Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
skimpole

50 States 50 Great Movies?

I like those WW II films set in crowded Washington like *The More the Merrier* and *The Doughgirls.*

There is also *Mr Smith Goes to Washington.*

scsu,

In the original post skimpole said he wanted to include DC and Puerto Rico. :)

I think of only one film for Washington D.C. - *Born Yesterday*.

The city and its landmarks even play a role in the film.

"This place is prettier than the Music Hall. And it smells so nice!" - Billie Dawn

(or something to that effect)

Kyle In Hollywood

As a Pennsylvanian, I notice that ROCKY is the state movie selected. A much better film was THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, though the locale was hardly mentioned.

Looking at the Time Out list, I think Arkansas, Colordo, Connecticu, Illinois, Indiana, Lousiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Texas, Wisconsin and Wyoming could use better movies, and Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Michigan, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina could use a lot better movies.

Eeh! Don't waste your time here, finance.

Any list which would say "the best film made about Texas" would be "The Texas Chain-Saw Massacre" instead of "Giant" isn't exactly the most reliable resource one could hope to find, ya know!

(..though I gotta say its pick of "Chinatown" for California isn't half-bad)

Michigan... well,the American Pie movies were set in Grand Rapids.... And Roger and Me was all about Flint.....

but I'll go with Anatomy of a Murder... filmed in the UP....

New York State (Niagara Falls)....NIAGARA (1953) ...Part of the movie was filmed in Niagara Falls, NY although most of it was filmed in Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}For Wyoming, I would pick Shane.

Agree, agree, agree. Nothing shows off Teton country like SHANE. And, oh yeah, it's a great movie.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}I think of only one film for Washington D.C. - *Born Yesterday*.

> The city and its landmarks even play a role in the film.

> "This place is prettier than the Music Hall. And it smells so nice!" - Billie Dawn

> (or something to that effect)

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

For *political* Washington DC, I'd go with Gabriel Over The White House for its melodramatic evocation of the mood in the Capital during the depths of the Depression.

But *local* Washington awaits a screen adaptation of Edward P. Jones' Lost in the City, which being short stories would have to be made along the lines of Harvey Keitel's Brooklyn-based Blue in the Face and Smoke. It's rather amazing that after all these years there's still never been a first rate movie about Washington that isn't centered on national politics. The closest try is probably The More The Merrier, but even there the real Washington, DC barely makes an entrance.

To be fair, I haven't seen Jeremiah Johnson, and while understanding why the Colorado tourist board would not be enthusiastic, I still think The Shining would be a better choice for that state.

There must be, like, 3,000 significant movies set in California. It would take me about 50 hours to determine whether the choice of CHINATOWN wasn't "half-bad".

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}There must be, like, 3,000 significant movies set in California.

I think you'd have to break California up, at least into Nothern & Southern. (We think of them as two different states anyway). For Nothern CA my choice would be *VERTIGO* but for Southern there are so many I couldn't choose between *REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE* or *DOUBLE INDEMNITY* or the thousands of great movies about Hollywood.

I was actually thinking this very same thing earlier myself, LP. Yep,there ARE many subtle and overt differences between the north and south portions of my old home state.

Take for instance how movies made in and around "Frisco"(yeah, I know how much that upsets some of 'em up there when someone has the "audacity" to call their little city that, and so THAT'S why I LOVE to tweak their snobbish little noses by callin' it that...HAHAHA...ah, but I digress) differ from those movies made about my old home town of L.A.

(...it IS perfectly acceptable to abbreviate the name of "Los Angeles", ya know!)

LOL

Vertigo for Northern CA is a great choice. I would also add the Bogart Bacall movie Dark Passage. Lot of nice views of the great city of San Francisco.

Oh c'mon, James! SAY it..."FRISCO"!

It DOES trip off the tongue MUCH easier than sayin' "San Francisco", ya know. Uh huh...kinda like sayin' "L.A."!!!

LOL

(...oh, and btw...I DO have to admit that "Frisco" IS probably THE most beautiful city in all of these United States...just in case people think I have somethin' against the town, which I don't...I just have somethin' against pretentious folks no matter WHERE they reside, THAT'S all) ;)

Well I do call the town Frisco. Anyone that would be offend with that, well, I put them in the same category as those that find remakes offensive!

>Well I do call the town Frisco. Anyone that would be offend with that, well, I put them in the same category as those that find remakes offensive!

LOL

Right on, Brother! Right on!!!

(...his could mean I might need to purchase yet ANOTHER six-pack of that beer, ya know!) ;)

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}I think residents like "San Fran" better.

That's the way I heard it too. Every Northern Californian I ever met called it San Fran or just "the city". Calling it "Frisco" was a dead giveaway that you weren't from around there (like saying "pop" vs "soda" or saying "Cali"-- no Californian says "Cali").