Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

"One of mine, (name of movie) with (name of actor, btw, he's a famous British actor) had a dramatic scene at the end, where I'm dying of consumption. Just before my death, ----- is talking to me. He knows I'm dying and I know it. It was very difficult doing. On TV, right in the middle of the scene, when ------ is talking and I'm gasping for breath, they end it, cutting out the death. I look like an idiot."

At this point, I am fairly confident that the actress is Barbara Stanwyck. But the movie must be one that I haven't seen.

Yes, it is Barbara Stanwyck. The film is called THE OTHER LOVE co-starring David Niven. The film is never shown anymore.

Stanwyck has a death scene in the end but for some unknown reason when it was shown on TV, the character Karen (Stanwyck plays) is still alive at the end of the print, cozied up to her doctor as he plays the piano!!! Stanwyck was very annoyed when she viewed the film on tv.

Your thread Liam :)

Yes, it is Barbara Stanwyck. The film is called THE OTHER LOVE co-starring David Niven. The film is never shown anymore.

Stanwyck has a death scene in the end but for some unknown reason when it was shown on TV, the character Karen (Stanwyck plays) is still alive at the end of the print, cozied up to her doctor as he plays the piano!!! Stanwyck was very annoyed when she viewed the film on tv.

Your thread Liam :)

So annoyed that she was able to stop future showings?

I doubt it. If you're interpretation of it not being shown on tv is because of Stanwyck, I never wrote that. For some unknown reason the film hasn't been shown in a long time. That's all I know. According to IMDB (not where I got the rest of the info from) the running time for the film is listed as 95 minutes, but circulating prints run 89 minutes. Those last few minutes of her death scene are not on those copies. I would guess that the film was cut for commercials when shown on tv. Since you're interested why not investigate on your own? I only added this extra info as a matter of interest, the original question I posted was answered correctly.

Liam, it's still your thread

These two legendary actors made their feature film debut together in a movie where both portrayed convicts (one who is paroled and one who escapes in the company of a third convict). Who are these actors and what is the movie?

These two legendary actors made their feature film debut together in a movie where both portrayed convicts (one who is paroled and one who escapes in the company of a third convict). Who are these actors and what is the movie?

Tracy and Bogart? UP THE RIVER?

How about Paul Muni?  His first film, "The Valiant" is about a man on death row.  "I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang" is probably his best known film. 

But SCARFACE is a well-known film that was released before CHAIN GANG (per wiki). This actor was more famous than Muni.

I assume that you are referring to George Raft.  What prison picture was his first movie?  According to his filmography on IMDB, he started out in small roles as dancers and henchmen.  Also, I think Muni is as well known as Raft.  Muni won an Oscar and was nominated five other times, including for "The Valiant".  Raft was never nominated for any acting award.  Paul Muni was a major movie star in the 1930's.  Raft made mainly "B" pictures.  

Spencer Tracy? UP THE RIVER was his first full length feature film,

20,000 YEARS IN Sing Sing was the famous film I think you're referring to??

That's it. ME AND MY GAL has been shown a number of times on TCM, but it's not exactly a well-known film. Yours.