Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

laffite

Yes, it was easy.  I couldn't believe that no one had answered it already.

Now, when Martha Raye appeared on Judy Garland's TV show, they never mentioned that the two of them shared a relationship of sorts.  Do you know what that relationship was?

image.jpeg.b52a792a6462b7ad856c352cef252da5.jpeg         image.jpeg.acc2b91d57e9eb8eb784791c46f4c070.jpeg

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Yes, it was easy.  I couldn't believe that no one had answered it already.

Now, when Martha Raye appeared on Judy Garland's TV show, they never mentioned that the two of them shared a relationship of sorts.  Do you know what that relationship was?

image.jpeg.b52a792a6462b7ad856c352cef252da5.jpeg         image.jpeg.acc2b91d57e9eb8eb784791c46f4c070.jpeg

(Miles, I passed on the Astaire question and I should also pass on a Judy question too. But it looks like there's no one else who wants to play, so I'll go ahead and answer this one.)

Judy's first husband was Red Skelton's music man, David Rose. 

Martha's second husband was also David Rose.

(Miles, FYI--I've still got a Retro for your perusal.)

You are correct, Princess.  I purposely made it fairly easy hoping for a quick answer.  When Martha appeared on Judy's show, it was at CBS in Hollywood.  David Rose was working right down the hall on "The Red Skelton Show".  They could have had a nice reunion, couldn't they?  You're up next, Princess.

Oh, by the way Princess, I'll look at your Retro thread, and to quote you, "I've got a Husband And Wife waiting for you", or anyone else, on another thread.  

• Haha 1

Next:

This guy did it all--

Had his own classic radio program, had his own classic music/variety show and had his own classic sitcom. He also had a career in classic film.

His music/variety show was in the early days of TV and he won several Emmys.

But, he's best known for his classic, extremely popular TV series--Forever syndicated and with a popular series of DVDs.

Hint#1--His sitcom had a very cute gimmick.

When you identify this actor and his forever popular classic sitcom, also name one of his classic films.

17 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Next:

This guy did it all--

Had his own classic radio program, had his own classic music/variety show and had his own classic sitcom. He also had a career in classic film.

But, he's best known for his classic, extremely popular TV series--Forever syndicated and with a popular series of DVDs.

When you identify this actor and his forever popular classic sitcom, also name one of his classic films.

Hint#2--The sitcom's gimmick had already been used in a series of classic comedy movies.

On 7/18/2022 at 3:50 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

1940's films

On 7/18/2022 at 5:59 PM, MilesArcher said:

Gee, could it be Rita Hayworth?  The films would be "You'll Never Get Rich" and "You Were Never Lovelier".

On 7/20/2022 at 4:01 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Next:

This guy did it all--

7 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#2--The sitcom's gimmick had already been used in a series of classic comedy movies.

"It's not ham, it's spam!"

With all that's going on these days on this website, you have to be Sherlock Holmes to find "General Trivia".

But here it is for your perusal.....

(BTW--I just found out that "Wally" has cancer and is not doing so hot. So let's keep a good thought for him.)

Princess, you must be referring to Alan Young, known to many of us for the sitcom "Mr. Ed".  The gimmick, of course was the talking animal, in this case a horse.  That gimmick had been the basis for the "Francis The Talking Mule" movies of the fifties.  In the sitcom "The People's Choice" there was a talking basset hound, and later in "My Mother The Car" and "Knight Rider" there were talking cars.  Alan Young was in several movies including "The Time Machine",  "Tom Thumb", and "Androcles And The Lion".

Media Confidential: R.I.P.: Actor, Broadcaster Alan Young Has Died 

• Like 1

Princess, you must be referring to Alan Young, known to many of us for the sitcom "Mr. Ed".  The gimmick, of course was the talking animal, in this case a horse.  That gimmick had been the basis for the "Francis The Talking Mule" movies of the fifties.  In the sitcom "The People's Choice" there was a talking basset hound, and later in "My Mother The Car" and "Knight Rider" there were talking cars.  Alan Young was in several movies including "The Time Machine",  "Tom Thumb", and "Androcles And The Lion".

Media Confidential: R.I.P.: Actor, Broadcaster Alan Young Has Died 

It wasn't just acting between Alan Young and Bamboo Harvester. They had a real friendship and Alan visited his fellow actor until the horse's untimely death.

Miles, you did a thorough answer as usual, of course, of course.

Allan "Rocky" Lane would be proud of you.😀

(FYI--The Studebaker commercials are on the DVDs.)

How many of you know the answer to this one? Roy Rogers' famous horse, Trigger, was featured in a big budget movie before Roy ever rode him.  The golden palomino was ridden by a female movie star in a movie that was shown on TCM very recently.  What was the movie and who was the actress who rode him?  Hint:  It was not a western.

How many of you know the answer to this one? Roy Rogers' famous horse, Trigger, was featured in a big budget movie before Roy ever rode him.  The golden palomino was ridden by a female movie star in a movie that was shown on TCM very recently.  What was the movie and who was the actress who rode him?  Hint:  It was not a western.

I'm not supposed to know this answer, but now it's time for me to confess-- I'm a closeted Errol Flynn fanatic.

But as long as you don't tell anybody that I have his movies on DVD, then nobody will know.

My favorite one is, of course --

"The Adventures of Robin Hood".

One day I was watching it and I noticed that Maid Marian--Olivia de Havilland was riding on Trigger. Any baby boomer worth her salt knows there's only one iconic and legendary movie star palomino and that's Trigger.

Sorry Mr Ed, but I saw Trigger first.

Showbiz Runs in the Family--Identify each family member.

X1) This actor was a successful leading man and later transitioned into character actor from the 30s-40s. His son was a successful director a classic film who also acted. The granddaughter is also a successful actress. *All three have won the Academy Award. (3)

X2) The father is a legendary Golden Era movie star. He starred from the 1930s until his death. His daughter followed in his footsteps, starting her career in the 1950s as an actress, becoming a movie star for her generation. His son was  an actor, plus succeeding as a screenwriter, director and producer. And a granddaughter is also a successful actress.*The father and daughter have won the Academy Award.(4)

3) This actor was a Golden Era movie star. One son later acted with him in films. Another son became an extremely successful motion picture studio head and producer.(3)

4) This actor starred in classic films but made a bigger splash with his own TV series. And he produced other classic TV series. His daughter also was successful starring in a classic TV series. His son is a successful film and TV producer up to the present.(3)

5) This man was a world-renowned classical violinist. His son became a classic TV star with two successful series. His granddaughter was also successful starring in a classic TV series. (3) 

6) This man was a world-renowned classical music conductor. His son was the successful costar of a classic TV show which garnered him 2 Emmy Awards.(2)

X7) This man was a Golden Age Broadway musical star of several iconic musicals. He recreated one of his roles in a Hollywood movie. His daughter is a prominent blues artist.(2)

😎 Ocho)This man was a prominent director of The Golden Age-- making era defining movies starring top talent like Bette Davis, Ronald Coleman, Carole Lombard, Claudette Colbert and Leslie Howard. He later specialized in noirs, but the blacklist almost ended his career. His son is an actor who is a veteran of TV and feature films. He has won five Emmy Awards and has been nominated for an Academy Award. He has been extremely successful in hit movies of the last 25 years.(2)

9 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1. Walter Huston, his don John Huston, his granddaughter Anjelica Huston

2. Henry Fonda,  his daughter Jane, his son Peter, his granddaughter Bridget

7. John Raitt,  his daughter Bonnie

We have 3 down and 5 to go.

3. Alan Ladd, David Ladd, the actor, and Alan Ladd Jr., the studio executive.  Don't forget Alan's daughter Alana Ladd, who was also an actress.

4.  Danny Thomas, daughter Marlo Thomas, and son Tony Thomas

5.  Efrem Zimbalist, son Efrem Zimbalist Jr. and granddaughter Stephanie Zimbalist

6.  Otto Klemperer, son Werner Klemperer

8.  John Cromwell, son James Cromwell

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1. Walter Huston, his don John Huston, his granddaughter Anjelica Huston

2. Henry Fonda,  his daughter Jane, his son Peter, his granddaughter Bridget

7. John Raitt,  his daughter Bonnie

46 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

3. Alan Ladd, David Ladd, the actor, and Alan Ladd Jr., the studio executive.  Don't forget Alan's daughter Alana Ladd, who was also an actress.

4.  Danny Thomas, daughter Marlo Thomas, and son Tony Thomas

5.  Efrem Zimbalist, son Efrem Zimbalist Jr. and granddaughter Stephanie Zimbalist

6.  Otto Klemperer, son Werner Klemperer

8.  John Cromwell, son James Cromwell

I love it when everybody plays together and they get the answers fast and quick. It's more fun that way.

Great job Lav and Miles--

Miles, You got the most. So you need to Saddle Up for the next question.....

With so many people looking up their ancestry and family trees these days, you might be surprised how many classic Hollywood artists are related to famous people in history.

Can you match the ancestor/relative  with the Hollywood Golden Era artist?

X1)BhulbhTeon: A leader of Irish Republicans in the 18th century--His descendant is a prominent Hollywood actor known for roles primarily in the 30s and 40s. He was married to a legendary classic movie star and a 50s starlet--who his association with nearly ended his career and his life.

X2)Aarnoud Jan Anne Aleid: A Gov-Gen of Suriname in the 20th century--He was the grandfather of an iconic movie star actress of the 50s and '60s, who's known for her chic and style.

3) Jose' Marti: Cuba's National Hero--He was the grandfather of a popular Hollywood supporting actor who worked primarily in the 30s and 40s. He later became a classic TV "villain".

4) Jose Portuondo y Rizo: the 1st Count of Santa Ines in Cuba--He was the distant grandfather of a Hollywood actor of the 40s, who later became a classic TV star, producer and director.

5) Carlo Modini: an international opera singer of prominence in the 19th century--He was the grandfather of a Hollywood actor of the 50s who became a classic TV star in the early 60s. The Oscar nominated actor later won an Emmy.

X6) The New York Rubber Company was one of the oldest factories in Beacon, New York, having been founded in 1851. Its president committed suicide in 1922,  jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge--He was the father of a prominent leading man/starring actor in the 1930s. In the 1940s the actor became a critically acclaimed film director.(The name is excluded because it's a giveaway.)

X7) This woman chaired a New England state women's suffrage association and also campaigned with Margaret Sanger for birth control--Her daughter became a legendary movie star of the Golden Era and was also a political activist. (Name excluded)

😎 8)This man was the vice president of one of America's top publishing companies--his daughter became a top actress of the 50s and 60s, marrying an iconic film star of that era. Both continued to act, sometimes as a couple, throughout the 20th century.

X9) John Calhoun was the 7th Vice President of the United States. His nephew was Dr. Andrew Bonaparte Calhoun-- Dr. Calhoun's distant granddaughter was a legendary actress and singer of The Golden Era who broke societal barriers by holding a major contract at a top-ranked studio. Unfortunately her political activism resulted in her being blacklisted.

10) Roger Williams: The Founder of the Rhode Island Colony--He had a descendant who became an independent director/producer who created some of the most original and eccentric films of The Golden Era in a variety of genres. In spite of not attaching himself to any one studio, he was still able to direct some of the top stars of classic film--Gary Cooper, Bette Davis, Burt Lancaster, Ernest Borgnine and Joan Crawford.

When you identify the classic Hollywood artist, feel free to list any of their films that you have enjoyed.

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

6  Robert Montgomery's father Henry jumped  off the Brooklyn Bridgr. btw, Elizabeth Montgomery was Robert's daughter

7. Katharine Martha Houghton Hepburn,  her daughter of course was Kathatine Hepburn 

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

With so many people looking up their ancestry and family trees these days, you might be surprised how many classic Hollywood artists are related to famous people in history.

1)BhulbhTeon: A leader of Irish Republicans in the 18th century--His descendant is a prominent Hollywood actor known for roles primarily in the 30s and 40s. He was married to a legendary classic movie star and a 50s starlet--who his association with nearly ended his career and his life.

2)Aarnoud Jan Anne Aleid: A Gov-Gen of Suriname in the 20th century--He was the grandfather of an iconic movie star actress of the 50s and '60s, who's known for her chic and style.

3) Jose' Marti: Cuba's National Hero--He was the grandfather of a popular Hollywood supporting actor who worked primarily in the 30s and 40s. He later became a classic TV "villain".

4) Jose Portuondo y Rizo: the 1st Count of Santa Ines in Cuba--He was the distant grandfather of a Hollywood actor of the 40s, who later became a classic TV star, producer and director.

5) Carlo Modini: an international opera singer of prominence in the 19th century--He was the grandfather of a Hollywood actor of the 50s who became a classic TV star in the early 60s. The Oscar nominated actor later won an Emmy.

X6) The New York Rubber Company was one of the oldest factories in Beacon, New York, having been founded in 1851. Its president committed suicide in 1922,  jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge--He was the father of a prominent leading man/starring actor in the 1930s. In the 1940s the actor became a critically acclaimed film director.(The name is excluded because it's a giveaway.)

X7) This woman chaired a New England state women's suffrage association and also campaigned with Margaret Sanger for birth control--Her daughter became a legendary movie star of the Golden Era and was also a political activist. (Name excluded)

😎 8)This man was the vice president of one of America's top publishing companies--his daughter became a top actress of the 50s and 60s, marrying an iconic film star of that era. Both continued to act, sometimes as a couple, throughout the 20th century.

9) John Calhoun was the 7th Vice President of the United States. His nephew was Dr. Andrew Bonaparte Calhoun-- Dr. Calhoun's distant granddaughter was a legendary actress and singer of The Golden Era who broke societal barriers by holding a major contract at a top-ranked studio. Unfortunately her political activism resulted in her being blacklisted.

10) Roger Williams: The Founder of the Rhode Island Colony--He had a descendant who became an independent director/producer who created some of the most original and eccentric films of The Golden Era in a variety of genres. In spite of not attaching himself to any one studio, he was still able to direct some of the top stars of classic film--Gary Cooper, Bette Davis, Burt Lancaster, Ernest Borgnine and Joan Crawford.

When you identify the classic Hollywood artist, feel free to list any of their films that you have enjoyed.

We've got 2 down and 8 to go.

I believe #1 is Franchot Tone.  He was married to legendary classic movie star Joan Crawford and was very briefly married to 50's starlet later turned prostitute Barbara Payton.  That relationship endangered his life when he was attacked and beaten by one of her boyfriends, actor Tom Neal.  He ended up having to undergo surgery as a result of that encounter.

45 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

I believe #1 is Franchot Tone.  He was married to legendary classic movie star Joan Crawford and was very briefly married to 50's starlet later turned prostitute Barbara Payton.  That relationship endangered his life when he was attacked and beaten by one of her boyfriends, actor Tom Neal.  He ended up having to undergo surgery as a result of that encounter.

21 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

2. Audrey Hepburn

5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

X1)BhulbhTeon: A leader of Irish Republicans in the 18th century--His descendant is a prominent Hollywood actor known for roles primarily in the 30s and 40s. He was married to a legendary classic movie star and a 50s starlet--who his association with nearly ended his career and his life.

X2)Aarnoud Jan Anne Aleid: A Gov-Gen of Suriname in the 20th century--He was the grandfather of an iconic movie star actress of the 50s and '60s, who's known for her chic and style.

9) John Calhoun was the 7th Vice President of the United States. His nephew was Dr. Andrew Bonaparte Calhoun-- Dr. Calhoun's distant granddaughter was a legendary actress and singer of The Golden Era who broke societal barriers by holding a major contract at a top-ranked studio. Unfortunately her political activism resulted in her being blacklisted.

Now we have 4 down and 6 to go.