Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sugarpuss

Sloppy Editing in March's Now Playing guide

Since I'm a graphic designer, I should be the last one to nitpick at editing text. I know how hard it is. I know that by the end of the day or night, your eyes are straining from the strain of staring at a computer screen for hours.

But I've noticed that since the Now Playing guide has changed its style--I think from the December issue--there's been a lot of sloppy mistakes and bad design work throughout the listings. I understand that everyone is human and that mistakes can happen (and don't start that I'm only paying a dollar an issue.). But if you have a NP guide at your fingertips, please go check out the listings for March 24:

Apparently, "King Solomon's Mines" (1950) now stars Gene Simmons of KISS fame! I never knew that! LOL.

It seems as though the person typing in the listings mixed up the cast for "King Solomon's Mines" and the following movie, "Adam and Evelyne". It's understandable, because it's human error. But it's a bit of a disservice to the lovely Jean Simmons to mix up her name with that of a famous rock star.

With me its a combination of poor eye-hand coordination form birth and bad spelling my My typing skill, "or lack thereof " I do understand you anyonance at mistakes that a editor should have caught, When I write my blog it takes me a couple of hours due to content, and the rest is is editing, (and I still miss stuff..) Thats why it takes me so long to answere post sometimes..

<< But if you have a NP guide at your fingertips, please go check out the listings for March 24:

Apparently, "King Solomon's Mines" (1950) now stars Gene Simmons of KISS fame! I never knew that! LOL.>>

I just checked and all I can say is...WOW! The hair, makeup, and wardrobe departments for the film where more advanced then we thought! ROFL

sugarpuss, thanks for the much needed laugh. 8^D

WOW! LOL You are sooo right!! Inever would have noticed!!

Isin't supposed to be..Stewart Granger & Deborah Kerr...???!!!! LOL! Miss Kerr will be soo ****!

As you say, mistakes do happen. I wonder if the magazine is designed "in-house" or is farmed out. If it's out then somebody with no knowledge or interest in classic films could be doing the design work. Still, I would think that somebody on the TCM staff would have to proofread it. Oh well, far be it from me to make fun of other people's mistakes, I make enough of my own.

Talk about mistakes -- check out the back cover of April's Now Playing guide. They have a photo of Frank Sinatra with the credit Anchors Aweigh. Trouble is he's wearing a suit and his trademarked bow tie and in AA he wore a sailor suit throughout the whole movie. You'd think someone would have noticed that rather glaring error before the guide was printed.

Di

There is also a mistake in the March issue for Ben's article. It says the Unforgiven is from 1978 when it is from 1992.

I guess there is a bunch of people that proof them and the mistakes should of been caught-but everyone makes mistakes. We all human after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if the people who put the NP guide together are underpaid and/or overworked. I wish them the best!

>I wish them the best!

Well it never was my intention to wish them the worst!

I'm just saying, I know we're human, the people who work at NP are human. Mistakes happen. But I spent a year of my life proofreading copy and let me tell you, I got chewed out when I made one little mistake and my pay was horrendous.

Sometimes the errors drive me a little nuts. I think I have OCD at times. There's one on the back of the Feb NP guide about the acting dynasties and they forgot to put a title for Peter Fonda's movie as well. While NP isn't a nationally published guide like Time or Newsweek, it is a publication reflecting a large corporation. They must have switched companies or agencies, because it's been like this since the November issue.

Just my two cents, that's all.

If you've been hired to be a proofreader, than you should proof the copy. If you aren't happy with the pay rate offered then you shouldn't take the job in the first place. IMHO, using low wages to excuse poor work is absurd.

Di