Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gloria Grahame a complete package

She's not very good at it. I thought it was a telling comment. She'd never make it if she had to live by stealing. She'd have more than likely been pinched if she hadn't had Peter's help. What's a poor, down on her luck gal to do? This was another reason why this role was an interesting change for Gloria. She doesn't manipulate events here, she has no control in her life. We know she got canned from her job, a job that was making her crazy, because she was sick. I guess she is still bouncing back.

Great caps, molo!

It's a great character for Gloria. Lots of people could identify with her. She's

at a precarious point in her life. If love doesn't step in, if something meaningful

doesn't happen she's going to end up bitter and hard. You can tell she's on

the brink. I like the way the movie shows how people with no family to fall back

on are the most vulnerable. Tanya, for all her troubles, projects a solid front

because she's got people. That's something. Gloria's got nothing unless she

and Vittorio can make a go of it.

And then they can marry and move next door to Jerry and his wife in New Rochelle

and live happily ever after! :D

*Wasn?t that one reason why she hated the shoelace factory job. Wasn?t she getting pinched there too?*

Oh you kill me! :) Yes, that's true. She hated the monotony of it too though. She really has a dim view of men in this film. She reminded me a little of Lily Powers. Perhaps Maggie should have read Nietzsche. On second thought...oh...never mind.

*You know, I LOVED Joseph Wiseman?s loose-y goose-y hopped up character in that movie.*

Most people I know do love his performance, but superficial as I am, I just wanted someone to bash him over the head with a nightstick. I don't know what's wrong with me! I'm definitely in the minority on that one. Then there is jittery Lee Grant, bursting on the scene like a young Thelma Ritter; minus the cynical wisecracks. There is a lot to take in with that film. I've only seen it once, maybe a second viewing would change my mind. I've grown since then. :)

*Didn?t you think she made a very fetching Florence Nightingale as she sat on the bed with Peter, doctoring up his ribs... Methinks our Gloria can?t help but be sexy. Awwwww, she's not so tough.*

You're right. She's not so tough in this. When they embrace it seems such an emotional release for her.

*I liked your screen cap of Double G with those two ?dead-end? kids. She looked bemused by their toughness.*

I thought so too. It's kind of amusing when you review the scene. Those two little guys going up against the great Double G! She looks like she's having fun with it.

*But then her demeanor getting those two dimes...all the while knowing Peter is watching her...(Gloria?s a heartbreaker when she?s vulnerable).*

She tilts up her head and kind of gathers herself before she walks back to him. Her body language is interesting in that scene.

*Dude, I?m ready. You just name the time, the place, the thread. Oh, and the film too. (But nothing silent, please). I'm already going out on the limb laying claim to being the Fluff Queen.*

Alright it's on! :D I'll get in touch with you about what, when and where.

*Oooh, Scott had a beautiful body, didn?t he?*

I don't know. He's no Edward Everett Horton!

*But my favorite pairing with Cary & Irene remains: ?THE AWFUL TRUTH.?*

I'm now convinced that *The Awful Truth* is the better film. They are both superior comedies. The only weakness with both films is the overly cute final few minutes. I think *My Favorite Wife* is a little better on that one point.

*Now...where did I put those darned tassels?*

Pull yourself together CineMaven. The crowd is restless with anticipation! :D

Hi Miss Goddess,

*I like the way the movie shows how people with no family to fall back*

*on are the most vulnerable. Tanya, for all her troubles, projects a solid front*

*because she's got people. That's something. Gloria's got nothing unless she*

*and Vittorio can make a go of it.*

That's a wonderful point. I hadn't looked at it that way but it is so true.

*And then they can marry and move next door to Jerry and his wife in New Rochelle*

*and live happily ever after! :D*

Ha! What a nice thought. It was nice seeing Jerry as Tom. I didn't realize his film acting credits were so extensive until I checked out his IMDB page after seeing this.

Good evening, Grahame's Guy -- It's good to see you back in the mix. A terrific post by you.

When Peter (Gassman) comes up out of the subway into Times Square you really get the view of the city from his perspective. I really liked the "vibe' of it too. The shots of the city at night, the crowds, the commotion. Oh for the glory days of neon!

Very nice caps to illustrate the vibe. I definitely agree with you about the vibe, too. I really liked it. Granted, there were tons of rear-projection shots with the performers, but the "setting" shots were great.

You are seeing the city through Peter's eyes. Those dark urban shots really give you the sense of the crowded anonymity of New York.

"Crowded anonymity." Fantastic!

Peter is looking for Tom. The authorities are looking for Peter. It's interesting too that there are no real bad guys, amongst the main characters.

That's right. As Miss G wisely stated, the enemy is the law (statute).

Well,you know, if you two would step out of the darkness once in a while

No! I'm a vampire!

Peter's "respect" for authority is certainly colored by his experiences in the war and what happened afterward. He's had a full life trying to survive authority. First the Nazis, then his native Hungary and it's collusion, then Nazi occupation outright, Soviet invasion and the installation of a communist government. As Peter says, "he has no country, it is no more.

That's a brilliant point, Molo. Peter's distrust of authority is well-founded.

(((Off topic but noteworthy, it is interesting that he is from Hungary, that country's story of collusion, occupation and last minute deportations is yet another grand tragedy buried amidst so many unimaginable tragedies of the war. The only extensive photographic documentation of Jews arriving at Auschwitz-Birkenau are from the, literally, last minute Hungarian deportations:

Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. That's some impressive knowledge.

So maybe stowing away to get to America seemed like small potatoes to him. He's read the law and knows he has an "in" due to helping Tom. He tells them: you have to take me He understands basic right from wrong, Don't steal coats! Stealing from children isn't a nice thing to do. Yet he helps out Maggie because he understands desperation and he distrusts authority. He takes her help for those same reasons. I'm not justifying all his actions but just trying to gain insight into his character. Peter has no doubt had to deal with moral compromises his whole life.

That's a terrific comment. Peter doesn't look to break the law just to break the law. He rather not. But he feels they are unwilling to listen to him, to give him a chance. He's desperate.

Why does he help her? What is this idea he has? How does going to her place help him with his mission?

At first, I believe Peter was helping the woman get her coat back. But then I also believe he completely understood the mentality of Maggie. He saw her stealing food.

glasswall16.jpg

Why her place? I believe he was looking for someone to help him. Since he helped her, maybe she would help him, ala Tom. He just needed to find someone who could lend him a hand.

I agree with you both about this. It's so interesting to see Gloria in these desperate circumstances. She is a gal with a lot of issues. Definitely, there is backstory to this character that might make another movie. Her sexuality seems to be an obstacle in her mind. She's been through the ringer here and Peter can sense he's among the damaged. Yet she finally connects to him as a fellow traveler struggling to stay afloat.

Very nicely said. Maggie even teaches Peter a lesson about survival, NYC style.

glasswall17.jpg

glasswall18.jpg

glasswall19.jpg

It's not that they are so much a like. Peter still believes in life's promise, always moving, hopefully forward, Maggie is on the verge of stalling out.

Yet another fantastic comment. Peter is nothing but hopeful, especially when you consider what he's been through. And maybe that's what has him so hopeful. He's been to hell and back. Maggie thinks she has it really bad but she doesn't know how good she still has it.

glasswall20.jpg

glasswall21.jpg

I really liked the comparison to Ginny. Maybe even Ginny about seven years later. I can definitely see that. Ironically though my biggest beef with this film, and I'm such a Gloriaphile that I can't be unbiased about it, is that they are not given more time together. Gloria is essentially removed from the story halfway through. Peter has other journeys, other meetings ahead, but I would have shucked all that, to see these two characters given more back and forth time while on the run.

It may not have worked, or worked as well. Typical Grahame role. A lot of unfinished business. Always leave them wanting more.

That is all very true. Gloria does disappear in the film and that's very "Gloria." It's rare she gets the spotlight throughout. And, you're right, she always leaves you wanting more of her. What a girl!

This was another reason why this role was an interesting change for Gloria. She doesn't manipulate events here, she has no control in her life.

I like that, Molo. It really is rare for Gloria to be playing such a character. It's a nice change of pace for her.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> And then they can marry and move next door to Jerry and his wife in New Rochelle

> and live happily ever after!

>

> What?! Who is this? Butterscotch? If he's to be married, he should just jump off the building! :P

Ohhh, Rob wouldn't do that. :)

Great, Molo. Now...where did I put those darned tassels?

Oh you kill me!

Ha ha. :-)

Perhaps Maggie should have read Nietzsche. On second thought...oh...never mind.

Why girls are reading ?Sex & the Single Girl? and ?COSMO? I?ll never know.

Most people I know do love his (Joseph Wiseman) performance, but superficial as I am, I just wanted someone to bash him over the head with a nightstick. I don't know what's wrong with me! I'm definitely in the minority on that one.

No, you?re not in the minority Mo?. There are lots of characters that annoy the heck outta people.

Then there is jittery Lee Grant, bursting on the scene like a young Thelma Ritter; minus the cynical wisecracks. There is a lot to take in with that film. I've only seen it once, maybe a second viewing would change my mind. I've grown since then.

Now Lee's character annoys me. Say, that movie might be worth a ramble if it hasn?t been done, and imitators don?t usurp the idea. I like the film. I thought Kirk Douglas was riveting. He couldn?t...

could not let go! And it cost him.

Alright it's on! I'll get in touch with you about what, when and where.

I?ll be waitin?.

ME: Oooh, (Randolph) Scott had a beautiful body, didn?t he?

YOU: I don't know. He's no Edward Everett Horton!

You?ve got to be kidding. E.E.Horton?s no Samuel S. Hinds.

I'm now convinced that 'The Awful Truth' is the better film. They are both superior comedies. The only weakness with both films is the overly cute final few minutes. I think 'My Favorite Wife' is a little better on that one point.

Now I confess to being superficial. ?THE AWFUL TRUTH? is my personal barometer for who likes classic film. (Isn't Gail Patrick stunning looking?) You?re so right about the overly cute finale. Those moments where she and Cary do the double talk are not great for me. The only thing that redeems it (for me) is that laugh of Dunne?s as she's under the covers.

Pull yourself together CineMaven. The crowd is restless with anticipation!

Well a girl?s got to practice, doesn?t she? That's how you get to Carnegie Hall.

An aside: Checking out the new "Hawaii Five-O." I'm enjoying it.

10,000 posts?!! Is this supposed to make me like all those stakes thru my heart better?!! "Oh yeah, CM, abuse me 10,000 times - I REALLY adore that!!"

Well, at least posts like these don't get splashed up on the coffeeshop wall... just those blasted poster threads. Whew.

Ollie, Miss G., Jackaaaaaaay and Grimesy me boy...I am totally flattered by your acknowledge- ment of my 10K status here on the Message Board. Plus seeing you've included Janis Carter &

Irene Dunne and the queen, Bette Davis...three of my favorites, well...

I hope I've been informative, humorous, camaraderiel and never boring. Thanxxx for reading and your congratulations.

Edited by: CineMaven on Sep 21, 2010 8:29 PM...yup, I'm still making up words.

Hi CineMaven,

*I hope I've been informative, humorous, camaraderiel and never boring. Thanxxx for reading and your congratulations.*

Yes you've been all of that and more! :)

I think somebody's earned herself a spaghetti dinner!

Gloriacrossfire-1.jpg?t=1285117827

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Hi there M.N. Thanxxx so much for your congratulations. I hope to make the next 10K just as entertaining.

>

> The NEXT ten thousand??? Oy vey!!! Head for the hills everyone.

Not on your life! I'm getting a front row seat.

No ma'am, Miss Goddess...don't you slow down. I want to write like you when I grow up. I've got ten thousand more practices to achieve that.

Jackaaaaay, don't let my blazing writing talent blind you in that front row seat. Oh wait, that's a better seat to throw tomatoes from. (Yikes!) Let me practice my bobbing and weaving, while also preparing my dance for the boys. They might be getting restless.