Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
laffite

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

The character actor that appeared in ALL 3 films was nominated for a Best Support Actor Oscar for the 2nd film. What is the problem here? This is a good question and the films are VERY WELL KNOWN. How many bio pics can there be in the 40's where an actor as I've already written played the same character with the same name? I'm very disappointed with you guys :(

I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles--

I guessing this because I'm a Jolie fan--

Williams Demarest played Steve Martin--at liberty--

In The Jolson Story and Jolson Sings Again--

He took Bill Frawley's place on "My Three Sons"

Both Frawley and and Demarest had worked with MacMurray at Paramount.

(3 films?)

Edited by: cujas on Jun 14, 2012 6:24 PM

Thank Goodness, CUJAS to the rescue. :x

Yes, the first was *The Jazz Singer* . Demarest played an uncredited role in the film with Jolson. I thought this was such an interesting piece of trivia. *The Jazz Singer* *The Jolson Story* and *Jolson Sings Again* . William Demarest was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Steve Martin the 1946 film *The Jolson Story*. He again played the role of Steve Martin in *Jolson Sings Again* .Sit-com of course was his role as Uncle Charlie in My Three Sons. .

2 great performers Al Jolson one of the greatest who ever lived imho, and a terrific character actor William Demarest. Bravo Cujas, Thank You, and it's your thread. :x

Steve Martin was also Raymond Burr's name in GODZILLA, I believe. He was certainly a wild and crazy guy.

Edited by: finance on Jun 15, 2012 3:40 PM

Lav that was one right down my alley, thanx!

Next:This dark beauty was born in Germany but of British nationality.

She grew up and was educated in South Africa.

A veteran of the London stage, classic American TV and a number of respectable Hollywood movies, co-starring with the likes of Robert Taylor and James Cagney--She is, however, universally remembered for an iconic sci-fi film of the 1950's that was all-American.

Have a go at this one--

Knew this one right off- Very Beautiful Dana Wynter. One of my favorite sci-films *Invasion Of the Body Snatchers* , she was in *D Day The 6th Of June* with Robert Tayloir and *Shake Hands with the Devil* with Jimmy Cagney. The last end of the year TCM Remebers Tribute included Ms. Wynter, didn't know she had passed until I watched the tribute. I shiver when I think of the scene of Dana Wynter and Kevin McCarthy in the tunnel, when she opens her eyes. One of the most chilling in a sci-fi film. Good question cujas.

Lav, thank-you. Her delicate dark beauty always haunted me. A real dignified beauty.

Lav, you're up next!

In "Pinky"(1949) Jeanne Crain played the mulatto title character...

I think Susan Kohner also played a mulatto in "Imitation Of Life" (1959).

...Also Ava Gardner in BHOWANI JUNCTION (1956)

and

Richard Burton in THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR (1955)

next: This little guy had a big career as a character actor. He's been under the radar screen for decades but you all have seen him shine in scenes opposite big stars like: Irene Dunne, Ray Milland, Judy Garland, Cary Grant, James Cagney, Fred MacMurray and Gary Cooper.

This actor was rarely credited and appeared in only several scenes per movie, so his name isn't well-known. However, his credits are astounding and his appearances outstanding.

Hint: bald-head

Edited by: cujas on Jun 25, 2012 9:12 PM

This character actor aforementioned didn't get billing because he was only in a few memorable scenes--but what scenes and with what Big Movie Stars---

encore une fois--

Hint #1--He gave Irene Dunne and Cary Grant two such scenes in one of their screen classics--

Hint #2--He appeared in several MGM musicals--with the biggies: Gene Kelly, Judy Garland and Eleanor Powell

Hint #3--He even appeared in a classic Alan Ladd noir

This guy's film credits make up a history of Hollywood's Golden Age--whether he got billing or not, he may have been the most called little bald-headed guy to serve a summons, to be a hotel desk clerk, a justice of the peace or a salesman.

Edited by: cujas on Jun 27, 2012 5:46 PM

Miles, I have to say it again, you're a man a girl can count on, with or without taps!

Yes, the great bit character actor was Chester Clute--

My favorite role for him is as the Shoesalesman in "My Favorite Wife" who pretends to be Randolph Scott.--One of the best scenes in a movie with some heavy classic actors.

Hats off to to Chester and to Mr. Miles!

Miles' choice--

Thanks. This one shouldn't be too difficult. There was a singer/actress who started as a teenage singer with a big band that also featured a male singer who would go on to become one of the all-time legends. This actress got into movies in the early forties, but she had to change her first name at the insistence of the studio. She was in mostly "B" pictures until she met a top star and accompanied him on some trips entertaining troops in World War II. The two of them carried on an affair for about fifteen years. During that time they worked together often. They even introduced a song that has become a standard. Her career flourished in the fifties, but it all went downhill in the sixties. At one low point in her career, she actually worked as a stripper in a burlesque club in New York. Who is she and what song did she help introduce?

For a little help, try and solve the puzzle in the "By Any Other Name II" thread..

Edited by: MilesArcher on Jul 1, 2012 1:23 AM

Yes, Marilyn Maxwell's real name was Marvel Marilyn Maxwell. She sang in the Ted Weems orchestra along with a young fellow named Perry Como. When she signed with MGM in the early forties, L.B. Mayer insisted that she change her first name, so she dropped Marvel and used her middle name. She went on many tours with Bob Hope. She helped introduce "Silver Bells" in "The Lemon Drop Kid". She supposedly had an ongoing affair with Bob Hope for about fifteen years. She was only fifty years old when she died. Good work, Lavender. It's your turn now.