Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
skimpole

50 States 50 Great Movies?

One not so famous Louisiana movie:

*Obsession * 1975, with Cliff Robertson and Genevive Bujold. Takes place in New Orleans and Florence Italy. It was the first movie appearance I recall of John Lithgow. Very interesting from Brian DePalma; trying to do Hitchcock. Bernard Herrmann scored it; one of his last projects.

Message was edited by: casablancalover

Ummm. I was wondering if there was more Tennessee Williams. Seems like there should be.....

Cascabel mentioned *The Rose Tattoo,* and there is *Streetcar*, other than that I can only think of one other William's film set in Louisiana and that's *Suddenly Last Summer.* A number of his works were set in Mississippi. Maybe someone else can think of another one set in La.

How about Maine? The one that comes to mind first is "In the Bedroom," and that strikes me as the best movie about that state. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I can't think of a serious contender but I can offer one guilty pleasure.

*HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS* 1970

Ok, what about Maryland? There's Barry Levinson's films, such as Diner, as well as Liberty Heights, Avalon and Tin Men.

Ok, what about Massachussetts. I'm sure there are plenty of movies set in Boston, but the only two that come to mind are "The Last Hurrah" and "The Departed." And what about movies not set in Boston?

Good Will Hunting

Johnny Tremain

Plymouth Adventure

The Verdict

National Treasure

Message was edited by: scsu1975

I will add these to the list:

*Captains Courageous* 1937

*Fear Strikes Out* 1957

*Now Voyager* 1942

*A Stolen Life* 1946

My favorite Massachusetts films: For Boston, THE LATE GEORGE APLEY. For the rest of Mass., there is a fine and creepy British horror film called HORROR HOTEL, aka CITY OF THE DEAD, which takes place in a place called Whitewood, Mass. And there are fine film versions of Hawthorne's novels, such as THE HOUSE OF THE SEVEN GABLES and THE SCARLET LETTER (particularly the one with Lillian Gish).

Horror Hotel! Awesome!

"I am Elizabeth Newlis" How creepy a line was that? Never thought I'd see that movie mentioned here.

Cool.

MASSACHUSETTS: *Little Women* (1933, 1949), *Stella Dallas* (1937), *Alice's Restaurant* (1969), *The Perfect Storm* (2000).

Backing up a little: *The Buccaneer* (1938, 1958) for Louisiana and at least one John Waters movie (especially the original *Hairspray* ) for Maryland.

I saw HORROR HOTEL when I was a kid and will never forget that line, spoken as she plunged a knife into poor Venetia Stevenson! Another one of my fave lines from that film, spoken by Jethrow Keane: "To see me is a special privilege, reserved for a chosen few!."

The DVD has good extras, including interviews with Stevenson, Christopher Lee, and director Moxey.

You are absolutely right! I'm surprised I didn't edit that......I realized it last night when I went IMDB.

I just ordered today. It should be here by Fri. I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid. Probably saw it 5 times, then.

It's very underrated. I saw it years ago on TV, then just recently at that website. It's difficult to read the credits, but the rest of the film is in pretty good shape.

The DVD (available under the British title CITY OF THE DEAD, but in our NTSC format) is a good transfer. It features the British version, with a couple more minutes of footage. In addition to the interviews, there is a full-length commentary by Christopher Lee. It's released in America by VCI entertainment.

Ok, now it's Michigan. The first movie that comes to me is Grosse Pointe Blank. But surely there are more prominent movies about Detroit.