Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

laffite

14 hours ago, _Broadway_ said:

Here is an easy one, as it is all I can think of at the moment:

Most people recognize the classic scene from Charlie Chaplin's film Gold Rush (1925) where he creates a dance with bread rolls on forks. It has come to be closely associated with Chaplin.

hahah-charlie-chaplin.gif

And it has been recreated in several other films, including Benny and Joon (1993)

ShallowHoarseBluebottle-size_restricted.

However, Chaplin was not the originator of the gag and Gold Rush was not the first film to feature it. Who was the first person to do this gag on film, and what was the name of the film in which it was featured?

Fatty Arbuckle in The Rough House ( 1917 )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I can't picture Ginger Rogers at Warner Bros or in any great Davis role, but "Now, Voyager" was Bette's biggest hit in 1942.

I would copy and paste the paragraph for you but I can't on my phone

Ginger was quoted as saying she "would have given anything to play Charlotte Vale even  if I did let Jack L. Warner beat me at tennis ". 

Glad you got it from the clue, good job and Your thread Princess

• Thanks 1

This actor is thought of as only being a TV actor because he was a regular "team" player in one of the most successful classic TV dramatic series in the early 60s.

But before all that, he had quite a career as a supporting actor in a variety of mostly dramatic and adventure movies, which starred--Errol Flynn, Vincent Price, Audie Murphy and Mickey Rooney, to name a few.

Hint#1--The star of his hit TV series won an Emmy for his role as leader of the "team".

On 6/14/2022 at 6:45 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This actor is thought of as only being a TV actor because he was a regular "team" player in one of the most successful classic TV dramatic series in the early 60s.

But before all that, he had quite a career as a supporting actor in a variety of mostly dramatic and adventure movies, which starred--Errol Flynn, Vincent Price, Audie Murphy and Mickey Rooney, to name a few.

Hint#1--The star of his hit TV series won an Emmy for his role as leader of the "team".

Hint#2--He was a series regular on one of David Janssen's TV shows.

9 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Regis Toomey ?  Richatd Diamond, Private Detective  with David Janseen and Burke's Law starring Gene Barry??

That's not the person that I was thinking of.

When you read the entire question, you can tell me if Regis Toomey fits all the criteria of the question?

BTW--I don't know how busy you are but I've got a Retro way off on, who knows what page, that has your name on it--if you have the time. Thanks

It's fine that you are thinking of someone else but Regis Toomey does fit your criteria. He was in They Died with Their Boots on with Errol, he was in Drums Actoss the River with Audie Murphy, he was in The Mickey Rooney Show, he was in Richard Diamond Private Detective with David Janseen and he was part of the team headed by Gene Barry in Burkes Law

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

It's fine that you are thinki g of someone else but Regis Toomey does fir your criteria. He was in ztThey Died with their Boots on with Errol, he was in Drums Actoss the Tiver with Audie Murphy, he was in The Mickey Rooney Show, he was in Richard Diamond Private Detective with David Janseen and he was part of the team in Burkes Law

When I said that, I thought about you cuz you always said that to me. 😁

But if he fits all the criteria that's okay with me. Even though I don't think of him as a TV actor and I don't know if Gene Barry ever won an Emmy--but maybe he did for Bat Masterson or Burke's Law.

But you've got all your criteria there in researching the question, so it's your thread.

Plus, if you've got time today take a look at that Retro.

Lav, the thread is all yours. Thanks

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

LOL, actually I got that from you, 

Thanks Princess but Regis is close but no cigar. Gene was a  Golden Globe winner, not an Emmy winner, so a new clue for a guess is needed.

Hint#3--The very popular dramatic TV series that he had a supporting role in was controversial for two reasons, concerning the content--there were public protests.

On 6/14/2022 at 6:45 PM, Princess of Tap said:

On 6/16/2022 at 10:42 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#2--He was a series regular on one of David Janssen's TV shows.

On 6/18/2022 at 11:26 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#3--The very popular dramatic TV series that he had a supporting role in was controversial for two reasons, concerning the content--there were public protests.

Fundamental question and hints all together.....

Is it Paul Picerni?  He played Lee Hobson on "The Untouchables".  The series star Robert Stack won an Emmy for that show.  The David Janssen show was "O'Hara, U.S. Treasury".  However IMDB only has Picerni listed as being in three episodes.

image.jpeg.7728b8791350491c20d001ea94e8f26b.jpeg 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Is it Paul Picerni?  He played Lee Hobson on "The Untouchables".  The series star Robert Stack won an Emmy for that show.  The David Janssen show was "O'Hara, U.S. Treasury".  However IMDB only has Picerni listed as being in three episodes.

image.jpeg.7728b8791350491c20d001ea94e8f26b.jpeg 

Rico, Youngfellow, Hobson--first Jerry Paris was second in command, but he had to act in a sitcom, then Anthony George was second in command, but he had to act in a mystery drama.

That gave Paul the opening and he stayed with it till the end.

If you ever get a chance, you have to read his memoirs about Hollywood. He particularly has interesting things to say about his movie with Errol Flynn. 

Miles, I'm one of the original Eliot Ness fans, what about you?

Rico, Youngfellow, Archer--

The page turns, Walter Winchell calls your name--

Good work, Archer--

You're up next.....

This Golden Era Hollywood director is beloved by fans and critics alike. He created and popularized a genre of film, which came to represent the 1930s to a generation of film goers.

He started his career with a popular silent movie clown. He gave two of classic Hollywood's most iconic actors their pieces de resistance. And he championed two of Hollywood's classic actresses with some of their greatest roles.

As a director, he won three Oscars, but left Hollywood to participate in World War II as an Army officer, producing informative films to raise military morale.

His successful career spanned 4 decades, from the 20s to the '60s.

Hint#1--He was born in a foreign country.

When you identify this classic director, and several of his most notable films, also name at least one of the performers he championed and directed in an iconic film.

Also identify the classic Hollywood studio he helped to become legendary.

On 6/22/2022 at 7:35 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This Golden Era Hollywood director is beloved by fans and critics alike. He created and popularized a genre of film, which came to represent the 1930s to a generation of film goers.

He started his career with a popular silent movie clown. He gave two of classic Hollywood's most iconic actors their pieces de resistance. And he championed two of Hollywood's classic actresses with some of their greatest roles.

As a director, he won three Oscars, but left Hollywood to participate in World War II as an Army officer, producing informative films to raise military morale.

His successful career spanned 4 decades, from the 20s to the '60s.

Hint#1--He was born in a foreign country.

When you identify this classic director, and several of his most notable films, also name at least one of the performers he championed and directed in an iconic film.

Also identify the classic Hollywood studio he helped to become legendary.

Hint#2--Though foreign- born, the themes of most of his films were American-oriented.

You must be referring to Frank Capra, who helped lead Columbia Pictures out of Poverty Row.     He started as a script writer with Mack Sennett writing gags for comic Harry Langdon.  Later, he worked several times with Barbara Stanwyck, including the iconic "Meet John Doe".  After winning an Oscar for "It Happened One Night", with Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable, he struck Oscar gold again with "Mr. Deeds Goes To Town" with Jean Arthur and Gary Cooper.  He won a third Oscar for "You Can't Take It With You" which paired Jean Arthur with James Stewart.  They worked together again in "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington".    After the war, James Stewart was looking for a picture to work on after being in the service for several years.   Capra signed him for "It's A Wonderful Life" and the picture has become a holiday classic.

24 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

You must be referring to Frank Capra, who helped lead Columbia Pictures out of Poverty Row.     He started as a script writer with Mack Sennett writing gags for comic Harry Langdon.  Later, he worked several times with Barbara Stanwyck, including the iconic "Meet John Doe".  After winning an Oscar for "It Happened One Night", with Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable, he struck Oscar gold again with "Mr. Deeds Goes To Town" with Jean Arthur and Gary Cooper.  He won a third Oscar for "You Can't Take It With You" which paired Jean Arthur with James Stewart.  They worked together again in "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington".    After the war, James Stewart was looking for a picture to work on after being in the service for several years.   Capra signed him for "It's A Wonderful Life" and the picture has become a holiday classic.

Lovely synopsis of Frank Capra's career. If you were one of my students I would give you an "A". 

"Meet John Doe", co-starring Barbara and Gary Cooper, is my personal favorite.

BTW, Miles, what's your personal Capracorn favorite?

The thread is all yours, keep them doggies rolling.....