Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

laffite

26 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

It would have to Schindler's List. Steven Spielberg directed the film.

Yep, that's it.  Nicely done, Lavender.  I wonder how Wilder's version would have differed from Speilberg's having lost his mother, grandmother, and step -father in the Holocaust. 

Your thread 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks  Lavenderblue19   next:   Connie  Sellecca   is  famous  for  these  television  shows   Hotel  and  Greatest  American  Hero.  Please  name  her  first  television  show.

5 hours ago, cinemaman said:

Thanks  Lavenderblue19   next:   Connie  Sellecca   is  famous  for  these  television  shows   Hotel  and  Greatest  American  Hero.  Please  name  her  first  television  show.

It looks like she was a regular on a show called Flying High (1978-79).  Before that she was also in one episode of On Our Own as Actress #4 in 1978 .

• Like 1

Thanks Cinema!  

Next: 

A well-known director and his star wanted to shoot this film on location.  The studio thought it would be too expensive and the weather too unpredictable.  The star tried finding locations closer to home that looked similar including Big Sur.  To save money the studio insisted it be shot on their soundstage.  The director had the set dressed each morning with real native plants but he had lost some enthusiasm for the project after not being able to shoot on location.   When it premiered the critics noted that the film felt flat and stage bound.  (I still like the movie but it does look like a soundstage.). Can you name this movie?

Hint:  Earlier the director was nominated for Best Director for a movie with the same star.  While neither man won that year, the movie was named Best Picture. 

Doris Day's 1967 movie CAPRICE was certainly not well-regarded by the critics and neither was her 1968 movie (with Robert Morse) WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT?  

I'll go with those two instead of "Glass Bottom Boat" and "Josie". 

1 hour ago, Terrence1 said:

Well, Gorman, you got one of the two.  I think everyone agrees that "Caprice" was not a very good movie.  The other movie in question was during her Warner Bros. days.

Well, how's about, " It's a Great Feeling"?

Doris was unhappy making Young Man With a Horn but I don't think she thought it was her " worst movie", she was also unhappy and did not want to do LUCKY ME.. The reviews of Lucky Me were not good and she  felt justified in her reluctance to do the film. Melcher made her make the film and it was her last Warner Bros film to finish her contract. Doris considered  LUCKY ME as one if her worst  Warner Bros. films from what I've  read.

Well, all of you have made  wonderful and insightful comments.  And most of the movies mentioned certainly could have been the answer.  The title that I was looking for was "Starlift".  It is sort of a remake of "Hollywood Canteen".  While I agree that it's not one of her greatest films,  for me it's still worth watching once in a while.  And it is fun to see so many Warner Bros. actors together in one movie.  Since Gorman came up with with one of the titles, I feel that he (or she)  should go ahead with another question.

• Thanks 1

When comedian Buddy Hackett appeared on stage or on a TV talk show, the band played him on with an old song called "My Buddy".  That song was also the theme song for a movie actor/musician.  Who was that versatile entertainer?

On 5/4/2022 at 8:54 AM, MilesArcher said:

When comedian Buddy Hackett appeared on stage or on a TV talk show, the band played him on with an old song called "My Buddy".  That song was also the theme song for a movie actor/musician.  Who was that versatile entertainer?

Charles "Buddy" Rogers?

Thank you, Miles

Next:  The origin of the word doodle used to mean a fool or simpleton.  To doodle was to swindle or make a fool of someone. 

What movie popularized the word doodle to refer to a drawing?

"Doodlers... that's a word we made up back home for people who make foolish designs on paper when they're thinking: it's called doodling. Almost everybody's a doodler; did you ever see a scratchpad in a telephone booth? People draw the most idiotic pictures when they're thinking. "

Can you name the movie that changed the meaning of the word doodle?

4 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

That would be "Mr. Deeds Goes To Town".   Mr. Deeds was a tuba playing poet from Mandrake Falls, Vermont who was said by some to be somewhat pixilated.

Well done, Miles.  Bonus points for using the word pixilated!

Your thread

Thanks, Peebs.  Now, a thirties movie that featured Lucille Ball in a featured role was remade in the fifties with Anita Ekberg in the same role, albeit with a different character name to explain her accent.  Can you name the movie?