it with a Fritz Lang

mindset. I really need to watch it again with a Double G mindset. I really liked Gloria in

the film, so I'm pretty darn sure I'd REALLY like her now.

Oh and Frank, let's keep pushing Gloria for a Summer Under the Stars spot. TCM

keeps some of her films in constant rotation but they haven't added a new (to TCM) one

in a while. Perhaps Blonde Fever , Naked Alibi , Roughshod , Ride Out for Revenge ,

Prisoner of the Casbah or maybe others? How about it "tcmprogrammr"?

Yes! We need to put the heat on TCM Programmer. Gloria needs her SUTS day.

These are the Gloria films I'm gunning for, in order of my want:

Naked Alibi

The Good Die Young

Roughshod

The Glass Wall

Blonde Fever

Prisoners of the Casbah

Ride Out for Revenge

Man on a Tightrope (Fox)

macao5.jpg

macao1.jpg

I finished watching the movie last night and enjoyed it a lot. Sure, GG doesn't get as much screen time as maybe some of us would like to, but she certainly makes the most of it.

One of the scenes with GG I enjoyed the most was the "let it ride" scene and the way GG was shaking the dice. She brings such a special touch to it! :D

2d0nvuo.jpg

r0v81t.jpg

2dtsvx3.jpg

2dbuofk.jpg

otosg9.jpg

aox507.jpg

2z99qoz.jpg

t9jc6p.jpg

10oh6vp.jpg

"Hola, CineBabe -- Hold up, didn't Frank already write about...oh.

Naughty.

And despite my saying Gloria represents the sexual side of me, my vote goes for

Grace and Ava. Give me fire and ice."

I kind of thought Gloria WAS fire and ice, Frank.

By the way...release the hounds!!!

*Bring your Gloria movie ideas over here. This thread is for all things Gloria. We can jabber over here and it will keep the thread warm until Frank writes his thoughts on In A Lonely Place. That could be a very long time!*

Molo,

Here you go:

*Gloria Meets Molo*

The tale of two misfits brought together at Chumley's Rest Home after a rousing night at a local bar. They share a passion for classic movies, liquor and a pooka named Harvey.

All is going well until Molo dons a particularly misshapen hat and Gloria's head is turned by that cad, Shiftless Sam.

*Shiftless Sam Cons Gloria*

Gloria plays a stunning seductress who abandons Molo when she falls for Shiftless Sam and ends up on the wrong side of love.

*Gloria Tortures FrankGrimes*

Gloria discovers, with help from a new pen pal, that Shiftless Sam is a bad, bad man. She turns the tables on him following a long evening of playing craps.

*Gloria Visits Molo*

Gloria discovers that her pen pal is really her long-lost twue love, Molo. She discovers that he is not doing well at Chumley's Rest Home and rushes to his side. With her tender loving ways, she restores Molo to health.

*Gloria and Molo's Big Heat* aka *Gloria and Molo Get Married*

Due to the Production Code, this film had to be retitled. It's the charming story of the travails that Gloria and Molo experience on their way to the altar.

Co-stars Henry Travers as the Minister and S.K. Sakall as the caterer

*Gloria and Molo Go Hollywood*

On their honeymoon, Gloria and Molo try to help their friends vanquish a foe and put on a show. Gloria sings and dances in this one and Molo does magic tricks.

*Gloria and Molo's Glass Wall*

While trying to build their dream home, Gloria and Molo get drawn into trying to improve their community.

*Gloria and Molo's Naked Alibi*

While battling an evil crime syndicate, Gloria and Molo find time to start a family.

*Gloria and Molo's Odds Against Tomorrow*

To celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary, Gloria and Molo travel to Las Vegas in the era of the Rat Pack. Once there, they realize that evil is everywhere and they must battle the Big Man Himself.

Special appearance by the Rat Pack in the Copa Room at the Sands Hotel.

*Gloria, Molo and the Man Who Never Was*

Gloria and Molo finally defeat the Big Man Himself and restore peace and harmony to their town.

*The Seven Little Glolo's*

Gloria and Molo's seven children grow up to be the toast of Broadway.

Special cameo appearance by James Cagney reprising his role as George M. Cohan. He and Molo do a soft-shoe number.

*lzcutter,* How funny! Loved it. Those are movies that should have been made. (Move over, Andy Hardy) ;)

( *lz*, you are obviously gifted at this sort of thing. I hope you do some more from time to time. I'm a fan).

laffite

Lafitte,

Glad you are enjoying them.

There's a crime serial that Gloria and Molo did as well as.

It includes their # 3 son, Larry "Bud" Molo who helps them out in hopes of not going to college. He's the black sheep of the family since he didn't join the other seven Glolos on the Great White Way.

I want to see Molo's reaction before posting anymore.

Lynn,

I love it!! :)

Those are all great. What a great team we made. Why would Gloria even bother wasting her time with the likes of Ray, Dmytryk, Lang, Mitchum, and Bogie??? This series is both high art and box office gold.

*All is going well until Molo dons a particularly misshapen hat and Gloria's head is turned by that cad, Shiftless Sam.*

I just never understood the problem with the hat!!! Darn that Shiftless Sam!

*Gloria plays a stunning seductress who abandons Molo when she falls for Shiftless Sam and ends up on the wrong side of love.*

Oh the heartbreak!! Sometimes you have to taste the bitter to really appreciate the sweet.

*She discovers that he is not doing well at Chumley's Rest Home and rushes to his side. With her tender loving ways, she restores Molo to health.*

All is forgiven Gloria!! :) Wow! Tough times! It was a hard road back. I shed more tears than Frank Grimes at a Greer Garson film festival!

*Gloria and Molo's Big Heat aka Gloria and Molo Get Married*

*Due to the Production Code, this film had to be retitled. It's the charming story of the travails that Gloria and Molo experience on their way to the altar.*

*Co-stars Henry Travers as the Minister and S.K. Sakall as the caterer*

This might be my favorite! Kind of a screwball comedy, I think. Those were the salad days. Gloria couldn't keep her hands off "Cuddles" cheeks though.

*Gloria and Molo Go Hollywood*

Move over Mickey and Judy! Gloria really shines here. What a voice! What moves! My magic tricks killed 'em.

*Gloria and Molo's Glass Wall*

*Gloria and Molo's Naked Alibi*

*Gloria and Molo's Odds Against Tomorrow*

*Gloria, Molo and the Man Who Never Was*

*The Seven Little Glolo's*

HAAA! These are all wonderful!! The Glolo's cracked me up. This is powerful stuff! A soft-shoe with Cagney, battling evil doers, dealing with the post war era, Vegas and the Rat Pack. You are a natural scenarist! Does Hollywood know what they are missing???

Thanks so much. These are priceless. They really made my day. :):)

Eat your heart out Grimes! You know you're jealous! :D

I want to see Molo's reaction before posting anymore.

I think he has PASSED OUT from the excitement!!!!! :D

(and ps... Is this film collection available in a DVD Box Set.... and are there any "Special Features" like the now famous PBS documentary: America's Sweethearts.... Gloria and Molo: A Hollywood Love Story ?????

Ha... MOLO... we posted at the same time.... I see you have recovered!!! Ha!

Message was edited by: rohanaka

Molo,

I'm so glad you liked them and for the record, I hope Frankie didn't burst an artery reading them.

Look for the Crime Series to be posted this weekend along with a long-thought lost classic from the Crime Series.

A print, in pristine condition, was found in the basement of Chumley's Rest Home just before it was demolished. Looks like a 50 story medical tower will be built in it's place.

In addition to the Crime Series, there are the ultra rare biography movies as well.

I'm with Ro, I see a DVD box set with plenty of extras!

Stay tuned!

Message was edited by: lzcutter

ibmhjr.jpg

(For the benefit of everyone in the forums who isn't in on the in-joke, and for whom this thread might appear a bit bizarre, I just thought I'd add a little GG photo to reassure them that all is well and that people here are just having fun, but still sticking with the GG topic) ;)

Look for the Crime Series to be posted this weekend along with a long-thought lost classic from the Crime Series.

Lynn... Now I am on the edge of my seat for sure!!! YOU are quite the quick wit, young'un.

Anyone who is a real fan of Gloria Grahame .... or even a just someone (like me...) who enjoys her films but still has a LONG way to go to catch up to "devoted status" (ha) can appreciate your very original and TRULY entertaining posts.

What a great way to showcase both her #1 fan here.. (HIYA MOLO) AND the star too... all at the same time. :D

Message was edited by: rohanaka.... because I am a poor speller sometimes... :-)

Lynn,

I know Gloria and Molo fans tend to dismiss one of my favorites (as is being made very obvious by all here since no one is even mentioning it in passing), but I don't think *Gloria and Molo at the Opera* was that bad. Alright, I give you that having two different actors star in it, and it being at the cheapo GYP Studios (whose motto was "as soon as you see one of our pictures, you will know it is a GYP") did not have the class of the other studio. However, GYP did own the rights to the original short story, so it should be counted. I admit I don't like the stories that emerged from the set that the Blackburn Twins would take turns playing both parts because I think that takes away from the sincerity of portraying Gloria and Molo. And Donald Meek as Chunky Chan was an insult. Still, I would have liked to see the one they shelved before releasing, *Gloria and Molo Escape the Chain Gang*.