Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

laffite

Thanks. LOL that's 2/3 not a 1/2 !

Next 

2 Oscar winning actresses starred in movies that their real life mothers had roles in. One of the Oscar winning actresses  mothers had roles in two of her daughters films, the other appeared in a film as the mother of the actress. Who were the 2 Oscar Winning actresses,  what were the 3 films and names of their mothers  ???????  ( the Oscars they won are not for any of these films )      

28 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

2 Oscar winning actresses starred in movies that their real life mothers had roles in. One of the Oscar winning actresses  mothers had roles in two of her daughters films, the other appeared in a film as the mother of the actress. Who were the 2 Oscar Winning actresses,  what were the 3 films and names of their mothers  ???????  ( the Oscars they won are not for any of these films )

Phyllida Law appeared with her daughter Emma Thompson in Junior (1994, uncredited) and The Winter Guest (1997).  [She also appeared in Peter's Friends (1992), but Thompson was not the star of that film.  Law has a voice-over role in Nanny McPhee (2005), but hopefully that doesn't count either.]

Blythe Danner appears in the Sylvia Plath biopic Sylvia (2003) as the mother of Plath (played by her real-life daughter, Gwyneth Paltrow).

Thanks for your answer, however those are not the actresses or films I'm asking about. These actresses did star in the films, and the films were golden age films,  decades before the ones you've mentioned

If  no  one comes up with the answer, the thread is yours

48 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

These actresses did star in the films, and the films were golden age films,  decades before the ones you've mentioned

Thanks for the clarification, Lavender Blue.  So...looks like one of them is presumably Joan Fontaine, whose mother, stage actress Lillian Fontaine, appeared with her in Ivy (1947) and The Bigamist (1953).

Not sure about the other one, although Mary Pickford's mother, Charlotte Hennessey, appeared with her in A Victim of Jealousy (1910) and Sweet Memories (1911).  (Hennessey's Wikipedia page lists a third film, The Impalement, but that does not appear among Pickford's filmography.)  I'm guessing this isn't whom you have in mind, though, since those aren't "golden age" films.

Joan Fontaine is correct. Her mother was Lillian Fontaine and did have roles in The Bigamist and Ivy starring Joan. Both films have been shown on TCM.

The other is not the actress

Clue - The other Oscar winning actress that starred in the film that her mother played her mother in is a well known comedy that has been shown many times on TCM. Here's another clue the Oscar winning actresses co- star was an Oscar winner too ( for another film )

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Joan Fontaine is correct. Her mother was Lillian Fontaine and did have roles in The Bigamist and Ivy starring Joan. Both films have been shown on TCM.

The other is not the actress

Clue - The other Oscar winning actress that starred in the film that her mother played her mother in is a well known comedy that has been shown many times on TCM. Here's another clue the Oscar winning actresses co- star was an Oscar winner too ( for another film )

I have to admit it was just about my favorite film when I was a kid.

Ginger Rogers in Billy Wilder's "The Major and The Minor".

Lela Rogers, Ginger's mother, played Ginger's mother in the movie.

To add to the compliment later on in the movie, Ginger portrayed Lela's character--thus pretending she was her own mother in the movie.

I think I got that right.

17 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I have to admit it was just about my favorite film when I was a kid.

Ginger Rogers in Billy Wilder's "The Major and The Minor".

Lela Rogers, Ginger's mother, played Ginger's mother in the movie.

To add to the compliment later on in the movie, Ginger portrayed Lela's character--thus pretending she was her own mother in the movie.

I think I got that right.

Yes you certainly did. Ginger and her real life mother Lela Rogers and the wonderful movie The Major and The Minor.

Joan Fontaine and her mother Lillian Fontaine in Ivy and The Bigamist and Ginger and her mother in The Major and The Minor answers my question.

Since Fausteritz and Princess both answered 1/2 correctly, you guys decide who wants the thread. Thanks and good work both of you.

• Thanks 2

Thanks, Lavender Blue (and Princess)!

-------------------------------------------------

Next (building on Lavender's question):

As far as I can tell*, there are only three Oscar-winning male actors (i.e. actors who won those Oscars specifically for acting) whose father has appeared with them onscreen. 

In the first case, both father and son are/were Oscar-winning actors.  The son's first film role was an uncredited part in a film his father starred in.  37 years later (by which time both father and son had earned acting Oscars), they both had leading roles together in another film.  They played father and son in this film (unlike all the other examples mentioned here).

In the second case, the father was again a well-known (but not Oscar-winning) actor himself, and appeared in two films with his son.  One of the father's roles was quite prominent, and the other was small (though important) and uncredited.  The son has an older brother who is also a well-known actor (and with whom their father has also appeared in films).

In the third case, the father's only credited screen role was in his son's film--which his son also co-wrote and directed.  (The father's only other movie appearances had been in two small, uncredited roles 56 years earlier.  He is better-known as a journalist, anchorman, and TV host.)

Can you name the three Oscar-winning actors in question, their fathers, and the films in which they appeared together?

*(Note: I won't be surprised if there turn out to be other examples of Oscar-winning son + father combos that I haven't thought of--so if you happen to find any, I will certainly count those as acceptable answers.)  🙂

10 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

Thanks, Lavender Blue (and Princess)!

-------------------------------------------------

Next (building on Lavender's question):

As far as I can tell*, there are only three Oscar-winning male actors (i.e. actors who won those Oscars specifically for acting) whose father has appeared with them onscreen. 

In the first case, both father and son are/were Oscar-winning actors.  The son's first film role was an uncredited part in a film his father starred in.  37 years later (by which time both father and son had earned acting Oscars), they both had leading roles together in another film.  They played father and son in this film (unlike all the other examples mentioned here).

In the second case, the father was again a well-known (but not Oscar-winning) actor himself, and appeared in two films with his son.  One of the father's roles was quite prominent, and the other was small (though important) and uncredited.  The son has an older brother who is also a well-known actor (and with whom their father has also appeared in films).

In the third case, the father's only credited screen role was in his son's film--which his son also co-wrote and directed.  (The father's only other movie appearances had been in two small, uncredited roles 56 years earlier.  He is better-known as a journalist, anchorman, and TV host.)

Can you name the three Oscar-winning actors in question, their fathers, and the films in which they appeared together?

*(Note: I won't be surprised if there turn out to be other examples of Oscar-winning son + father combos that I haven't thought of--so if you happen to find any, I will certainly count those as acceptable answers.)  🙂

1. Kirk and Michael Douglas?  They appeared together in Cast a Giant Shadow (1966) & It Runs in the Family (2003).  Kirk won an Honorary Oscar in 1996 for his career. Michael won for Wall Street (1988) 

2.  Lloyd and Jeff Bridges?  They appeared together in Blown Away (1994) & Tucker:  The Man and His Dream (1988). Jeff Bridges won for Crazy Heart (2009).  Beau Bridges is Jeff's older brother.

3.  George and Nick Clooney?  Nick Clooney appeared in Monuments Men written and directed by George Clooney.  George won an Oscar for Syriana (2005)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peebs said:

1. Kirk and Michael Douglas?  They appeared together in Cast a Giant Shadow (1966) & It Runs in the Family (2003).  Kirk won an Honorary Oscar in 1996 for his career. Michael won for Wall Street (1988) 

2.  Lloyd and Jeff Bridges?  They appeared together in Blown Away (1994) & Tucker:  The Man and His Dream (1988). Jeff Bridges won for Crazy Heart (2009).  Beau Bridges is Jeff's older brother.

3.  George and Nick Clooney?  Nick Clooney appeared in Monuments Men written and directed by George Clooney.  George won an Oscar for Syriana (2005)

Yes Peebs, perfect answer!  And thanks for correcting me: I misremembered and somehow had it in my head that Kirk Douglas had won a Best Actor Oscar for Lust for Life.  (He was nominated three times, but never won.)

Great job, and your thread.  🙂

40 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

Yes Peebs, perfect answer!  And thanks for correcting me: I misremembered and somehow had it in my head that Kirk Douglas had won a Best Actor Oscar for Lust for Life.  (He was nominated three times, but never won.)

Great job, and your thread.  🙂

Thanks, Fausterlitz!  Funny, I thought the same thing.    Looking it up, I see that Yul Brenner won that year for The King and I.    Also nominated were James Dean and Rock Hudson for Giant, Olivier in Richard III.

Next:  (I think this might be pretty easy one.)  

This classic film star was married twice.  The first time for 21 years until his wife's death.   Twenty-five years later he married a much younger woman; they were together for seven years until his death.  She proved to be very difficult to work with regarding the use of her late husband's estate and image.  The second wife declined to provide film clips for The Kennedy Center Honors tribute to one of his frequent co-stars, demanding $15,000 per minute of footage used.   The Kennedy Center couldn't afford that and as a rule, no one is paid for the tributes.   She insisted that the segments already shown at the tribute taping in Washington be edited out; those clips did not appear in the broadcast. 

Who is the classic film star with the difficult second wife and who was the co-star that The Kennedy Center was honoring?

I remember when this happened

Fred Astaire's second wife Robyn Astaire refused to give the film clips when Ginger Rogers was being honored at the Kennrdy Center

I never forgot that awful story and what a piece of work Robyn Astaire must be

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I remember when this happened

Fred Astaire's second wife Robyn Astaire refused to give the film clips when Ginger Rogers was bring honored at the Kennrdy Center

I never forgot that awful story and what a piece of work Robyn Astaire must be

That's it, well done, Lav!  I agree Robyn Astaire sounds terrible. A spokesperson for the Kennedy Center Honors when asked to comment about the situation said that they "didn't want beat a dead horsewoman"  a veiled reference to Robyn Astaire having been a jockey.

Your thread 

Thanks Peebs.

Next

Frank Sinatra gave an original Picasso sketch as a thank you to this very famous  Oscar winning director / screenwriter( for other films) for helping with the script for a film Frank was starring in. He was uncredited for the work he did on the script. What was the Film and who was the uncredited director/screenwriter ??

On 4/16/2022 at 11:41 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Peebs.

Next

Frank Sinatra gave an original Picasso sketch as a thank you to this very famous  Oscar winning director / screenwriter( for other films) for helping with the script for a film Frank was starring in. He was uncredited for the work he did on the script. What was the Film and who was the uncredited director/screenwriter ??

This has got to be Ocean's Eleven (1960) 

On 4/16/2022 at 12:41 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Peebs.

Next

Yes, Oceans 11, but there's another part to the question 

4 hours ago, Peebs said:

Oh gosh, I completely missed that part.  Sorry!  Is it Billy Wilder?

Yes, Oceans11 was the Sinatra film. He asked Billy Wildet to help with the script

Billy did Frank the favor, worked on the Oceans 11 script but was uncredited for his help. Frank was so grateful that he gave Billy an original Picasso sketch. I think Billy Wilder working on the Oceans 11 script was so interesting and info most don't know about.

Thanks Peebs for completing the question, good work, your thread.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Lavender!  Yes, I hadn't heard about Wilder working on Ocean's Eleven.  Interesting bit of trivia.

Next:  Sticking with Billy Wilder, at the end of his career he had hoped to make a certain book into a movie.  Another younger, very successful director owned the rights to the 1983 book.    Wilder wanted to make the film as a memorial to his family he left back in Europe.  The movie was made several years later and while Wilder said he would have made the film differently he praised the movie, "They got the best. They couldn’t have gotten a better man. The movie is absolutely perfection.” 

What film eventually made by another younger director did Billy Wilder want to direct as his last film?

30 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Thanks, Lavender!  Yes, I hadn't heard about Wilder working on Ocean's Eleven.  Interesting bit of trivia.

Next:  Sticking with Billy Wilder, at the end of his career he had hoped to make a certain book into a movie.  Another younger, very successful director owned the rights to the 1983 book.    Wilder wanted to make the film as a memorial to his family he left back in Europe.  The movie was made several years later and while Wilder said he would have made the film differently he praised the movie, "They got the best. They couldn’t have gotten a better man. The movie is absolutely perfection.” 

What film eventually made by another younger director did Billy Wilder want to direct as his last film?

It would have to Schindler's List. Steven Spielberg directed the film.

• Like 1