Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

laffite

I didn't say you were right, Lavender, but, of course you were.  Since the thread is open, I'll pose another question.  We're all familiar with Steve Martin the comedian, and some of us know that Steve Martin was a character played by Raymond Burr in a "Godzilla" movie.  Did you know that a veteran  actor was Oscar nominated for playing a character named Steve Martin in a movie?  Can you name that actor and the movie?  The actor later became a regular on a long running sitcom.

On 7/11/2022 at 10:11 PM, MilesArcher said:

I didn't say you were right, Lavender, but, of course you were.  Since the thread is open, I'll pose another question.  We're all familiar with Steve Martin the comedian, and some of us know that Steve Martin was a character played by Raymond Burr in a "Godzilla" movie.  Did you know that a veteran  actor was Oscar nominated for playing a character named Steve Martin in a movie?  Can you name that actor and the movie?  The actor later became a regular on a long running sitcom.

The movie was a biopic about a musical superstar.

The TV series featured three youngsters.

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

The movie was a biopic about a musical superstar.

The TV series featured three youngsters.

I should have gotten this the first time around. Steve Martin and his cello discovered Asa Yoelson and the rest is showbiz history.

William Demarest played Steve Martin in "The Jolson Story" and in "Jolson Sings Again", as Jolie's mentor in showbiz.

Jolie was Scotty Beckett and then he morphed into Larry Parks.

Of course, William Demarest was also the "beloved" Uncle Charlie on "My Three Sons".

*(Miles--"The Husband and Wife" thread still beckons.)

Yes, It's William Demarest, the grumpy Uncle Charlie from "My Three Sons".    His vaudeville days went back to the early 1900's and he was an old friend of Al Jolson.  He even appeared in "The Jazz Singer".

William Demarest Picture 

Nice work, Princess.  It's your turn now.

• Thanks 1

Sibling Rivalry in Showbiz

Unless you're an only child, I don't have to explain this title. Please identify the siblings described.

X1) Two sisters--One was successful in vaudeville and one was successful in burlesque, becoming world famous.

X2) Two sisters--Both won the Academy Award for Best Actress, but one won it twice.

X3) Two brothers--One was a prominent character actor, winning the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, while the other starred in "B"movies, primarily playing "gentleman" private detectives.

4) Two brothers--Both were extremely successful starring in classic TV series from different genres.

X5) Two brothers--One was a top noir star of the 40s, while the other had a successful career in movies and television, but was not a major movie star.

X6) Two sisters--One co-starred in a groundbreaking classicTV sitcom, while the other also became a TV star in a popular classic game show.

X7) A brother and A sister--Both had contracts at a major Golden Era studio. The brother was the director of a crucial technical department, while the sister was a top movie star at that studio in the 30s.

😎 XHuit) Four brothers--These brothers started a major studio in the Golden Era. But only one was in control by the late 50s.

X9) A brother and A sister--The two performed in vaudeville and eventually graduated to Broadway, becoming stars. At the top of their careers, the sister retired to marry an English aristocrat and the brother went on to become a legendary classic Hollywood movie star.

10) Three sisters--These three were children of prominent actors. One was one of the highest paid movie stars of the 30s, while another one was more successful in the 40s and early 50s. Unfortunately a third sister had a limited career in films due to mental health issues.

22 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

4. Maybe Ron Howard in the comedy show Andy Griffith Show and Clint Howard in the adventure drama Gentle Ben ?

Lav, you've already won the thread.

But for #4, I had something else in mind. If you want to try for it, you can.

As I said I'm looking for two brothers who starred in two extremely successful TV series of different genres.

Without being picky that really does exclude Gentle Ben and technically there's only one star of The Andy Griffith Show.

So you can make another guess for #4, if you want to.

*And  #10 is still open as well, if anybody wants to answer it.

15 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

10. Constance, Joan and Barbara Bennett

Lav, 

We can wrap it up there. You did a great job. And I was thinking for #4 of the classic TV stars of Gunsmoke and Mission Impossible.

Lav, this thread is yours, if you have the time. Thanks again

On 7/15/2022 at 6:46 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Princess

In his autobiography, what female dancer did Fred Astaire write was his favorite dancing partner ?

23 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

They were in 2 films together

The 2 films they were in together were released a year apart.

12 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Gee, could it be Rita Hayworth?  The films would be "You'll Never Get Rich" and "You Were Never Lovelier".

LOL, could I have made it any easier ? Fred wrote that Rita was his favorite dancing film dancing partner.

Thanks Miles, for putting this one to rest. Your thread