Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

laffite

The title of Arthur Godfrey's theme song was used as the title for a movie that featured Goldie Hawn.  However, the song was not heard in that movie, but it was heard in a Woody Allen movie.  What was the name of the song and what was the name of the Woody Allen movie where it was performed?  

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

The title of Arthur Godfrey's theme song was used as the title for a movie that featured Goldie Hawn.  However, the song was not heard in that movie, but it was heard in a Woody Allen movie.  What was the name of the song and what was the name of the Woody Allen movie where it was performed?  

"Seems Like Old Times"is a 1980 film co-starring Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn and Charles Grodin. 

The song was featured in Woody Allen's film "Annie Hall". 

The song was written by Carmen Lombardo and John Jacob Loeb and was a hit for Carmen's brother, Guy Lombardo. 

The song was also a theme song for the controversial redheaded radio /TV host Arthur Godfrey.

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

John Huston is the director his father was Walter Huston. First movie was The Maltese Falcon the 2nd was In This Our Life. Walter was in both so was Lee Patrick ????

Lav, you're on a roll here.

Good job. And two great movies. Your turn.....

This actor was seriously injured in a car accident. The accident caused head and facial injuries. He was in the cast of a major film at that time. The star of the film insisted they film around  the injured actor until he returned, even though the studio wanted him replaced. Who was the injured actor, the film and the star of the film ???

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

This actor was seriously injured in a car accident. The accident caused head and facial injuries. He was in the cast of a major film at that time. The star of the film insisted they film around  the injured actor until he returned, even though the studio wanted him replaced. Who was the injured actor, the film and the star of the film ???

Is it Montgomery Clift? He was in a car accident while filming Raintree Country, also starring Elizabeth Taylor. However, I am not sure this is the right answer because I don't know if there were talks of having him replaced at all.

25 minutes ago, _Broadway_ said:

Is it Montgomery Clift? He was in a car accident while filming Raintree Country, also starring Elizabeth Taylor. However, I am not sure this is the right answer because I don't know if there were talks of having him replaced at all.

Sorry. not asking about Clift. Good guess though. This was a 1940's film and the star of the film that insisted he not be replaced was a male

43 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Sorry. not asking about Clift. Good guess though. This was a 1940's film and the star of the film that insisted he not be replaced was a male

This sounds like what happened to Van Johnson. He had just been signed to "A Guy Named Joe", starring Spencer Tracy, when he had a horrible automobile accident.

The remaining scars always showed on Van's forehead despite makeup.

Spencer Tracy demanded that he be kept on the film and not replaced. Reportedly Irene Dunne , the co-star of the film, backed him up.

Correct Princess, it was Van Johnson. Besides the facial scarring, he had to have a metal plate put into his head. When watching him in films, you can see the scar on his forehead and face. It was Tracy who insisted they film around Van's role, it took 3 months for him to recuperate and the film was A Guy Named Joe.

Good work, your thread.

• Thanks 1

This Academy Award-winning actor was not a matinee idol or considered to be a lady's man, but he married two beautiful and very successful showbiz performers.

One of his wives was an Academy Award nominated actress from Latin America who appeared in an iconic Western. 

And another of his famous wives was a legendary Broadway musical performer who also appeared in films.

When you identify this actor, and two of his wives, also give one of your favorite films for each.

• Like 1

Would  it  be  Ernest  Borgnine ,   Katy  Jurado   was  nominated  for  best  supporting  actress  for   Broken  Lance  1954   One-Eyed  Jacks  1961     Ethel  Merman   for  Alexander's  Ragtime  Band  1938   Thanks

Thanks  Princess  next:  In  the  decade  of  the  eighties ,  this  actress  was  in  two  television  series  at  the  same  time.  Please  name  the  actress,  the  name  of  her  shows and  her  character  name  for  each  show.  Thanks

Thanks.  An actress who had a very long career appeared with Laurel and Hardy, the Marx Brothers, and Abbott and Costello in films.  She also was a leading lady in films with Gene Autry and Roy Rogers.  In addition, she appeared in both a Tarzan movie and a Jungle Jim movie with Johnny Weissmuller.  Can you name this actress as well as the films that I referenced?

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks.  An actress who had a very long career appeared with Laurel and Hardy, the Marx Brothers, and Abbott and Costello in films.  She also was a leading lady in films with Gene Autry and Roy Rogers.  In addition, she appeared in both a Tarzan movie and a Jungle Jim movie with Johnny Weissmuller.  Can you name this actress as well as the films that I referenced?

Virginia Grey in movies with

1. Abbott and Costello - Mexican Hayride

2. Marx Bros. - The Big Store

3. Laurel and Hardy - Our Relations

4. Roy Rogers - Idaho

5. Gene Autry  - Bells of Capistrano

6. Johnny Weissmuller - Dr. Hilary Parker  - Jungle Jim movie

7. Johnny Weissmuller - Tarzan's New York Adventure

????????

Wow, you got them all, Lavender.  I knew it would take some research, so I figured someone could start with the two Johnny Weismuller movies and go from there.  I thought it rather unique that one actress could have worked with all of those comedy teams as well as western stars, and even Tarzan.  Virginia Grey started as a child actress in the silent days.  As a young adult she had a lot of bit parts in films, often as a chorus girl.  Starting around 1937 her roles became more substantial.  She remained busy throughout her career in both movies and television until the mid-1970's, a career spanning almost fifty years.  I saw her recently in an episode of "Wagon Train".  That's when I started thinking about this question.

c0ec08c9982bd35951e38d9766dbd183--virginia-grey-movie-stars.jpg 

She had an on again - off again relationship with Clark Gable, with whom she had worked in 1939's "Idiot's Delight", after he came back from the war, but he ended up marrying other women.  Apparently, Virginia "carried a torch" for him for years and that was why she never married.

Thanks for doing the research, Lavender.  The thread is now yours.

Thanks Miles. Luckily I 've seen some of the films so Virginia came to mind, so not too much research was necessary, just for a few of the films.

Next 

On the first day of filming , these 2 actresses couldn't stand each other and even though they played best friends in this 1950's film, in real life from that first day on they never spoke to each again.  Film and the 2 actesses ??