Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

laffite

Thanks, Princess.  I guess that "It Happened One Night" is probably my top Capra picture, although the title is a misnomer because it happened over a couple of nights.  I also like "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington".  That reminds me that around 1919, when Frank Capra was quite young and just getting started in the movie business, he got a small part as an extra in a movie that starred Harry Carey.  Twenty years later, as one of Hollywood's top directors, he cast Harry Carey in "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" and Carey was nominated for a supporting actor Oscar for it.

Now, Frank Capra took a romantic comedy that he directed in the 1930's and remade it as a musical more than fifteen years later with many of the original cast members playing the same roles that they had played previously.  What were the names of the two movies?

You got them, Lavender.  Frank Capra confessed years later that the star of "Broadway Bill", Warner Baxter, was afraid of horses.   Bing Crosby, the star of "Riding High" loved horse.  There's even a stakes race name for Bing at Del Mar Race Track.

Uncle Gus. ..oh and Bing Crosby. | Horses, Rare breed, Horse racing 

You're up next, Lavender.  

Thanks Miles

Next

This actor was fired from a hit TV show for awhile for violating a morals clause in his contract. Ironic considering the role he played in the show. The long running tv show was in the classic time period. Actor and TV show ??

• Like 1

A lot of parents were embarrassed at this time because they had to explain to their kids about Hollywood parties and moral clauses.

Perry Mason's nemesis, D.A. Hamilton Burger, also known as the actor William Talman,

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles

Next

This actor was fired from a hit TV show for awhile for violating a morals clause in his contract. Ironic considering the role he played in the show. The long running tv show was in the classic time period. Actor and TV show ??

was suspended from the TV show "Perry Mason" by CBS after the police raided his Hollywood party that reportedly was pretty hot.

Maybe he got Perry Mason to defend him because he beat the rap and he was back on TV in a few months.

For me, the best part of "Perry Mason" is seeing Burger frustrated and defeated at the end of every episode. 🤗🤗🤗🤗

• Like 1

Yes, William Talman was fired for awhile from the Perry Mason tv show  Police got a tip that there was pot smoking at a party. When police arrived,  people there including Talman were naked, some partially clothed and smoking  pot. Talman was arrested but eventually cleared so he was rehired . LOL, yes Burr and the producers did go to bat for Talman, they defended him, maybe not in court, but to CBS, so Talman was rehired. Good work Princess, your thread.

Next:

I hope this isn't too morbid, but this is definitely a part of showbiz/Hollywood and Broadway cultural history.

*Please identify the classic performer or artistic associate who committed suicide or had a questionable death that appeared to be suicidal or accidental. And feel free to make any comments about individual cases.

1) This woman was a newspaper reporter and columnist reporting on showbiz.  She appeared in the movies but was most associated with a classic television game show. Members of her family questioned if she had been murdered due to family issues or a volatile story she had been working on. But the police ruled accidental death by the usual suspects, alcohol and barbiturates.

2) This popular Oscar-winning classic character actor was born in a foreign country. He left nothing to chance for his suicide--leaving several sarcastic suicide notes and consuming large quantities of alcohol and barbiturates to do the job.

3) This woman was a classic Hollywood actress, who was born in North America but not in the United States. She was known for her violent temper and numerous passionate romantic relationships. Reportedly she had severe romantic difficulties, which led to suicide--barbiturates and alcohol.

4) This classic actress was versatile and popular in dramatic, comedy and musical movies. She was considered to be a Hollywood sex symbol but had serious emotional issues which left her hospitalized on several occasions, having overdosed. Her death was ruled probable suicide by acute barbiturate poisoning.

5) This popular classic character actor also was the recipient of an Oscar. His alleged suicide by gunshot had an ugly twist, apparently he also shot his wife to death before killing himself.

6) This actor was famous for portraying a super hero in a classic TV series. Police stated he died of a self-inflicted gunshot to the head. Yet the confusion and upheaval at the site plus questions about an extra-marital affair left questions unanswered for some.

7) This young classic Hollywood actor had a contract with a major studio and was awaiting the release of a starring vehicle when he committed suicide, with a gunshot to the head.

His first wife had also committed suicide in a similar manner. He married a second time, but reportedly he was a closeted homosexual, plagued by trauma. 

*When you identify the individuals,  also name at least one movie or TV series you enjoyed that they were associated with.

3 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1. Dorothy Killgallon , What's My Line

2. George Sanders , All About Eve

3. Lupe Velez, Mexican Spitfire

5. Gig Young, They Shoot Horses Don't They 

6. George Reeves, Superman

??????

Hint for #7--He appeared in numerous WB 42nd St type musicals with Ruby Keeler. One of these was posthumously credited to him after his suicide.

34 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

I believe #4 is Carole Landis.  She was in "One Million B.C." and "Moon Over Miami".  She died on July 5th, 1948.  She was only twenty-nine years old.

Miles, I'm going to give this one to you. But for most of the world there's only one Hollywood sex symbol who fits that description. And that was the one I was thinking of.

The first time I ever read about Carole Landis was in an old movie mag who used her as an example of another Carole who died before her time.

Sad story, hopefully my next question will be on a brighter note.

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

7. Ross Alexander , Captain Blood

Yes, Lav, Ross Alexander is your last one and correct. The story of his life has always intrigued me and I think it would make a good movie.

Lav, you got most of them and now I'm looking forward to seeing what you're going to come up with. Well done.....

Thanks Princess

Next

These 2 actresses were sisters.They were not born in the USA. One was Oscar nominated  and won a Globe Globe for a role that was originally given to her sister.  By the time filming began, her sister was unavailable to take the role

The other sister won a Golden Globe for her role in her first American film. Before her marriage, she had 2 very serious relationships with 2 legendary actors.

Who are the 2 sisters and name at least 1 famous film for each and who were the 2 legendary actors romantically involved with one of the sisters ??????

One of the sisters tragically died young, the other sister is still alive. There is a 3rd sister who was an actress but not as well known as the other 2 were.

Both sisters the question is about were in films that are shown on TCM

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

One of the sisters tragically died young, the other sister is still alive. There is a 3rd sister who was an actress but not as well known as the other 2 were.

Both sisters the question is about were in films that are shown on TCM

French actress Catherine Deneuve had an older sister Francoise Dorleac, who tragically died in an automobile accident in 1967.

They both co-starred in "Les Demoiselles de Rochefort" and my favorite film for Catherine is "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg". And Francoise was also in a film of Francois Truffaut that I liked--

"La Peau Douce".

Catherine was romantically linked with Roger Vadim and Marcello Mastroianni.

She had a child by each man.

• Like 1

Princess, I'll give it to you but it's 2 other sisters I'm thinking about. Did Catherine and her sister  fit the clues about how 1 replaced the other in a movie and because of that role she was nominated for an Oscar and won a Golden Globe and the other sister was  a Golden Globe winner fir her first American film and they had another sister?

5 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Princess, I'll give it to you but it's 2 other sisters I'm thinking about. Did Catherine and her sister  fit the clues about how 1 replaced the other in a movie and because of that role she was nominated for an Oscar and won a Golden Globe and the other sister was  a Golden Globe winner fir her first American film and they had another sister?

No, but that was my best guess. You can keep it going and give more clues. I'm still curious who else you could be thinking of. 🙄

I think that the sisters are Pier Angeli and Marisa Pavan.  They were twins, born in Italy in 1932.  Pier Angeli won a Golden Globe as best newcomer for a movie called "Theresa" from 1951.  She later appeared in a couple of films with Paul Newman, "The Silver Chalice" and "Somebody Up There Likes Me".  She supposedly had affairs with Kirk Douglas and James Dean.  She married Vic Damone.

Marisa Pavan won a supporting actress Oscar for "The Rose Tattoo".  She also appeared in "The Man In The Grey Flannel Suit" and "Solomon And Sheba".  She was married to Jean-Pierre Aumont.  

Pier Angeli died at age thirty-nine.  Marisa is still alive at age ninety.  Their much younger sister, Patricia Pierangeli, did some acting in the seventies and eighties.    She is still alive at age seventy-four.   All this information is available on IMDB.

Here are Pier Angeli and Marisa Pavan.  Don't ask me which is which.

signorinapierangeli: Pier Angeli and twin sister, Marisa Pavan. | Pier  angeli, Movie stars, Twin sisters

• Like 1

Thanks Miles, my next clue was about their being twins. Kirk Douglas wrote in his autobiography that he and Pier Angeli were engaged. The story about Pier and James Dean was that Pier's mother broke up the engagement because he wasn't Catholic. It's all documented info and it's been said that James Dean was broken hearted over it.

Yes Pier Angeli co-starred with Paul Newman in Somebody Up There Likes Me. She won a Golden Globe for her performance in the film Teresa , it was recently shown on TCM. 

Marisa Pavan played Anna Magnani's daughter in The Rose Tatoo. Anna won the Best Actress Oscar for the film and Marisa was nominated for Best Supporting Actress and won a Golden Globe for her performance in the film..

The role  originally went to Pier but she was unavailable when filming began. Both Pier Angeli and Marissa Pavan were beautiful and talented actresses.

Thanks for the guess Princess , Good work Miles, your thread.

PS - they were born in Sardinia, I've known a few people who were from Sardinia and I've always thought they are  very beautiful looking .

• Like 1

Thanks, Lavender.  Many people know that child actor Dickie Jones provided the voice of Pinocchio in the Disney movie, but some may not know that in an earlier movie, not for Disney, he imitated a Disney cartoon character's voice.  Which cartoon character was it and in what movie did he do this voice?