Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
skimpole

50 States 50 Great Movies?

*"How about Rocky ?"* - scsu1975

I'm partial to Bullwinkle myself. (But not the movie! Same goes for *Boris And Natasha* )

Kyle In Hollywood

As one who was born and raised in the Philadelphia area I've been waiting for Pennsylvania to come up. Two favorites:

Pride of the Marines with John Garfield and Eleanor Parker. Numerous scenes were filmed in Philadelphia. There are some especially good shots of 30th Street Station, indoors as well as outside on the train platforms.

Bright Victory with Arthur Kennedy and Peggy Dow. This did some filming in center city Philadelphia, as well as at the Valley Forge Army Hospital.

Strangely enough, both these films deal with the problems of soldiers blinded in the war and their assimilation back into civilian life, though POTM is based on the true story of Al Schmid and BV is fictional. I highly recommend these two movies.

Di

*Night Of The Living Dead* (1968), *Black Fury* (1935), *Bob Roberts* (1992) and *Rabbit, Run* (1970) are some of my favorites.

(Backing up for just a bit to Oklahoma: I can't find a mention of *The Grapes Of Wrath* (1940) here. It's the Mother of all Mother Road movies, but it's still rooted in Oklahoma. Then there's *Silkwood* (1983), one of the most frightening movies ever.)

Good thread topic which I must have missed on my last visit.

Although it is tough to talk about Georgia. There are no really great films set here.

......unless you count that annoying little diddy called *Gone With the Wind*. :P

Well, that and that very minor Buster Keaton project called *The General*. ;)

No takers for Rhode Island. Ok, what about South Carolina? The only film that I can recall that takes place there is Mel Gibson's "The Patriot." I've never seen it, can anyone name any other (and better) movies?

*"I thought that "High Society" took place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania..."* - Sandy K

You'd think that the musical remake of *The Philadelphia Story* would take place there, wouldn't ya?

But I think the premise for having Louis Armstrong in the film is to have him performing at the "Newport (R.I.) Jazz Fest" so the location was changed.

And I guess by the 1950s, Newport was more emblematic of "High Society" than Philly.

Kyle In Hollywood

OH, you're right! I can't believe I forgot about the Newport Jazz Festival part--I love Louis Armstrong and Bing's duet, "Now You Has Jazz."

silly me!

Sandy K

Ah, South Carolina...which reminds me of Mississippi's unoffical motto "What South Carolina is really like."

Anyway, now it's time for South Dakota. My nominee is "Badlands."

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> North by Northwest (Mt. Rushmore)

I (and George Kaplan) concur.

Kyle In Hollywood

How about THE PLAINSMAN, 1936, with Gary Cooper, at least some of which, including the climax, takes place there, in Deadwood?

Personally, I'd say Badlands has more to do with South Dakota than North by Northwest, which takes place in a number of states.

Anyway, now it's time for Tennessee: the first film that comes to mind is "Sergeant York," which strikes me as a flawed movie. We invest so much energy in Gary Cooper becoming a devout Christian and pacifist, then he's supposed to throw the pacifist part away to fight in a war whose justice is never really made clear. Not only does "Sergeant York" not provide the best performance of 1941, it doesn't even provide the best Gary Cooper performance in a Howard Haws film in 1941.

Anyway, does anyone know any other good Tennesse movies?

*"How about Nashville ?"*

Good one 'scsu1975' - though I prefer to never see it again. Once was enough.

I'll add two -

*Inherit The Wind*

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=16639

"The townsmen of Hillsboro, Tennessee, led by Rev. Jeremiah Brown, arrest high school biology teacher Bertram T. Cates for violating a state law that prohibits the teaching of Charles Darwin's theory of evolution."

And one I am not familiar with but would make a point to see -

*All The Way Home* with Jean Simmons and Robert Preston

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=67096

"In the early 1900's Tennessee, a loving family undergoes the shock of the father's sudden, accidental death."

Kyle In Hollywood

Yes, Nashville is a much better movie than Sergeant York. Foolish of me not to have thought of that.

Well, now it's time for Texas. "The Searchers" is an obvious choice, but I much prefer "Paris, Texas."

There are a lot of good films for Texas.

*Rio Bravo* 1959

*Old Yeller* 1957

*The Last Picture Show* 1971

I would like to also mention another one I liked that might not be on par with the others

*Dazed and Confused* 1993

Ok, now it's time for Utah. Does "Wagon Master" get to Utah? And are there any movies set in Utah that don't involve Mormons?

Yes, Wagon Master was filmed in Utah. Part of Brigham Young was also filmed in Utah.

Portions of Western Union were filmed in Utah, so there's your non-Mormon film.

*"So what about Vermont?"*

Welcome to Mandrake Falls

Where the Scenery Enthralls

Where No Hardship E'er Befalls

Welcome To Mandrake Falls

- Longfellow Deeds (author)

In that same vein -

*Nothing Sacred*

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=5725

Newspaper Editor Oliver Stone sends star reporter Wally Cook to Warsaw, Vermont to interview radium poisoning victim Hazel Flagg, who has been diagnosed as having only six months to live.

Kyle In Hollywood

I think *The Trouble with Harry* takes place in Vermont, and it was filmed there as well. It's got some glorious shots of New England in the Autumn, as I recall. And *Theodora Goes Wild* may also be a Vermont film.