Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD


laffite
 Share

Recommended Posts

That is correct, lav, except that it was a custody trial.  She and Dr. Franklyn Thorpe were already divorced at the time.  She was playing the role of Edith Cortwright in Dodsworth and that's who she channeled throughout the trial.  Ruth Chattereton, the female star of Dodsworth, lent her staunch support during the trial, always accompanying her and sitting by her side during the proceedings.

You're up next, lav.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I know the story. Mary won custody of her daughter in the end, just like Mary's   character in Dodsworth winds up with Walter Huston in the end.  To me, Mary Astor was one of the most fascinating people on and off the screen.

Next

When interviewed about her father, she said that he told her that he fell madly in love with his co-star while filming. Both stars of the film are legendary. Who were the 2 stars and what was the film ?? Extra for who told the story?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 10:42 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Yes, I know the story. Mary won custody of her daughter in the end, just like Mary's   character in Dodsworth winds up with Walter Huston in the end.  To me, Mary Astor was one of the most fascinating people on and off the screen.

Next

When interviewed about her father, she said that he told her that he fell madly in love with his co-star while filming. Both stars of the film are legendary. Who were the 2 stars and what was the film ?? Extra for who told the story?

Lav, Have you got a hint for this one?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a possibility that almost fits the clues,

Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda appeared in a 1935 movie called "I Dream Too Much", although Lucy had a supporting role and Henry was the male lead.  It was a mid-thirties, not late thirties movie.

The two starred in 1942's "The Big Street", which was a Damon Runyon story.

Many years later, in 1968, they starred in "Yours, Mine, And Ours", which was based on a true story.  

If this is the correct answer, then the story would have been told by Henry's daughter, Jane.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Several years before she met Desi Arnaz, it was announced that Lucille Ball had become engaged to Broderick Crawford.  She had been in a movie with his mother.  Who was his mother and what was the movie?

You're too much of a gentleman to ask the unsavory question about what happened to the engagement.🙉🙈🙊 But we'll save that for another day. 

Brod's mother was Helen Broderick, the supporting actress in Fred and Ginger's "Top Hat".

Lucy was the uncredited female clerk in the floral shop scene. She has her back to the camera, but every "I Love Lucy" fan immediately recognized her voice and knew it was her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are correct, Princess.  I found this interesting article.

 

In 1936 Lucille Ball was engaged to be married to actor Broderick Crawford

imageimage

image 

 

 

If they had married and had children, do you suppose they would look like him?

 

Princess, it's your turn next.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

You are correct, Princess.  I found this interesting article.

 

In 1936 Lucille Ball was engaged to be married to actor Broderick Crawford

imageimage

image 

 

 

If they had married and had children, do you suppose they would look like him?

 

Princess, it's your turn next.

Miles, 

It's late so you didn't notice that Star and I tied for this question. 

If she wants it I pass, if not I'll do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2022 at 1:11 AM, starliteyes said:

Broderick Crawford's mother was Helen Broderick and Lucy had a bit part in Top Hat, in which Helen Broderick  played Ginger Rogers' friend.

 

On 1/15/2022 at 1:12 AM, Princess of Tap said:

You're too much of a gentleman to ask the unsavory question about what happened to the engagement.🙉🙈🙊 But we'll save that for another day. 

Brod's mother was Helen Broderick, the supporting actress in Fred and Ginger's "Top Hat".

Lucy was the uncredited female clerk in the floral shop scene. She has her back to the camera, but every "I Love Lucy" fan immediately recognized her voice and knew it was her.

 

On 1/15/2022 at 1:41 AM, Princess of Tap said:

 

Star, Do you want this? 

If not, I'll do it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next:

Ralph Bellamy was a fine actor who ultimately won acclaim portraying FDR.

But prior to that, he was often portrayed in comedies as the guy, who came close, but who never got the girl.

Can you name 4 movies where Bellamy struck out?

Also, list the starring actor who won the girl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Next:

Ralph Bellamy was a fine actor who ultimately won acclaim portraying FDR.

But prior to that, he was often portrayed in comedies as the guy, who came close, but who never got the girl.

Can you name 4 movies where Bellamy struck out?

Also, list the starring actor who won the girl.

1. The Awful Truth - Ralph loses Irene Dunne to Cary Grant

2. His Girl Friday  -  Ralph loses Roz Russell to Cary Grant

3. Carefree -  Ralph loses Ginger to Fred Astaire

4. Brother Orchid  - Ralph loses Ann Sothern to Edward G Robinson 

5. Fools For Scandal  - Ralph loses Carole Lombard to Fernand. Gravey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lav, that's an excellent answer and you got most of my favorites too.

Ralph Bellamy may have been typecast, but he really gave us some memorable moments in those roles.

Lav, you're up.....

6 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1. The Awful Truth - Ralph loses Irene Dunne to Cary Grant

2. His Girl Friday  -  Ralph loses Roz Russell to Cary Grant

3. Carefree -  Ralph loses Ginger to Fred Astaire

4. Brother Orchid  - Ralph loses Ann Sothern to Edward G Robinson 

5. Fools For Scandal  - Ralph loses Carole Lombard to Fernand. Gravey

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks that was fun. Didn't need to look anything up, they were all films I've seen a few times

Next 

A 1950,s thriller/ noirish film that starred a legendary actress had a few similar circumstances that mirrored events in the actresses real life. It involves  past  husbands and her husband at the time of the film.  Actress. Film and extra credit for the husbands names and why ??????

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doris Day is the actress and Julie is the film.  She was married at the time to Marty Melcher, who grew somewhat jealous of the friendship she had with her co-star, Louis Jourdan, who played her obsessively jealous husband in the film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doris and the film Julie is correct

 In her autobiography she talks about how Melcher was angry and jealous of her friendship with Louis Jourdan, Melcher at one point hit a wall with his first.More than " somewhat jealous *. Doris' first husband Al Jordan was obsessively jealous of Doris and would sometimes beat her when she spoke to other men. In her book. she talks about going g to a deli, a man approached her they chatted for a few seconds.When she got back to their apartment, Jordan  beat her punching her in the stomach and throwing her against a wall. She was pregnant at the time with her son Terry 

She also writes about how her 2nd husband George Weidler was jealous of her success and that's what broke up their marriage.

According to Doris, the film Julie brought back some bad memories and Melcher's attitude towards her close friendship with Louis Jourdan did not make for a happy experience for her.

Your thread Star.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/25/2022 at 11:21 PM, starliteyes said:

Doris Day is the actress and Julie is the film.  She was married at the time to Marty Melcher, who grew somewhat jealous of the friendship she had with her co-star, Louis Jourdan, who played her obsessively jealous husband in the film.

Star, it's your thread

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...