Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

laffite

4 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Name the renowned character actor whose career spanned the 1930's to the 90's (over 250 credits) who played in the 1938 Rose Bowl.

Interestingly, his 1st movie credit was in the same year he played in that Rose Bowl.

Dub Taylor who played for Alabama?  His screen debut was 1938's You Can't Take It with You in 1938.

Thanks, Magoo!  Interesting trivia about Dub Taylor.  That one took some digging!  Your sports related questions definitely require a little research, at least for me.  

Next:

Dub Taylor was busy in 1938,  adding the birth of his son to the Rose Bowl and budding film career.  His son appeared in 173 episodes of a popular long running TV  series. 

Who is Dub Taylor's son and on which long running tv series did he appear?

His son was, Buck Taylor and appeared in a supporting role for years on Gunsmoke. I did not know this....but it wasn't that hard to find. 

Don't think this lets you off the hook, Peebs. If you confirm my answer I'll come up with something. Something.....DIABOLICAL.....HA    HA   HA HA .....ha....ha.... (hands on hips...head thrown back emoji).

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

His son was, Buck Taylor and appeared in a supporting role for years on Gunsmoke. I did not know this....but it wasn't that hard to find. 

Don't think this lets you off the hook, Peebs. If you confirm my answer I'll come up with something. Something.....DIABOLICAL.....HA    HA   HA HA .....ha....ha.... (hands on hips...head thrown back emoji).

That's it!  Well done, Magoo.  I didn't know about Buck either.  I ran across him looking up your last question.  It looks like he's still acting, recently appearing on Yellowstone.

Yikes!  I await your next fiendishly difficult question.  😉

• Like 1

Here goes.

This Oscar winning actor had a career that spanned 50 years. He appeared in films along side such storied actors as Fred Astaire, Max Von Sydow, James Caan, Orson Welles...and even Bill Murray.

Interestingly, his first and 2nd credited film performances were separated by 35 years. That's the tricky part. Can you name him? Can you name the films that he appeared in with the aforementioned actors? Can you name his Oscar winning role and film?

I think it's John Houseman, who was mainly a producer, director, and acting teacher until he won a Supporting Actor Oscar for "The Paper Chase".  He also appeared in the TV series of the same name.

He appeared with Fred Astaire in "Ghost Story",  with Max Von Sydow in "Three Days Of The Condor", with James Caan in "Rollerball", with Orson Welles in "Too Much Johnson", and with Bill Murray in "Scrooged".  

John Houseman co-founded the Mercury Theater, a radio theater group, with Orson Welles in the 1930's.  The two later had a falling out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I think it's John Houseman, who was mainly a producer, director, and acting teacher until he won a Supporting Actor Oscar for "The Paper Chase".  He also appeared in the TV series of the same name.

He appeared with Fred Astaire in "Ghost Story",  with Max Von Sydow in "Three Days Of The Condor", with James Caan in "Rollerball", with Orson Welles in "Too Much Johnson", and with Bill Murray in "Scrooged".  

John Houseman co-founded the Mercury Theater, a radio theater group, with Orson Welles in the 1930's.  The two later had a falling out.

That was excellent. Did something just trigger that answer? What was the clue that led you to Houseman? I wanted to stump you guys.

I've always loved Houseman. My favorite? "In the future there will be no wars, but there will be ROLLERBALL!"

I had a client way back who had moved to NW CT where I practiced who owned a little country cinema. He had been part of the NY theater scene for years and had retired to our neck of the woods and bought the rundown, country theater and turned it into an art house that showed pretty much foreign and independent films. It became quite popular even as it was not much of a money maker. The guy used to let me and my wife go for free in exchange for services for his many cats. He always said he never had the revenue to attract block busters so he stuck to the quirky, little known stuff. He had been a good friend with Houseman in the 40's- 80's and they often collaborated in workshops, etc. in NYC. He said Houseman was actually incredibly friendly and irreverent. A great party guest. Sadly, he never got him to come up to CT for a visit. 

Regardless, your thread Miles. 

Thanks, Magoo.  There were two clues that led me to the answer.  The first was the Oscar winner with a thirty-five year gap in appearances.  The second was that he was in a movie with Fred Astaire.  I looked at a list of Best Supporting Actor Oscar winners until I saw the name of John Houseman.   I remembered that I had seen him in "Ghost Story" with Fred Astaire.   I remembered that at the time I had recently been to Vermont and I had recognized  some places in the film.  The rest of the answer was then easy. 

Now, an actress, who had a connection to John Houseman, was in some thirties movies opposite such stars as Boris Karloff, Edward G. Robinson, and George Brent.  Can you name her, as well as the three movies with those three  actors?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Magoo.  There were two clues that led me to the answer.  The first was the Oscar winner with a thirty-five year gap in appearances.  The second was that he was in a movie with Fred Astaire.  I looked at a list of Best Supporting Actor Oscar winners until I saw the name of John Houseman.   I remembered that I had seen him in "Ghost Story" with Fred Astaire.   I remembered that at the time I had recently been to Vermont and I had recognized  some places in the film.  The rest of the answer was then easy. 

Now, an actress, who had a connection to John Houseman, was in some thirties movies opposite such stars as Boris Karloff, Edward G. Robinson, and George Brent.  Can you name her, as well as the three movies with those three  actors?

John was married to Zita Johann, who was his first wife.

Her Hollywood claim to fame is her role opposite Boris Karloff in "The Mummy".

She was also in "Tiger Shark" with Edward G Robinson and "Luxury Liner" with George Brent.

This film director was the son of a pioneering silent film director himself.

His career started in France, but he quickly switched to Hollywood, becoming well known for two genres: off beat horror films and noirs.  

When you identify this director, also list one of your favorite movies that he directed.

Thanks, Princess!

Next:  This character actor made his screen debut at age 36 with a small role in a Woody Allen movie.  His mother was a journalist, his brother was a composer and his father was the editor of The New Yorker.   This actor has appeared in movies directed by  Louis Malle, Stephen Frears, James Ivory and  Rob Reiner.   He has also has lent his distinctive voice to animated movies.   He is still working today currently appearing on a CBS sitcom.  Can you name this actor?

14 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Is it Wallace Shawn, who can currently be seen on the sitcom "Young Sheldon"

Inconceivable! (I had to say it.) 

Yes, Wallace Shawn it is.  Well done, Miles.

Your thread...

In the movie "Roberta", Ginger Rogers plays a character who call herself Countess Scharwenka, complete with a rather bad foreign accent.  She was only imitating the actress who had originated the role on Broadway, who's foreign accent was real.  Who was that other actress, who also had a movie career, albeit a rather short one?

You are correct, Starlit.  Lyda (pronounced Leeda) Roberti was Polish.  Her father was a circus clown who called himself Roberti.  She grew up travelling all over Europe in circuses.  Good job, Star.  The thread is now all yours.

41e475111d2e19094ba4a4416b202ffc.jpg   

• Thanks 1

These two actors played father and son in a movie.  The actor playing the son was separated from his wife at the time, while the actor playing his father was dating her.  Once the film was completed, the "son" divorced her and the "father" married her.

Name the two actors and the movie.

31 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

These two actors played father and son in a movie.  The actor playing the son was separated from his wife at the time, while the actor playing his father was dating her.  Once the film was completed, the "son" divorced her and the "father" married her.

Name the two actors and the movie.

Donald O,'Connor played the son, Dan Dailey the father . The movie was There's No Business Like Show Buisnes.Donald and Gwen Carter divorced, Dan Dailey married Gwen Carter

'C

• Like 1