Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
laffite

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

A young starlet trying to break into pictures in the early '40s first appeared on Broadway after 1 of TCM's favorite musical actresses came down with the measles. She landed a contract at MGM and went on to star in some of our favorite movies. Who was she, the musical she stepped into and who had the measles??

A Broadway actor starred in a play. Years later, his son starred in an unrelated movie that happened to have the same title. Father and son? Title?

Fi--I've got to give you credit on this one--A unique type of question, on a little known subject. Where did you get this idea--on TCM?

Osgood Perkins was a well-known and well respected actor on Broadway in the 20's & 30's. I bet few people remember him, much less know he's the father of the Movie Star Tony Perkins.

In 1932, Osgood appeared on Broadway in "Goodbye Again". In 1961, Tony co-starred in the movie "Goodybye Again with Ingrid Bergman. Based on a story called I Like Brahms--it obviously was a completely different work from the play. I recently saw it--it's a good international movie, filmed in Paris with French film star Yves Montand.

Correct, cujas...... I found a book in my condo library which will enable to come up with "Broadway to Hollywood" type questions for the next 50 years.....Your thread.

This classic film director created films that defy classification. His versatility and genius in different genres is mind-boggling.

1) He directed a classic Noir with one of Noir's greatest stars.

2) He directed a classic love story about how beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

3) He directed a classic swashbuckler with of course, one of the genre's greatest stars.

4) & My favorite--he directed an adaptation of a classic novel that gave one of Hollywood's greatest actresses her 1st real break.

Director and movies, please--

I'm thinking John Cromwell.

The films involved would be:

*Dead Reckoning* (Noir with Bogart) (although I suppose it might be *The Racket* with Robert Mitchum)

*The Enchanted Cottage* (the love story)

*The Prisoner of Zenda* (with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.)

*Of Human Bondage* (breakthrough role for Bette Davis)

Silver--you're thinking right!

What a wonderful, and mostly forgotten director.

Silver, please take your turn--

Thank you very much!

Random bit of trivia:

A certain unusual musical instrument first appeared in the soundtrack of an American movie just after World War Two. Another American movie making use of the same instrument was released just a few days later. Can you name the instrument, the movies (both very well known) and their famous directors?

Silver--I'm picking up Good Vibrations; they're giving me excitations!

Brian Wilson said he found the theremin in a Hitchcock movie about psychoanalysis called Spellbound. Rozsa's wrote the score for Spellbound in 1945 and later that year he also used the theremin in the score he wrote for Lost Weekend.

Current actor--with unbelieveable range from TV to A-movies; from working class Americans to British Royalty and several real and imagined American Presidents.

Hint: His father was a classic film director.

Hi, Miles!

Yes, from working class guy to the Queen's guy--he's one great actor!

Miles is, as usual, right--

If you have been following my posts on these boards, you will know the answer to this right away. Who was the movie actress who was known as "The Fourth Lane Sister"? The answer is not Liota Lane, who actually was the real fourth Lane sister.

You got it, finance. Gale Page and the Lane sisters played sisters in "Four Daughters", "Four Wives" and "Four Mothers". You're up next, fi.

When I say big-time, I mean someone whose name would have been recognized by some people nationally, rather than just a local band. I believe that the year that it happened was 1937.

I said that the band that is the correct answer was a national band, though not as well-known as Artie Shaw. I know they were well-known. My father mentioned both the band and the singer to me.